Simple on/off switch for ceiling fan

It looks like you’re trying to put 2 separate loads (light and motor) on the same switch - correct? That’s usually problematic because again, electronic switches are sensitive to sudden current changes and if that light is a LED bulb, we have 2 different inductive loads on a single switch and means problems. Are you 100% sure you only have a single wire coming from the fan to the switch, for both light and motor or do you have 2 wires but both of them connected to one switch (and we could separate them to put them on a double switch for example)?

I’m not sure. Would I be able to tell by looking at the current switch and its wiring?

Can you pull the switch out of the box and take a picture of the wiring?

yeah, we should be able to tell what’s what, but you need to take the switch all the way out and take a straight shot at the inside of the box so we can see which wires go out of which romex and what’s in each bundle. If it’s easier to draw it out, you can also post a drawing of the connections.

Here is another story were voltage/amp “spikes” cause problems.

Turning OFF a celing fan using a regular dumb switch causes a smart dimmer that is in the same box to dim down and dim up. What was weird was the issue was only when the fan was turned off, not on.

I had a regular dumb switch for a ceiling fan, and a smart dimmer for the lights in the room, in the same box. And I think in the same box was part of the issue. Maybe the line was shared for both somewhere? Or neutral?

Turning OFF the fan, if the lights were on and at full brightness, they would dim all the way down to off, and then all the way back to on.

At first I that that the smart dimmer was bad so I replaced it. Same problem. Then I replaced it with a different brand smart dimmer. Same behavior.

Replaced the dumb switch with a different brand dumb switch, same problem with the smart dimmer when the switch/fan was turned off.

It was only when the fan was turned OFF, not on. Which was weird, right, you would think turning on would cause a spike.

I would have left it, but it made my wife nervous that there is a safety issue.

I replaced the dumb on/off switch for the fan with a smart zwave fan switch, and the issue went away with the smart dimmer.

The ceiling fan is a relatively new model with low current draw, but something to do with the “spike” was enough to cause the other switch in the box issues.

1 Like

I’m intrigued. Our guest bedrooms each have a fan with light kit. They’re connected to a two-gang box, one switch turns the fan on and off, the other switch operates the light. Fan speed is controlled by the pull chain.

I’m wondering if the fan switch would work with these fans.

I’ve been using the switch for my fan for years and it’s great, turns the fan on anytime the heat is called for and off when idle. It’s designed for a fan.

1 Like
  • Duplicate post. *

Yes. Keep the chain set to high and the Fan Control can be used to control speed.

1 Like

Found it in Amazon. The white one “usually ships in 1 or 2 months”. :weary:

There’s a Honeywell one for fans that looks similar. (Update: looks like Honeywell is made by Jasco. IIRC, so are GE, so possibly the same switch)

My living room and master bedroom fans use a little RF controller for speed and direction control. I’ve looked at the BOND device but there’s no feedback to tell the actual fan state.