Searching for direction on motion-triggered lighting (will NestCams work?)

Hopefully not too far off topic, but…

Any idea what motivated the change? Was it to support smart devices or is there some other advantage to having neutrals in switch boxes?

It was to support increasing Automation of Lighting systems, mostly, but they thought it would be used for occupancy sensors, not so much RF. But it was the same basic issue: add a control device to a light switch and you have to power it somehow. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. I have atleast some familiarity with electrical circuits from my automotive experience. So essentially a smart switch without a neutral is always on, so that it can complete the circuit. So i would just place the dimmer on the lowest setting, and then the motion sensors could trigger the switch to get brighter

Correct.

And if you find that the lights are still on with it at the lowest setting, you’ll have to try a different brand of dimmer and/or lights.

I had this issue with some Kodak brand Edison-style bulbs. As I said, my home is new enough to have neutrals. I think the problem was a Zooz on-off switch that trickles power for itself. Zooz replaced it with another model.

I also have something like 40 “canless can” LED ceiling fixtures that cannot be dimmed by some models of GE/Jasco dimmers.

In my cases, it was nothing to do with neutrals, but also some issues you might see.

Buy your first dimmer from somewhere that accepts returns and get it installed before the return period expires.

1 Like

I thought the dimming was dependent on the bulb, and not the fixture? Now, i have something else to look into lol

Sorry. If you have bulbs, it’s dependent on the bulb.

We did all LED in the house. Most of the lights don’t have removable, separate bulbs.

For example, the canless cans are similar to these

Bulbs are so last millennium! :joy::joy:

1 Like

As with most stuff, the first rule of home automation applies: “the model number matters.“

The fixture, the bulb, and the switch can all impact dimming performance. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m starting to see that now. I just got all my stuff delivered.

In addition to everything i mentioned here, I wanted to change out the chandelier from my dining room, so I ordered a dome light for that. Thankfully, I got the dimmable option, because the dimming works with the old school dimmer switch that was already installed. In the coming days, I will be swapping out that switch, the hallway switch, and mostly likely the hallway light fixture because I doubt it’s dimmable.

Nice. I did order LED bulbs, but I didn’t get the fancy stuff just yet. lol. I’m balling on a budget bro!

2 Likes

I get it.

We retired and built our retirement dream home four years ago. So, fresh canvas. It was my intention to have all the lights smart at move-in. But … that didn’t work out. So I’m doing them myself as time and money allows.

If you’ve got any ceiling “can” lights, you might look at retrofit fixtures. They’re comparable to LED bulbs and give a nice, clean look. Link below to one on Amazon, not one I’ve used, just an example. You can see it has a light bulb base so would screw into existing can socket.

1 Like

Those do look very nice, i will have to look into it. Just bern struggling to find time lately because I been working 60 hour weeks since July

So i installed the new switch in my dining room. Seems to work just fine, so I proceeded to install the Zooz 4-in-1 sensor. When looking at the sensor notes, I seen that it said to i
download something if I’m using smartthings hub. Does anyone know anything about this, and how would i install it anyway? It just looks like a bunch of code.

That’s a custom “Device Type Handler” (DTH) Written in groovy. Using it will expose advanced features of the device that just using a stock DTH will not. When a manufacturer or retailer recommend you use one, it’s usually a good idea. And if the smartest house or Inovelli recommend you use one, definitely do. :wink:

The following FAQ is old, but it will teach you the basic Terminology and concepts for what you’re going to do. Basically it’s just cut and paste.

You just need to read the sections on device type handlers, not the sections on smartapps. (The topic title is a clickable link)

If you have any problems, talk to the Smartest House tech-support.

1 Like

Only use the custom DTH if you need to access the advanced devices settings. I’d stick with just adding it like a normal device. (Worry about that custom DTH when/if the time comes).

1 Like

Agree with Jimmy.

I have a number of Zooz dimmers and switches but no sensors. They all have custom DTHs and I don’t use any of them. They do expose some advanced features such as multi-tap scene control but I don’t find the features to be useful.

Also, the DTHs are currently created using the Groovy language and what’s called the IDE. Both of those are being phased out as part of a major change in the SmartThings infrastructure.

Install the sensor without installing the DTH. See what device type gets recognized and how well it works.

If it seems to be missing something you need, then go back and install the DTH and edit the device type using the IDE.

1 Like

True, and an important point, but with regard to Zooz, the Smartest House is already working on Edge Drivers for those.

That said, @Automated_House makes a good point that it’s worth trying the stock handlers first. Then if you find that there are some features missing that you want, you can switch to the custom version. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Okay, thanks all. I think it’s working fine for now. I’m trying to figure out the automation’s with trial-and-error. Currently, I made an automation that uses Motion Detected → Luminance and then turns lights on. I’m not sure if the luminance part is working properly but my idea was to adjust the dimming based off of the illumination. So i had like 4 different automation’s, but i can’t tell if its working the way i wanted it to or not. Well atleast the motion is triggering the lights. When I get more time, I will install the hall switch

2 Likes

So update: I got the dining room and hall switches installed and have the zooz 4-in-1 sensors in both rooms aswell.

My only complaint thus far, about the functionality of it all, is i think the motion sensor has a bit more range then what I would like. Sometimes the hall lights trigger when you walk into the dining room and etc. I’m going to go out on a limb, and guess that the custom DTH would allow me to adjust the sensitivity and/or range?

Sensitivity. No mention of range but perhaps sensitivity will take care of it? See article below

Thanks so much. I will take a look.

1 Like