I know I said I was going to return it but I decided to give it another shot. (mostly because I didn’t feel like going back to BestBuy.)
Here is what works for me.
FYI - this is in the new ST app
- On/Off State works
- Power Meter works
- Energy Consumption works
- Webcore integration
- Firmware update (still on 923)
What I noticed is that all my issues (same as OP) start if the plug loses power after the initial setup. i.e setup for bench testing then move to a new outlet for final deployment
as a workaround:
- I removed the device from ST
- performed a factory reset
- moved to the final install location
- added back to ST
- Tested setup, built automation in ST
I still have a week to return it but I’m up in the air about it. It seems to work fine but it is ridiculous to have jump through these hoops in order to set it up. The promise that we all bought into with ST and the smart home ecosystem, in general, is that it will make our lives easier, issues like this will prevent others that aren’t as committed or technical from adopting the platform and we will all suffer because of it.