Scout - Called by central station for false alarm, no notification in SHM app?

Just remember that core cannot run locally, so if either the Internet is out or the SmartThings cloud is unavailable, the workaround trigger will never fire. That will be OK for some households, but not for others.

I checked the log while ST was in Disarmed, Armed(home) mode and Armed(Away) with manual trigger of one of the motion sensor.There is a method named isActiveSensor() which gets called and belongs to Security section. For Disarmed mode, a return value of this function is False. For Armed(Away) mode, return value of this method is True but for the Armed(home) mode, return value is NULL. I think ST app is using this return value (or may be calling other methods based on this return value which eventually informs Central station) to let the Central station know about the intrusion events and the central station system (or ST app) is smart enough to handle unexpected values such as NULL (or any values other than true and false) by processing it as True which is the safe thing to do. This is easily reproducible issue. Disarming the system within 90 seconds seems to work. I manually triggered motion sensors in Armed(home) mode and disarmed the system after aforementioned method gets called and did not get any calls from Central Station (did this test few times).

Does anyone have any idea on the current status of this issue ? Did someone work on it or actively working on it ?

Tagging @slagleā€¦

1 Like

Best bet is to continue to work with Support on this if you arenā€™t already.

Having the exact same issue logged a ticket with support no formal eta but they indicated they were aware of it. I had to disable all of my motion sensors with scout ( they can only do this for up to 72 hours at a time ) but that was a better solution than removing the motion sensors entirely as I am using them for other automations. I agree with the previous post I was able to check the logs with one of the incidents and it is definitely tripping the smart home monitor on scouts end.

1 Like

I also had a support ticket issued.

Here is what they are saying so far:

Hi Ryan,

ā€œThis is the first time anything like this has happened in my experience, and I have about a year of history.
Based on the engineerā€™s chatter, itā€™s a slight difference in state reporting between SmartThings and Scout, so hopefully itā€™s a quick fix.ā€

Hopefully we can get a solution deployed quickly. Iā€™ll keep everyone posted.

1 Like

Great. Now they call it a CHATTER !! Amazing but not amazing. Iā€™d say have your SW engineers write SOLID codes. #socalledchatterengineer

Officially acknowledged as a bug :bug: by Scout??

+1 impacted here.

Have been told by SM Support that as ā€œthis is a third-party service issue it wonā€™t be showing up on our Platform Status Pageā€, which is strange, given that this is a supported package / installation, and appears tied to recent firmware & code updates.

When asking about a partial refund for loss of Scout service (which I have received in the past) - "you will want to contact Scout directly on their [Scout Contact Page](https://www.scoutalarm.com/support#contact_us)

1 Like

Issue no longer present.

at least with my ST system.

1 Like

FYI - Hereā€™s what I received from Scout Support, on 4/18:

"Steve replied
Apr 18, 7:06pm
Hi Andrew,

Well thatā€™s strange, Smartthings had issues producing valid api tokens for the Scout smartapp after they released an update, which was causing the misinterpreted statuses. They corrected the issue last Friday and everything seems to be operating properly now. Were you still having issues with your alarm triggering while in the disabled mode? As a token of goodwill I added a credit to your account for next month, but please let us know if youā€™re still experiencing any unusual behavior."

So, to recap:

• Scout states that this was an API token issue, caused by Smartthings
  • This was corrected 4/14/17
  • Scout was willing to provide a credit (unknown how much yet) for the issue

Havenā€™t seen this issue since, so I assume that SmartThings worked this out with Scout

Thanks for the updates. I had been reasonably happy with my workaround but glad that they have fixed it. Obviously, I donā€™t log into the forums enough.

Iā€™ll look into contacting Scout for a credit, not expecting a lot but would be nice to get 10% back for the last 6 months or so.

So I added a motion sensor back to the Armed/Away group in SHM. Armed the alarm to Home, got a call from scout a few minutes later. Looks like Iā€™ll have to either set up SHM from scratch or call scout again.

Same issue here since a couple of days. Every motion detected by a Smartthings Motion Detector during in while in status ā€œArmed Homeā€ and I receive a call from Scout Central Station without any alarm in SHM. Anyone else noticing this issue again?

No issues during the past months. Looks like itā€™s time to go with a more reliable system.