Simplerulebuilder - now private

It’s probably staring right at me, but could someone share how to add the delay? I see the section of the UI that says “Add a delay”. However, I don’t see anything else on the page (buttons, input fields, etc.) to allow me to do so.

EDIT: The issue appears to be that I’m using a mobile (ios) device. I’m able to add a delay in a desktop browser by clicking the “Add a delay” text.

I haven’t done much testing of the rules engine on my phone. I’m sure the formatting on small screens isn’t great at this point. Glad you got it sorted out!

All these new features are sounding good and I think pretty soon I will be able to delete all my smart apps and switch entirely to this.

I am having a problem logging in this morning. It just does nothing when I login; if I put another password in (the wrong one) it says invalid credentials but if I log in with the correct username it just hangs there. I’ll try back later.

The operations I want to accomplish with this engine are:

1. During certain modes, auto lock doors when they are closed (say after 5 minutes)
  2. Change mode based on Sunset Sunrise (right now I am doing this two different ways for redundancy…IFTTT changes a fake button at sunset sunrise combined with this engine; plus the change mode smart app)
  3. If the light is off and it is night time (via mode) Turn on a light when door opens for 5 minutes. If the light is already on; do nothing.
  4. Notify me at certain times of the day that a window was left open or a door unlocked.
  5. Notify me based on modes when a window was left open or a door unlocked
  6. during certain mode notify my (eventually with a siren) that a window has opened unexpectedly.
  7. notify me (siren) that the door has opened without its lock be opened (this could be problematic since communication isn’t fast enough to count on just a simple check of the two sensors; there would need to be some delay)

thanks for all your work!

Feedback Wanted - What needs to happen before making this available to everyone?

So far this has been invite only. I think I’ve sent an invite to everyone that has asked for one. What needs to change or be improved for the rules engine to be ready for a wider release? What needs to be done in order to get to the point where 80% of the people who would ever hear about the rules engine would have no problem setting it up and using it?

Let me know what you think. Anything you have to contribute will be helpful. If you’re thinking it now, someone else will in the future.

Thank you!

Personally, I think what you’ve done is already incredibly useful. The only other thing I can think of that would satisfy all my (perhaps others) use cases is the ability to execute an action a certain period of time after another event transpires.

For example, turn off light only after motion has stopped for 5 minutes.

Smaller concern, is mobile device compatibility. Delay, for example, doesn’t appear to be configrable on iOS devices.

Good stuff, thanks for your reply! I think for the time being I would prioritize something like mobile device capability over additional rule functionality.

I’d like to get to the point where I can confidently allow people to sign up and use the rules engine without me tightly controlling the process. If there is any aspect of it that most people will fail with or be confused or frustrated I want to address it before opening it up. Definitely looking for additional features to build in, but prioritizing getting to the point where more people can benefit from the existing feature set.

Thanks! :grinning:

Thank you so much Joe for this very efficient and skillfully designed concept, I really wish that ST implement it as their default concept.
I’m sure over time you will add further sophistication and fine tuning, I have 2 issues to suggest,
I wish you add a “deactivate rule”, since I sometimes need to stop a rule but I don’t want to delete it and start writing it from scratch.
Also I wish your servers are efficient enough to carry the load when you open it for public without the problems and outages that are associated with ST.
Best of luck

I should be good at finding these areas! :flushed:

For me, I think the big thing is how does this scale? What is your objective? Are you looking to monetize this? open-source it, etc.

My biggest concern is that this is running on a server I know nothing about. I see it as a low-risk thing right now, but I could see down the road, I’m not sure I would want to be involved in this model. And I suspect there are a lot of people that feel that way right now. Your server has access to dozens (eventually hundreds or thousands) of homes. Including thermostats, locks, alarms, etc.

Plus, once the hub 2 comes out, I’m not going to want to go to the web for rules to be processed.

I think you need to think about adding some transparency on what your long-term plans are so users can make a decision on whether they are comfortable with the short-term and long-term consequences of those plans.

-Todd

1 Like

Hi,

Love the web rules engine, only immediate request would be to let me change my password :smile:

-Rob G

All good questions and valid concerns. Let me take a chance to respond.

I think my main objective is to provide an interim solution to the problem of a convoluted SmartApp ecosystem. I built something I find very useful and want to share it with others. I want to help other people have great experiences with smart homes. My hope and expectation is that SmartThings will improve over time and make this rules builder unnecessary. My secondary objective is to influence how SmartThings evolves. I think smart, automatable, controllable are going to happen and it fun to think I might be able to have some small positive impact on how it plays out.

My objectives could change over time. I don’t have any plan to monetize this, but I wouldn’t rule it out. If hub v2, v3, etc come and somehow this software is still useful to people there is at least some chance I would be tempted to monetize it in some way. Either way, I would never create a situation where someone would feel like their home automation system or enjoyment of it is being held ransom.

As far as the rules data residing on an external server goes, I don’t think there is anything I can say to put you, or someone with a similar mindset, at ease. I can tell you I have good intentions, but probably only my actions over time, applied to a lot of people can instill any real level of trust.

Thank you for voicing your concerns.

2 Likes

Tonight, my current mode in the Rules Engine is showing: Home Day when my real mode in ST is Home Sleep. Any ideas on why it did not update?

Also, I’m still trying to figure out how to have a dimmable light turn off after X minutes after I use the Rules Engine to turn it on.

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up, I just fixed a bug in the Mode handling and it should work next time your Mode changes.

To turn a light on and then off after X minutes you should have 2 actions. The first would be to turn the light on. The second would be to turn it off, but with a delay.

Hope this helps, thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Hey Rob, there is a link on the setup page that will bring you to a password reset form. I just uploaded it! :smile:

Thanks, I got it. I guess we are using dim level 0 for off.

Hi Joe
I tried to set a motion detection rule to turn on a hue bulb then turn it off after a set minutes, working fine but I noticed that once its motion sensor is triggered then if there is further movement the sensor does not register the movements,
In ST smart apps, the second trigger resets the first so the lights are on as long as there is a movements, while in our case here, the lights will turn off after the set delay is expired irrespective of any further movements.

Yeah, that is one of the drawbacks of the current state of the rules builder. It isn’t a replacement for SmartApps in all cases (and probably never will be). I am still running a SmartApp for something very similar.

I have been noticing for my rule that I have on the rules engine, the trigger it detects, the conditions it does not follow when using presence/iphones devices to know when someone is in the area and just bypasses the conditions and does the result.

Before I jump into the code, have you double checked that the presence value on the Thing page in the rules builder has updated to show the current correct value?

“ERROR: The rule does not have a name” I like it and it already saved me once… :slight_smile: