Setting up a second home?

(Bob Coughlin) #1

I am a newby, and I want to setup smartthings at a beach house and my mother’s house. Are there any posts that discuss the best way to do it? I am also trying to use Alexa at each house.

There are quite a few community members who have done this, either as vacation homes, rental homes, or for family members.

To be honest, the easiest way to do it is just to set it up as its own account. There are a lot of goofy things you can run into if you try to operate both locations under one account. And somethings can’t really be done at all, which includes having Alexa at both homes and accurately controlling The separate devices. It just becomes easier to have separate accounts.

You can see how other people have addressed the challenges by looking at the project reports posted in the forums. The fastest way to find these is to look at the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, then look down at the bottom of that page for the project reports section, and there is a list there for second homes.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

One of the issues you will have to think about upfront is the physical management of devices. It’s quite common that a battery operated sensor will need to be physically reset from time to time. It’s usually just a matter of taking the batteries out and putting them back in, but obviously if the home is 500 miles away and nobody is physically present that becomes a special challenge.

So there are definitely community members who do have second homes, but it’s not the smoothest process and you should find the project reports of interest. :sunglasses:

(Bob Coughlin) #3

Thank you very much.