[OBSOLETE] Simple rule builder - now private

Been using this on and off for a while, but only looked at it seriously with the seasonal weather change necessitating some changes to my setup. I’ve come to realize this is an amazing piece of work! The “simple” part is really misleading because although it is simple to use, it is by no means simple in the complexity of rules you can set. With the AND/OR conditionals, I was able to create quite a specific automation that would have taken at least three instances of a smartapp to accomplish.

4 Likes

It’s really amazing though that this is not part of the native app.

2 Likes

When you use this, is there any kind of a noticeable delay? Like with IFTTT?

No this is tied directly into SmartThings. It is as far as I understand a native SmartApp.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Hi @JoeC and other SimpleRuleBuilder users… I upgraded to the v2 hub and right after I reconnected the web service I started having problems. Has anyone else had this? I don’t know if SRB is the culprit or not but I removed my account just to be sure and reset my hub, and since then all is better - at least for now. Time will tell since the problem was intermittent. Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? I describe it in detail toward the tail end of the Harmony thread here:

Thanks all.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I was a user with the v1 hub and used the “migrate to v2 hub” feature on the SRB website.

This is really great ! Thanks for building this !
Any possibility to add sunrise/sunset ? (this would enormously help with controlling lighting…)
Thanks again !

I think I get what you’re trying to do - the way I did that is by creating a couple of routines…When the sun rises (let’s call it Good Morning), it sets the mode to “Day”, and when the sun sets (let’s call it Good Evening), it sets the mode to “Night”. Once you have this Day and Night modes, you can easily build a rule in Simple Rule Builder to trigger in specific modes only like Day and Night triggered by the routine. Hope this helps!

did you ever get this to work i have a virtual switch that i can get to show up at all??

thanks

I just tried this out, but I got this failure when attempting to install the SmartApp (v2 hub in US). This error happened after I clicked [Authorize] after selecting a location and some things.

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.
The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.]
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +6542104
SmartThingsRuleBuilder.AccountSetup.getAccessToken(String OAuthCode) +418
SmartThingsRuleBuilder.AccountSetup.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +238
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +51
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +92
SmartThingsRuleBuilder.App_Code.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +37
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +54
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +772

I now see the “Simple Rule Builder” SmartApp, but I can’t get past the AccountSetup.aspx page at simplerulebuilder.com.

My guess is that SmartThings implemented the changes to their OAuth process they were talking about. I’ll take a look at it this weekend, sorry for the inconvenience.

3 Likes

Thanks!

(There’s no inconvenience and no need to be sorry!)

1 Like

They haven’t (yet).

Just one of their 3rd party libraries now won’t work with “GET” for tokens – you need to use “POST”. See the online documentation for the updated OAuth flow.

Hi I’m having an issue with the Simple Rule Builder and a Z-Wave tilt sensor. Specifically http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJMKO24?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

The device is connected probably to the Hub and I can access it directly from the SmartThings native apps. It looks good as well in the graph api site and I do get native alerts. When I click on the device in the Simple Rule Builder, it doesn’t show a status of open or close. It shows nothing under the Current Values section. Any help would be deeply appreciated. I’m trying to set up a rule to send me a push notification at a specific time if the sensor status is open. Thanks!

Does or will SRB support momentary switches? I’m working on the amazing Alexa Helper integration and being able to have SRB control my Nest’s via a virtual momentary switch would be awesome.

Yes I know I could also just use a normal on/off virtual switch but I like the idea of not worrying about a switch’s state in order to toggle my Nest from Home to Away.

Any help on this would rock. Thanks.

1 Like

I just signed up, had some trouble and then signed up again. Now I get the following error message. Any idea how I fix this?

There was an error retrieving some of your location data. Maybe you have multiple modes or routines with the same name (or no name). Or maybe you have another simplerulebuilder.com account?
Debug data:
Id: b4fea94c-0cfe-48f0-be79-373a0c0a1113
Type: HelloHomePhrase
Name: Goodbye!
There was an error retrieving some of your location data. Maybe you have multiple modes or routines with the same name (or no name). Or maybe you have another simplerulebuilder.com account?
Debug data:
Id: 93a73852-7539-425f-87ff-3cac10cc9a4c
Name: Good Morning!
Debug data:
Id: 64bdbd77-b512-4952-bae7-067c80873e2b
Name: I’m Back!
Debug data:
Id: 98cdc435-a71f-438d-8a9f-1889cda159e9
Name: Good Night!
Debug data:
Id: 0778121d-be6e-455c-9f97-a61c3ac512e4
Type: Mode
Name: Home
Debug data:
Id: 299f318e-0f63-4029-a108-1d23d3ac2acd
Name: Bedtime
Debug data:
Id: 2cebe7b2-9775-46de-a31d-49f1da4f4f4e
Name: Night
Debug data:
Id: 04453c3d-ffdc-4320-9b9d-df84903f495a
Name: Away

Thanks,

Matt

It doesn’t like when you have two accounts for one hub. (I know, I shouldn’t let you even do that if it doesn’t like it). I deleted your other account, give it a try now.

Perfect. I don;t even know how I got the two accounts. Thanks so much for doing this!

Matt

Is there any chance that this will be working in the UK any time soon? It sounds great but I can’t get it to connect :cry: