Setting up a hub for a customer?

Hi there,
I’m pretty new to smartthings. I have my own hub set up with about 20 devices…

My question is, how are you guys setting up hubs for customers? Do you add a location on your own system and transfer over after its set up? Or are you just setting up up at their location with there phone?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Mike

I guess it would depend on what level of service and what information and control the customer wants you to have after the install is complete. If you are going to be expected to troubleshoot and make updates and add new devices but they are the owners, then I would say you’d want to have the hub owned under their account with their own location and then have you be an authorized user. If they are leasing the device from you and you want to maintain complete control, then adding a second location with them as an authorized user would be the way to go.
The same could be said of a tenant/landlord relationship. If I was the tenant, I would want the hub under my account with the tenant as an authorized user for the hub.

1 Like

Thanks! Is there a way to transfer ownership? I’d like to set up the hub at my shop and link all the devices, as well as upload code into the hub. That way I can just go install everything and hand it over.
Is there an easy way to do that? I’d like them to be the owner at the end

Create a new email address for the purposes of setting up the hub. Use that email address to login, then turn the credentials over to the customer. They could change the password (for the email account and the ST account) if the plan is for you to set it up and say goodbye.

But if you’re setting everything up for them, you should plan on them repeatedly contacting you after it’s setup to ask for help, possibly annoyed because SmartThings isn’t working in one way or another. This is hardly a set-it-and-forget-it system.

2 Likes

AMEN to that !!!

1 Like

Non-personal or Commercial use is considered a violation of SmartThings’s Terms of Use.

You will only use the Services for your personal, non-commercial use, and only in a manner that complies with all laws that apply to you.

Of course, the customary integrators’ workaround is to have their Customer purchase the Hub for their own personal use, and grant temporary permission to have the integrator configure it.

4 Likes

However, if the person was to purchase a “consulting service” from the OP to set up their system for them, then that wouldn’t be a violation, would it? :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!