SimpliSafe Alarm Integration (cloud to cloud)

Integration still works on my phone with the new app. I had to create a virtual switch for it, though.

Is there an updated device handler that I’m not aware of? In the new ST app, there is no “arm” “disarm” button. Plus the Smartapp does not allow me to login even with the right password.

Same for me. This is what I see, and nothing works.

What follows is 100% my understanding and opinion. I accept being proven wrong.

The key here is a change to the API by SimpliSafe, however the change to the new ST platform exposed the SS change. For whatever reason SS does not want to really support a fully functional API - even though they already require you to pay the additional $15 per month ($10 for basic and $25 for advanced *numbers could be off, I’ve been advanced from day one - years ago.). Complain to SS by threatening your dollars. There is no reason a modern company can’t make a reasonably working API in 2020.

My proof of API change - try logging into SS via a browser (not the app). Notice the newer MFA email challenge. This Device Handler does not trigger this MFA. It is my belief that anyone that has been using this DH and has not required initiating any change (switch from SSv2 to v3 for example) has been able to continue to use the previous system.

NOW: ST change to the new app constitutes enough of a change however , that SS needs to refresh your log in and pass their new MFA challenge. However, as noted this DH will never do that. For now, this DH is dead. (For those that it still works, I suspect you switched to ST new app before the SS API change and thus you are also still stable - for the rest of us = dead).

I have strung together a path through HomeBridge and HomeKit as they have had developers write their own connections.

Set a dimmer: 1% = Disarmed, 50% = Home, 100% = Away. Pass that through to HomeBridge (note i’m actually on Hubitat not ST anymore) and have HB / HK arm SS. Reverse works too if you arm w/ keypad to set up SHM or HSM. Not for the faint of heart however. If you regularly set up rPi’s you can do this.

Solution: get SS to change API, or get an API developer to write a new DH to SS API (buy that person a beer or 50).

Best of luck!

OK, sorry, but we’re doing different things. I’ve never used the ST app directly to arm SimpliSafe. If I have to manually arm/disarm, I usually use the SimpliSafe app. However, I have automations and scenes in the ST app that will arm/disarm SS using the current DTH. I also use SharpTools Rules (which are better than ST’s automations). I created a virtual switch in the ST app to turn SS on/off (so I guess I could do it manually if I wanted to and avoid the SS app). When the switch is on, SharpTools runs a rule and turns on SS. When the switch is off, SharpTools runs a rule and turns it off. It checks to see if it’s already off first so that I don’t get multiple announcements from SS that the alarm is off (which sometimes happened until I fixed my rule). So, in a way, you can arm/disarm SS manually in the ST app if you use a virtual switch and SharpTools rules. The basic SharpTools app is free and so are the basic rules. I cannot figure out a way to directly turn the alarm on in the ST app because as you figured out you only have those four options (i.e., off, strobe, siren & strobe, siren) (so I guess I could turn it off, but I could never figure out a way to turn it on without the virtual switch and SharpTools) (check out SharptTools at Sharptools.io). The Android app integrates with Tasker as well (if you have an Android phone). I use the Android app with Tasker and AutoLocation to open my garage door when I enter a geofence (among other things).

2 Likes

I’ve made some changes to the Device Handler to try and support the MFA authentication changes. It’s still very rough and could use some better error handling / cleanup, but it’s here if anyone would like to test it:

Donations for beer gladly accepted: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=5C9KVK6LLLZRC

@tobycth3, the edits DO trigger the MFA! So promising!

However, with the new Smartthings app, as others note, the device only has the options as pictured (shown) by @ThePennster 8 days ago.

I tried clicking ‘Off’ on my side, all I get is ‘A network or server error occurred’ in the app (on the device) and nothing in any logging - anywhere.

Basics, I’ve been away from ST for a while (2 yrs), over with Hubitat, but my ST hub is still operational. I went to the Device Handlers and pasted your updated code over it and ensured my email and password are good on the device preferences - anything else I need to do? I’ve forgotten so much! :slight_smile:

There are a few code differences between SmartThings and Hubitat. I’ve uploaded a file to the same repo for Hubitat

Do you have the original code available? Mine was working fine until I updated the DTH with the latest code. I couldn’t control SS directly with the ST app, but I was able to turn it on/off with a virtual switch and SharpTools. Now the virtual switch doesn’t seem to control it. I also got a ton of email notices from SS asking about logins from a new device. And I’m getting authentication errors in ST app. As I’m trying this though, I’m wondering where I would have entered my login info in the new DTH? Or would that be somewhere else? It’s been a long time since I installed this originally. Thanks.

All copies of the DTH are on GitHub. You can click history to see the previous versions. SimpliSafe recently added the MFA emails you received. You’ll need to click accept/approve in the email notification before the DTH can login to your account.

I wasn’t getting the MFA emails until I change my DTH. Maybe SS hadn’t implemented it for me yet? ST is no longer controlling SS using my virtual switch. However, I’m not so sure it’s the DTH. On my phone, I had to turn off WiFi to get the ST app to let me turn the virtual switch on or off. When I turn it on/off, it’s supposed to trigger rules in SharpTools. I just set up text messages in the SharpTools rules to let me know if they trigger. I am not getting any texts. Maybe SharpTools is not getting any indication from ST that I’ve changed the status of my SS switch?

