[OBSOLETE] Send Events to EventGhost

Excellent app @Luma.
Just one question. Eventghost does not report all activities from smartthings. So when I have a smartapp to remind me I left I door open I get a notification on my phone but nothing on eventghost. Can I change that.
Also can I set my Wake on LAN to switch on my PC based on my presence.
Sorry if I missed that one.

Make sure you’ve selected all of the actions you are looking to capture when configuring the SmartApp. If you don’t select the device, you won’t see the activity show up in EG.

1 Like

I have. And it tells me garage is open or closed however it seems that notifications without open close, on off state do not get passed through.
Any way to change this.

Can you paste log output from the action happening which you are trying to send to EG?

Sorry but can you tell me how to do that
 Still new to debugging.

luma
September 29

Can you paste log output from the action happening which you are trying
to send to EG?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
Dechlan_jacobs
September 29
I have. And it tells me garage is open or closed however it seems that
notifications without open close, on off state do not get passed through.
Any way to change this.

Open the log view in the IDE, trigger the action you are looking to capture, and then select the device name for that action to filter the results to only show your device. Copy the log results and paste them here.

1 Like

OK will do that as soon as I get home.
After update 15.8 my hub has been unstable. Might need to wait until that’s fixed as well. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it

How do you set this up? There are not instructions?

I have read through this thread and don’t understand about 98% of what you all are talking about. lol I am looking to be able to do what you have setup, which is be able to turn on and off my computer using Alexa.
Is there any possible way you could either describe what we would need to do or direct me to where there is an actual guide to setup Eventghost and ST?
I will be trying to find more info myself too.

Thanks.

Event Ghost can’t start the computer so you may want to start by figuring out which method you can use to turn on your computer.

The SmartApp CoRE has an action for “Wake a LAN device” that allows you to specify your computer’s MAC address.

My computer doesn’t support that feature, but the bios has a setting for what to do when power is restored so I was able to set that to turn on so that when I turn the switch on, the computer automatically turns on. You can get to the bios setting by pressing the key it tells you to when you first turn on the computer. It’s usually del or f8.

If you’ve figured out that part or decide that you still want to be able to turn it off, even if you can’t turn it on, let me know and I’ll provide more information about EventGhost.

1 Like

OK, thanks. I setup a Piston in CoRE using the WOL feature and have that up and running. I am looking at the info in here about EventGhost now to see if I can figure out how to shut it off as well.

1 Like

After installing EventGhost, skim the EventGhost Short Manual to familiarize yourself with EventGhost.

For SmartThings to be able to communicate with your computer, you need to use the Webserver Plug-in. You can find instructions for configuring the webserver plugin here.

When you’ve finished setting up the webserver, find your computer’s local IP address. If you don’t know how to find it, Google “find local ip address”.

Open EventGhost and then open a web browser and go to your computer’s ip address followed by :8080/?shutdown. The url should look something like:

http://192.168.0.2:8080/?shutdown

That url should take you to a blank page and if you look at the Log window in EventGhost you should see an entry for HTTP.shutdown

The next step is “linking” that url to the shut down command:

1. In the Configuration menu, choose Add Macro

2. Expand System, expand Power Management, choose Turn of Computer and click OK.

3. Drag HTTP.shutdown from the Log window on the left to “Turn Off Computer” on the right.

4. Save the changes.

At this point, navigating to that url should turn off your computer. That url is only accessible from within your network so to execute it from SmartThings you have to use hubaction, but you should be able to find a smartApp or device handler on the forum for that.

Once you’re able to get your computer to shut down by navigating to that url, I can provide more information.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info. I installed EventGhost on my “always running HTPC”. I added the plugin for the webserver and I have all kinds of errors on the log pane. Also when I put in http://192.168.0.19:8080/?shutdown into a web browser it says the website can’t be reached and it timed out. That PC is showing online on Host Pinger.

Did you configure the Webserver Plugin? You can right click that X10 plugin and delete it to get rid of the errors it’s causing.

Did you configure the Webserver plugin?

Why are you trying to remotely turn off a “always running HTPC”?

1 Like

I think I finished configuring the webserver plugin. For the initial setup I went to where I add a username and password and I think that was the end of it because next it was talking about creating a webpage. Or am I supposed to keep going?
I thought I had to install EventGhost on a computer that was always running to be able to turn off another computer in my network. Am I wrong on that?

I really don’t know that much about EventGhost because I just figured out enough for what I was trying to accomplish, but as far as I know, it has to be running on the computer you’re trying to turn off.

Make sure that the HTML Documents root field is set to a folder that actually exists and theTCP/IP port field is set to 8080.

OK. I will go try it on my other pc. Yeah, I see there is a lot of stuff you can do with it but I just want to use it for shutting of my pc. Thanks.

When I configured the web server on the PC I am actually wanting to control I didn’t get any of those errors. Also I didn’t change the port to 8080. I was able to create the shutdown command now.
Now I need to just move onto the next step and setup hubaction.

1 Like

You can probably find a device handler or SmartApp for that.

Edit: You can use the Generic Computer device handler I created for my computer if you want, but all you’ll be able to do with it is turn off your computer.

Sure. Thats the only other thing I need to do. I tried using Send Events to EventGhost but I must have done something wrong and it just kept freezing my hub and it would go offline.