SingleCue - Gesture Control (Atlast?)

http://singlecue.com/

Just come across this today, ive not purchased nor tested but read several reviews from users who claim to have it working great, and mention of an API and developer access . . . does this solve the previous gap or a realistically priced gesture sensor . . .

Everyones thoughts ?

ps: it even passes @JDRoberts first rule of thumb for a crowd funded project, its now available TO BUY /. . . Not Pre-Order, so im intrigued to see what everyone thinks.

• Integratable ?
  • Use Cases ?
  • Thoughts ?
1 Like

SingleCue is on my list of stuff to buy/try in next few months. Seems a bit pricey for what it does. There is a video using a leap motion to control SmartThings which is a very similar premise.

1 Like

@jodyalbritton - my mate has a LeapMotion, its cheap as chips to buy in the UK (and i think i know why) its appalling, so useless its untrue, it hardly works with its own games / software let alone third party, i reckon they are selling them off in the uk for pennies to save shipping them back to the US haha

however defo let me know how the SINGLECUE goes . . . i am very very intrigued on this

ps: love that video though, very amusing :wink:

Gesture control isn’t new (Kinect probably does it best), so it all comes down to the details of the finished product. And based on the Amazon reviews OneCue runs into all the usual problems. It’s overly sensitive and so you keep setting it off when you didn’t mean to.

The bad:

• Too sensitive to finger movement. I wish there was a sensitivity control in the app.
  • Sometimes would misread a movement as a repeat press of the same button, and the menu would jump all the way up, or the volume would go all the way down (thankfully it didn’t happen with volume up). It isn’t physically possible for a person to make the the pinch gesture 10-15 times in two seconds.
  • If you enjoy having your food while watching TV, or let your kids have meals in front of it, it will keep muting, thinking you are attempting to do the Shhh gesture.
  • Young children. My kids are 4 and 5.5, and they move a lot. It drives the Singlecue crazy, and them too because their movement triggers actions that either stop their movies or mute the tv.

Devices like this are typically really fun to play with for a few minutes but people end up not using them over time because they’re just so much work to get exactly right.

Good for gaming when what you’re doing is playing that game. Not good for typical television watching which is a mixed Mode where you’re also doing other things.

1 Like

And this is what makes the Echo in a class by itself ( for now) . Even after the new wears off and you get tired of asking " her" to tell you jokes, how Skynet is doing, or playing Simon Says. It is still a viable appliance that has become a part of daily life.

1 Like

These are on sale at woot.