Saying farewell to (not so) Smarrthings

Now if it detects 2 heartbeats and they both start quickening, body temps start to increase. Does it know to set the lights, lock the door, put phones in airplane mode and start playing James Brown ?

6 Likes

THIS!

Re sensors, I have a pressure pad under my mattress, so my house knows when Iā€™m in bed. It also knows when Iā€™m using electrical appliances like the oven or TV. Iā€™m also thinking of installing water meters in the bathrooms, so the house knows when someone is using the shower or bath etc.

Iā€™m also working on some machine learning stuff (using Apache Spark) so that it can work out when Iā€™m sleeping, when Iā€™m getting dressed, when Iā€™m cooking, when Iā€™m watching TV in the lounge etc. which all leads to much more intuitive automationā€¦ e.g. the house automatically checks all doors are secured when I go to bed. The house automatically turns on my towel rails when I get out of bed, in anticipation of me using the shower. Itā€™s not that expensive, and itā€™s almost a reality (for me anyway).

1 Like

Do you ever find that your towel warmer is ever repeatedly started up like hundreds of times in a 2.5 minute period?

1 Like

haha! :joy:

No, thatā€™s the beauty of machine learning. It can tag those kind of events differently. :sunglasses:

Obviously, one has to give the system lots of sample data to get good activity recognition ratesā€¦

1 Like