SHM Door Opened When Set Question

I know this has probably been covered already, but doing a search and wading thru all the answers…well…

If I arm the SHM, say to night mode, and a door is open.

1. Do I get a notification that the door is open?
  2. If I then close the door is it then monitored? Or do I have to turn SHM off and back on?

I’m not using SHM now, using my own smartapp. But with the changes in the new version thought I might revisit it.

Mine will actually set the alarm off when i close the door if it is armed with door open. However, it does send a notification that its open when arming. So I have to remember to disarm and shut door and re arm

I do not get the alarm going off when I close an open door/window when shm is set to armed. I simply close the door/window and all is good.

Note: mine is based upon contact sensors in the rules and does not involve motion sensors

So 2 diffferent results here. Interesting. May just have to do a temporary configuration and see what happens.

I would love to know how to fix this issue, its annoying when you forget…

That’s why I wrote my own app. In mine if a door is open when the alarm is armed I get a notification. And the alarm is set to trigger only on a transition from closed to open. So if I close a door after it is armed nothing happens. If it re-opens then all blank lets loose.

Main reason I’m checking now is I am going to be setting up a system for a friend and am trying to keep it as generic as possible.

1 Like

mine sends a message the SHM is armed and XYZ is still open. If I close it, it does not set off SHM. This is in the Classic app.

Once you close it, is it then enabled for the alarm? In other words if it re-opens then the alarm is triggered?

That is correct.

yes it is.

Yep. What he said.

Where are you setting this up? I’d like the same thing.

It’s part of the default setup of Smart Home Monitor Security in the SmartThings Classic app.