[OBSOLETE] Simple rule builder - now private

Trying to get Simple Rule Builder to perform a simple task:
When the luminosity of the Smart Weather Station Tile app (I named it Weather Outside) reads less than 100 lux turn a few key lights on. Since I wanted to test the ideal luminosity for the lights to turn on I started by asking it to send a push message so I could fine tune appropriate luminosity setting. Problem is that I am not getting any push notifications. I know the notification system works because I test if via the ExecuteRule button but it does not seem to work in real time as I can view the lux in the app and it is below the 100 lux value. Is it a problem with the Smart Weather Station Tile app not polling correctly or have I written it up incorrectly? Thanks

try using a value of 100 instead of 100 lux.

Ditto, what Joe said, also do you know for a fact that the light sensor updates as quickly as you would like
 I’ve seen and heard that the weather station tile is slow

@Paulo, out of curiosity why didn’t you use the “Light Up the Night” SmartApp?

I did but couldn’t figure out how to set a specific luminosity level without going into the code of the app.

@Paulo, true because the app uses a set value, BUT

I tweaked ST’s app and created a custom one that allows you to set the LUX level, and also send notifications and/or text message. Just create your own SmartApp and give this a shot:

https://github.com/constjs/SmartThings-Apps/blob/master/my_custom_light_up_the_nights.app.groovy

I tested it several times in the IDE and with my own real devices, and it worked.

Putting in just the number value worked. I received the push notification 9 minutes after sunset. Which got me thinking maybe the easiest way to achieve my result is to just use sunset time as a constant and adjust the time variable +/- as needed. I increased the value to 200 lux to see if that will work as I typically need the lights to come on 5-10 minutes before sunset. While I’m waiting for the results of the new value I’ll try the amended “Light up the Night” code you provided. Thanks for all the help.

Who made SimpleRuleBuilder? Love this community!

2 Likes

@ben was going to say the same, just found this now on this thread, what a great tool !!!

it appears to be @JoeC as seen here:

All of my smartthings run through simple rule builder. I haven’t had time to work on building apps and this, frankly, just works.

1 Like

Yea it’s pretty low key but I use it a lot!

1 Like

Thank you @JoeC for Simple Rule Builder. You just created a very simple and elegant interface that I can use on my computer to generate ST tasks. That has been my gripe with ST from day one, they don’t have a web interface and for some reason they think the phone app in a small screen is the way to go. And just wait a few days after you figure out how to do something on the phone app and try to do it again. I will be darned if I can find where the hell in the app I started at. You and 625alex are providing us with the things ST lacks.

@keithcroshaw and @Sam2b

I just published an update that should allow hello home phrases, mode changes, and push notifications to be delayed. You both had mentioned that those were not working (thanks!). I did some minimal testing to make sure they were working, but would you mind taking a look too? Let me know if you have any issues. :grinning:

Awesome. Thanks for continuing to support this great app!:grin:

I’ll take a look.

@JoeC, thank you! Yes, now both mode and phrase delays work as expected! Nice, thanks so much. This app is very useful.

Hey!

I just picked up a hub v2 in the UK and I’m having trouble getting simple rule builder to authorise. When I login and click through, the ‘from’ list has no options

Can you shed any light?

Many Thanks,
Joe

This is just a wild guess, but other third-party authorisations, including IFTTT, have been failing because they’re going to the US server for the account.

You could start by reporting it to support.

@Jim Could this be related to the change mentioned in ‘Developer Impact - Infrastructure Changes’ post? It’s been a little while since I have thought about the OAuth process, so I am a little rusty. In terms of an installation workflow, when does getApiServerUrl() first come into play? If I remember correctly, at the point where @joealanjones is, I haven’t received any data from the server yet. I’m very likely not correct there though :smiley:

Just started playing around with this (I was waiting until I got my Hub v2 set up so I didn’t have to deal with two setups at the same time), and this is exactly the type of stuff I wish that SmartThings did natively.

I wonder though if there is any possibility of grouping devices to simplify setup (especially for triggers). For example, I might want a rule that uses all motion sensors to detect no motion as the trigger. The way I have done it in my testing is to set the main motion sensor as the trigger and the rest as conditions of that trigger. It’d be easier though if I could say I want my sensor ‘group’ to detect no motion first.

Also, I noticed that when I signed up for the account that my password wasn’t even masked. That leads me to wonder about the security practices behind this. I mean, the site is using SSL, but are there other security precautions being taken to keep data safe?

1 Like

No offense to @JoeC but I used a password generator for that exact reason. Love the site all the same. Having an “or/and” operators in the trigger would be very nice.