Single Push Button Battery Operated Switch

You could use an Aeotec Panic Button mounted behind a decora plate, but this is also not a cheap solution ~$40-$50 if you can even find one. Just another idea.

I asked the question under a separate topic yesterday. I was wondering whether the 2gig wireless doorbell would work. it’s priced from $25-35.

1 Like

I know that the inexpensive Monoprice Open/closed sensor has a set of terminals on it so that they can be used for things like switches and other hard wired open/close sensors. Check out this thread where a user has created an easy button using these monoprice sensors. They can usually be had for around $28 shipped from the monoprice website.

1 Like

It is ironic that we can now buy ZigBee light bulbs (GE Link) for $15, but cannot get a simple on/off or momentary-button switch for under $20.

The market is screaming for it (or at least I am…).

5 Likes

I agree this would be a useful device. I’m thinking of getting a smart outlet to control a light in my house so that I can turn it on when I’m away. But when I’m at home I want normal control over it. Currently the lamp plugs into the wall and I turn it on and off via the switch on the lamp. I’d need to leave the lamp on all the time for the smart outlet to control it, which means I’ll need to be reaching behind furniture to hit the switch on the smart outlet. Sure, I can control it via my phone, but I’d rather have the lamp look like every other lamp that is controlled by a switch on the wall.

I so wish there existed a simple switch that looks like a Decora light switch, that would fit in my existing box, or even just on top of the wall with a battery (that lasted a year or so) that I could assign to actions or lights. It would completely circumvent the issues I have with simple (no ground or neutral) wiring with LED bulbs.

Please. someone. make this.

3 Likes

I totally agree.

If it doesn’t need high voltage wiring, then this might not be too expensive to produce.

Decora style rocker cover plates for a plain Momentary switch shouldn’t be hard to source, and ZigBee is well under $10 in quantity.

Durability and battery life is a challenge.

This is a trivial project for GE or other lighting companies or SmartThings. Is it really lucrative for anyone else?

Cooper makes a zwave dimmer switch that is battery powered, but expensive, $99

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Lighting/Zwave-Wall-Switches/Aspire-RF-RF9500-Battery-Operated-Z-Wave-Dimmer-Switch.html?IXsid=114ek6s4u6sam7j4qf17a4kjl1

SmartenIT makes a nice 3 toggle zigbee switch for $50 that works well. This is the one I’m using for hello home actions:

not to awake an old topic, but, looking for an switch myself.
have looked at the New switch for the phillips hue, not the clicky button, but the battery operated one.
Wondering if this is a zigbee “universal” switch, anyone know?

There are now a number of single button options, including one just recently released by Iris that is a Zigbee device. We track those in the following topic (this is a clickable link)

FAQ: Full list of buttons and remotes confirmed to work with SmartThings [Not all devices listed work with the 2020 Platform]

The new Philips remote is being worked on by some community members, but at present does not work well with SmartThings. You can pair it, but SmartThings doesn’t recognize the button presses. It works well as a parallel means of control, for example in a guestroom, but it can take SmartThings about five minutes to know what the status of the bulb is (which it gets by polling the Hue bridge), and you can only use the Philips remote to control a single group of Zigbee light bulbs.

In contrast, the three new Iris Zigbee devices can be used like a minimote or the smartenit 3 toggle and used to trigger zigbee devices, Z wave devices, mode changes, SHM alarm status, etc.

But again, just see the topic to above, it lists pretty much everything that’s working now and is updated regularly. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi, thanks, great answer!
Then it is as i suspected, only decent working With its intented purpose.
But as ive only ordered one, and yet to recieve, i still didnt know, but had my hopes :smile:
Will follow Your link further, thanks again.

1 Like

Daer community, as my first post, I want to thank you all for all this guidance so far.

I spent a long hours searching for simiar : Push button that is low cost that works with SmartThings Hub. To share, I thought best idea ever is hacking the “Amazon Dash button”. It works with Wifi, can send notification and is only 3 or 4 USD for those installed in the US. Hacking videos show great hacks about it.

Apart from this, next cheapest option would be to get a doorbell button which works with bluerooth

The “Stone”, at 20 USD ( works with bluetooth) seems a great idea. BUt I don’ tknow if it can easily pair with SmartThings

Hakem,

1 Like

An alternative I just tried and it works. Get a simple wired door bell button type device, wire the terminals to one of the monopriced or cheap door window sensors that has terminal connectors and voila. Pushing the doorbell closes the circuit and the door sensor toggles open to close. Now I need to go find a nice door bell button that can be put into a decora face plate and gang box

That’s actually a pretty cool idea. I mean, it requires having a PC running scrapy on it, or some form of packet sniffing program that can do something when a certain packet is picked up. But if someone can perfect the art of hacking Amazon buttons…that might be a cool alternative.

I hope I’m not doing anything wrong by bringing back an old thread… but looks like there isn’t a solution to what the OP was looking for yet. A single push button battery operated switch. If anyone has new insights, that would be great!

The reason I would like something like this is because I automated my window blinds- and because of the way the motor attaches to the blinds, I had to remove the rod which takes away manual control. A SmartThings push button that is battery powered would complete my setup.

Since this thread was started, multiple devices have come to market that can work. Most obvious is the Iris Smart Button, but there are others as well.

1 Like

The Iris looks like a perfect fit assuming the device type code doesn’t have any issues. Gonna try this tonight. Thanks!

1 Like

Lots of people using it, it’s a very popular device because of its price and form factor. The only ongoing complaints have been that if you don’t use it a lot, it sometimes goes to sleep, so you may have to press it twice the first time you use it in a while.

I’m looking for a push button that can act as a door bell.
I’m hoping this can then trigger my z-wave siren with its’ doorbell sound.
Has anyone done anything similar?

Many people. :sunglasses:

You can use any of the button devices listed in the buttons FAQ (this is a clickable Link)

or look in the Quick browse lists in the community – created wiki in the project report section on the “doorbell” list:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

1 Like