I got about 30 emails last night from SS. My fear is that one of them was asking me to confirm the SharpTools IP’s attempt to change status and I missed clicking Verify. I wasn’t paying attention to email because I didn’t know SS had turned on MFA. It was only when I realized that SS wasn’t turning off that I saw the emails. I’m trying to trigger the SharpTools rule with my virtual switch to see if I can generate another MFA email, but nothing’s happening. I’m beginning to think this is mostly an ST issue with communicating between ST and SharpTools

By the way, the DTH I found, which I think is the latest, indicates that you last made changes 3/1/2019. Is that correct? Is that the latest? Thanks!

OK, things seem to be working now, so ignore my last two posts. :slight_smile: I rebooted my Hub. That seemed to fix the issue with it not communicating with SharpTools. After I rebooted, and tried my SimpliSafe virtual switch, I started getting the text messages from SharptTools that my rules were being activated. Then I checked your GitHub and saw that there is a Nov 10 version of the DTH (which wasn’t there when I checked yesterday, which prompted my question about the March 2019 version in another post). I updated the DTH in the IDE. Rebooted the Hub again. Logged in and out of the ST app and voila it’s working again! Yay! Thanks. And I sent you some beer money through PayPal.

LATER: Well, contrary to my last post, the saga continues. I thought it was working. I heard SS go “off” when I turned my virtual switch off. However, when I try to turn it on with my virtual switch, the SharpTools rule runs (I know because I get a text), but it doesn’t turn on. I’ll keep experimenting later today. Maybe it’ll just work itself out somehow

FURTHER UPDATE: I am now able to turn SS on and Off. It seems that my SharpTools Rules are not working properly. Nothing wrong with SharpTools, but I used some If statements in the Rules, such as if the alarm is already off, don’t do anything, but if it’s not off, turn it off. For some reason, the Rule statement checking the current status of SS (i.e., on or off) doesn’t seem to work. Well, at least I got ST to turn the alarm on or off using my virtual switch and rules! I’ll just have to play further with checking on the If statements and status checking.

2 Likes

On the positive side

After being broken for months, the updated device handler works for me now. Thank you @tobycth3 ! The MFA email was triggered and I was able to enable access. I can see the accurate temp of my freeze sensor and I am able to turn off the alarm directly from the device handler.

One the negative side

I am seeing the same strange device options as @ThePennster and the smartapp SimpliSafe Monitor is not syncing in either direction.

I have done some further experimenting. As I commented in another post, my IF statements in my SharpTools Rules are not triggering properly. When I set up a Rule, I can test the Alarm and Status attributes. I usually test Alarm. If it is “off” or not “off”, my Rule does something. For example, if the alarm is already off, my rule will cancel and not turn the alarm off again (because if it did, it would announce every time it got turned off even though it’s off (and it was doing this until I reconfigured my rules, and it got annoying :wink:)). However, SharpTools is no longer getting a correct reading from the Alarm. I tested this in Tasker by flashing the value of the Alarm attributes. Regardless of whether SS is Off or set to Home, the attribute returned is OFF. Did you change something with the reading/reporting of attributes in the new DTH? I might try testing with the older DTH to see if it works again (although I guess there might be issues with MFA). At least for the moment, I can modify the rules so that they do turn SS on or off, but I do get extra announcements. I’ll keep experimenting. Thanks.

LATER: I tried the old DTH. It wouldn’t work at all with SharpTools and Tasker. I had to reinstall the new one to be able to read the attributes of the alarm at all. One thing I discovered is that it seems to take almost a minute or more before the SS alarm attributes changes from HOME to OFF or back again. That might be one reason my IF rules are failing. I might be testing them too quickly, one after the other. Have to do real work now, so maybe more testing later.

@rcbjr2 I’ve uploaded a new version to GitHub, mind giving that a try and see if it helps any?

I will be happy to try it and report back. Later today. :grin:

LATER: Here’s an update. Nothing seems to have changed.

In my “turn on SS” Rule in SharpTools, I check to see if the alarm is already “off”. If it is off, the Rule should turn on the alarm. It should stop if the alarm is already on. However, the Rule stops at this step. If I remove the “off” check from the Rule, the Rule will turn SS on to either Home or Away based upon the current SmartThings mode. For some reason, the Rule is not able to check whether SS is already “off”. This worked until I started changing the DTH.

My “turn SS off” SharptTools Rule checks to see if the alarm is already off. If it is, the Rule should stop. However, regardless of whether the alarm is off or on, the Rule turns it off (so that there are multiple off announcements depending upon arrivals and current states).

So, I’m not sure what’s changed, but SharpTools can’t seem to read the current alarm state, whether it’s off or whatever. I might try playing with the Status attribute, to see if that works at all. But so far it isn’t working like it used to. Thanks.

LATER AGAIN: I think I have a way to solve this for now. I can check the status of my virtual switch. That should work. I’m gonna play with that a bit to see how it goes.

By the way, I see it’s labeled to “fix buttons”. Does that mean I should be seeing options in SmartThings to turn the alarm on/off? If so, I haven’t seen that yet. I’ve installed latest DTH and will test with my SharpTools rules. Thanks.

Not until SmartThings allows the creation of custom buttons again :frowning:

New version published to GitHub

• Improvements to MFA login and Polling