Schlage Century showing unknown status when locked

Installed a Schlage Century deadbolt. Seems to be working fine, responds to lock and unlock. However, when locked the status shows “unknown”. When unlocked it shows “Unlocked”. Paired and unpaired the lock several times. Moved the hub to about 5 feet away. No change. Any ideas?

1 Like

Unknown means that the lock has jammed. This can be due to the door being misaligned or the deadbolt not being able to extend fully. Try locking and unlocking it with the door open to confirm that that’s the issue.

It’s also worth mentioning that we’ll be adding a “jammed” status in-app sometime in the future.

3 Likes

Hi Tyler,

Tried open and closed, same result either way. Taking it apart to see if there is some kind of binding in the door though.

Try resetting it. I have to do this with my Kwik lock a lot.

Turns out the the lock was turning the inside knob back just a bit after it locked. Enough to trigger the unknown status. Called Schlage and they are sending a new lock.

3 Likes

@jimvernier : Did the replacement lock fix the issue? I’m having the same problem (unknown status). I have two other locks that work fine but this one has this issue. They’re sending me a replacement, just hoping to find out if it worked for you in the end!

Thanks Jim

1 Like

Hi, The new lock resolved the issue completely. Schlage customer service
was awesome. In my case you could see that the lock “locked” and then the
knob just bumped back a little, enough to result in the unknown status.
Something in the internal gearing. The new lock has been working reliably
since I posted that message, at least more than a year.

2 Likes

Thank you for confirming Jim!

It sounds precisely like what I am dealing with, though I didn’t fully realize it.

For me it was initially inconsistent behavior. Sometimes when I pushed the Schlage button on the outside it would lock the door, other times it wouldn’t, but if I manually locked/unlocked it, it would work again.

The locking mechanism seemed to do weird things, like you describe, where it seemed to lock and then keep turning in both directions.

That mostly stopped, but the status wouldn’t remain known. You could lock it and unlock it and it would show the status for a couple seconds, and then it would go to unknown. There were some days where the status would remain…I believe those are times that I manually locked it though.

Schlage has a new lock on the way, but I was always worried that there was something else wrong.

I appreciate you responding and letting me know it worked!

------
Huntting Buckley
daethon@gmail.com
415-515-2380

Please excuse any typographical errors.

1 Like

I have the same issue with same lock thank you for the clarification. I am hoping jammed status will be implemented soon. :+1:

1 Like

I have the same problem with a Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt. When it unlocks, it says “unlocked”, then a few seconds later, it says, “unknown.” If I turn the knob a little, it will again say, “unlocked”.
Schlage support believes that it’s the Smartthings hub that’s the problem…but he offered to send me a new lock. He said it would take over a week for me to get it; I decided to order a new one from Amazon; then I can get a “replacement” in 2 days. I can ship the “bad” lock back later for credit.
Also whenever you manually unlock with the knob, Alexa can’t lock the door and says there’s an error. I have a new lock on the way. I need the lock to be 100% reliable.

Note: I tested the lock with the door open and closed; that doesn’t make any difference.
I factory reset the hub and the Schlage device and started over…no difference. The hub is less than 10 feet from the Schlage device.

That’s weird. For me it was a defective lock. When I got the new one everything started working.

------
Huntting Buckley
daethon@gmail.com
415-515-2380

Please excuse any typographical errors.