Schlage Camelot - Not Reliable w/ Generic Driver

I have Schlage Camelot deadbolts on multiple homes which all became highly unreliable when I swapped from the Groovy based device driver (Rboy) to the Generic Z-Wave Lock w/ Codes driver. They only occasionally work and after several minutes of delays in communicating with the hub. In an attempt to remedy this I excluded one of my test locks from the system, and did an automatic device add.

Problem - The device is immediately added back my network using the old Groovy driver published for my account! Smartthings itself decides that thatā€™s the best driver and selects it. And the lock works perfectly.

So - should I just leave the lock using the old driver and hope for the best? This seems like a ā€œrolling the diceā€ situation and I donā€™t like doing that.

you need to delete the rboy DTH ( i also deleted the smart app)
from the smart things ide. exclude the lock and then readd it. Rboys was what was causing my issues. Once i deleted it both my schlage and yale lock started working where are prior to that i was having issues. Literally did it 530am this morning when i got up and realized that when my kid got home last night at midnight the door never relocked.

1 Like

During this transition time, if you have a custom groovy Device type handler on your account, that will be given preference until your device has been officially migrated by the automatic process.

As @woolfman72 said, you have to first delete the custom DTH from your account before the edge driver will be chosen. (But no delete it thereā€™s no longer any way to add it back. So be sure thatā€™s what you want to do.)

I just wanted to mention that that is true for any custom DTH, not just @rboy ā€˜s.

See the official transition FAQ code

So what you are seeing is the expected behavior, even if itā€™s a confusing process. :thinking:

Terminology note, just to reduce a little bit of the confusion: there are no ā€œgroovy drivers.ā€ There are ā€œgroovy handlersā€œ and ā€œedge drivers.ā€œ

1 Like

Thanks for the very helpful replies. I actually tried to delete the device handler and I was not able to do so. I will keep looking for how to accomplish that.

I am concerned however that I canā€™t just switch to the edge driver. Inside the IDE I can select whatever driver I want but regardless of which one I select I seem to have problems. So Iā€™m a little concerned about deleting the working device handler not knowing if I will ever be able to get it to work again. Does that make sense?

Itā€™s super annoying right now, but again, this is only part of the transition process. You wonā€™t be able to remove the DTH unless you have deleted all of the devices that use it. Which mean that, yes, you will also have to re-create all of your automations that use those devices.

This is why many people are just leaving things as they are until the automatic migration happens, and then dealing with any issues afterwards. Because thatā€™s the only way to avoid removing and re-adding the device.

Anywayā€¦

Hereā€™s the community FAQ on how to use edge drivers which will explain the process if you want to do it manually:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

How does one determine what driver is currently in use, and how would one specify use of an ā€œedgeā€ driver? I have previously used ide.smartthings.com to manage all of my devices, handlers, etc. Am I correct in assuming that everything there is Groovy based and will be depreciated? Or only the customer device handlers? Are all the Samsung provided drivers now Edge based?

Is there by any change an ā€œEdge Migration Guideā€ that provides a step by step? This is just massively confusing for an average user. :frowning:

EDIT: I found a few resources to answer a lot of my own questions: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/9339624925204-Platform-Transition-FAQ for example. Unfortunately this appears tremendously more complex than the previous architecture for a light weigh power user. We live in a world moving toward codeless development solutions, Iā€™m dissapointed to read pages of instructions for loading libraries, running command line clients, etc. On the flip side I can really see the advantages of local execution, so thatā€™s a big plus. But a a (former) ā€œpower userā€ of Smartthings, who developed 7-8 Groovy smartapps - this looks like a bridge too far for me. Sharptools looks promising, but still significantly lags behind WebCORE.

Fingers crossed we can iron out these challenges and get back to where we started ASAP, which was a vibrant and easy to access development community. Iā€™m hopefull and will stick around until hopefully that happens :slight_smile:

Agreed: the officially provided documentation seems to mostly be for actual programmers, there isnā€™t really a step by step guide for power users who donā€™t code. :disappointed_relieved:

Hereā€™s the community FAQ: it should answer several of your questions.

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

1 Like