Samsung Wifi Smart Plug (7A-PL-W-A1 / GP-WOU019BBAWU) Firmware

I just incorporated 3 of these smart plug switches into my SmartThings environment. Installed no problems but when I open the tile card, it indicates “New firmware is available” however when the text “Update” is clicked, the blue alert just disappears.

The other issue is that it inconsistently reports a wrong state (meaning if it’s off, the tile card shows on and vice versa).

I was curious if anyone else is having this issue or has any suggestions or recommendations for resolution. Information on the plug states Firmware version 923. SmartThings android version 1.7.51.42 (says latest version installed).

Auto update devices and services is enabled.

I am having this exact same problem. I bought mine two days ago and it is doing the same things that yours is. Maybe @jody.albritton can shed some light on this?

I am returning mine for a Zigbee plug.

Same problem, there is no way to update to the newest firmware.

I am also having the same problem. The plug firmware will not update and I’m not getting updated power meter readings. I have 5 of these plugs 2 of them I purchased a few months ago and 3 of them I just purchased a couple weeks ago. The 2 that I purchased a few months ago are working fine on firmware 1281. The 3 I got just a few weeks ago are on firmware 923 and are not working. I have tried hard resetting them creating a temporary SmartThings account to see if I can just use it to upgrade the plug and move them to a different network and it’s still not working.

I returned mine for this. I already have about seven of these. I should’ve just stuck with them from the beginning. I don’t know why I thought a Smartthings brand plug would be better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

These connect very easily and quickly. I have never had any issues with them. They are also zigbee repeaters.

Hello, same issue here. I wonder if there is any fix or these are completely bricked.

I have removed my device and reinstalled it.
On the third attempt the status situation along with being able to control the device is fully functional. Power use is not. Still can not update the firmware.

I reported the issue and will follow up with their reply.

1 Like

Still no reply from support.

Im starting to think I made a mistake.

I have a new pair of these stuck at firmware 923. They also exhibit network connection issues after registering successfully where they turn on but give a network connection error in the process. They won’t turn off and display a network connection error. I started a ticket 9/2 and submitted error logs and screen shots of the firmware issue. From my check-in call today I learned the ticket has progressed from their level 2 to level 3 but there’s no indication that the ticket has been picked up or worked. My units return in 2 weeks if there’s no resolution.

1 Like

I should have mentioned the fact that I did receive the following response from tech support. Seems like they forgot about us though…

Tanjeeb (SmartThings)

Aug 28, 2020, 10:22 AM MST

Hi Peter,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in response. I would request you to allow us some time to look into it and I’ll inform you as soon as there is an update.

In the meantime, please write back for any assistance.

Regards,
Tanjeeb
SmartThings Support Team
www.smartthings.com

From another thread:

Like others, I’ve been fighting with the wrong state being reported in the app, ie: app shows outlet off while it’s actually on. Also the firmware won’t update

Well, the reporting issue appears to have been corrected and the firmware won’t update, but check out the history on one of the devices. I’ve got three screens full of OFF/ON at 6:35.

So bizarre

Oops, I grabbed the wrong email. This is what I meant to post:

Tanjeeb (SmartThings)

Sep 11, 2020, 10:04 AM MST

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your patience.

I regret to inform you that this is a known issue we are currently investigating where SmartThings WiFi Plugs are not having their Firmware Updates applied when told to via the App.

We hope to have this resolved soon and thank you for taking the time to report this to us. At this time, we do not need any additional information to investigate this. But, we will be sure to reach out if that changes. Similarly, we will attempt to reach out with any developments or new troubleshooting steps in this case.

We apologize for inconvenience caused.

Feel free to write back for any further assistance.

Regards,
Tanjeeb
SmartThings Support Team
www.smartthings.com

Return them if you still can. They are nothing but trouble.

Returning them here too. They don’t work. I need WiFi ones not zigbee. I am looking for a plug that monitors power usage and consumption, and on or off state - so I can trigger routines based on it… any ideas? Bellini used to have an insight plug that had this functionality but I don’t think they sell them anymore.

This issue has been discussed for 5 weeks now. After my 3 almost identical emails from Samsung with I conclude they are either neglectful or slow to support their products. I asked for their schedule to resolve this issue and their response was:

"Josh (SmartThings)

Sep 22, 2020, 3:15 PM MST

Good Evening,

This is Josh with Samsung SmartThings. I am reaching out in regards to ticket 1032389.

This is currently a known issue that is being investigate for a fix. At this time there is nothing you need to do. Please continue to use the plug as normal. We anticipate a fix in an upcoming release.

Josh W.

SmartThings Support
www.smartthings.com"

I’ve returned my units after a 1 month of waiting for even a workaround.