Samsung UK "Smart Thing Trial" and Tribulations

Still no news from the Insiders it appears despite saying on here that we would be hearing by the start of the week.

That means theres now been 5 seperate delays holding the process up, 5 empty promises. While I would enjoy getting to test Smartthings (I want to create a haunted house for halloween to showcase what can be done with it) the attitude from the insiders is laxidasical and unprofessional to say the least. It was the same case with the LG G4 campaign, lots of delays and no notifications untill a couple of days after these dates had arrived and gone.

I run a tech blog, nothing spectacular but good fun none the less and some good web dev practice for myself, and have been shown/lent/given products from a couple of different companies (the companies themselves) and never had any issues. Clearly The Insiders are being paid to run these campaigns yet they continue to be unprofessional. They ask for bank details as a deposit against the products and say that these will be deleted after the campaign yet when I applied for this campaign my details were still in their records which also makes me doubt how legitimate they are.

I thought by joining the insiders it would give me a good opportunity to get products to test and grow my channel but its now coming accross as a huge waste of time.

My message to the insiders: Please fix these issues and keep on top of communication with the people that keep you doing what you do (your customers) and come across as though you care about the buisness that you run.

OK, rant over, or should i say enough of me ā€œbarkingā€ on,

thanks for listening

p.s do I get an appropriate meme now from @April please thank you

2 Likes

Yeah I skipped this ā€œofferā€ and went straight to Currys.

I imagine one HUGE reason they havenā€™t started the trials yet - OAuth isnā€™t working for UK server based peeps, so no IFTTT, no Smarttiles, no Echo and I donā€™t know what else.

Thanks so much for continuing to update us about this. I just updated the UK team know about this.

1 Like

Sorry for the delayā€¦ I needed to hunt for the right gif (this is how I feel about @april):

We reminded The Insiders that SmartThings has public forums where our customers are engaged and interested in updates (and may recreate the French Revolution). We are meeting with their team very frequently (including tomorrow) and I will see if we can get more information announced on shipping dates.

4 Likes

I woke up this morning to no mews

April & Aaron thanks for all your input.

( I think a lot of the guys would like to know if they have even been selected to take part in the campaign )

3 Likes

i think i win with the most epic image that embodies what everyone feels like. i do feel your pain. I get how dampening it would be, considering how exciting it is.

To let you know, I TOTALLY am doing a SmartThings Halloween thing with motion sensors too. I have this drive way that people have to walk up to, and itā€™s creepy, and perfect. I want to make babies cry. (jk.)

4 Likes

Yeah Bingstroller that was my initial thread rationaleā€¦ At least give us the bad newsā€¦

Though I have since come to the conclusion that I am now likely at the top of TheInsiders listā€¦ Just not the list for people getting a trial kit ;)ā€¦

Still they have definitely got us spreading word of mouth so Yay their campaign is a success alreadyā€¦ Rightā€¦right?.. :wink:

1 Like

Simon, I am probably right there with you on that list :grinning:

Maybe we can start our own campaign ?

2 Likes

I believe I already haveā€¦ Lololā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

donā€™t forget, you need a blog to go with it. Iā€™ll continue to follow through for you on this. Iā€™m sorry this isnā€™t the most ideal experience. I am very excited to see what you guys are doing with the SmartThings hub once you have your hands on it, if you havenā€™t gotten one already at Curryā€™s.

2 Likes

So I guess that now makes us the Outsiders. Iā€™ll start setting up the 10 blogs that we need

2 Likes

Noooooooooooooooooooooo, Not another Blog

4 Likes

I think it might be time for Smartthings to front up to this. Letā€™s face it - the launch has been a disaster with the product barely working. I just got a refund after the IFTTT issues + not being able to add another user + the intermittently working power supply. Itā€™s pretty clear to me that Smarttthings arenā€™t going to be sending their product out for testing and reviewing when itā€™s in such a bad state. I very much doubt the decisions are being made by The Insiders. I feel back for both The Insiders & the support guys at Smarttthings because the execs have surely decided that the product must launch for Xmas no matter what, leaving everyone else putting out fires.

1 Like

But isnā€™t this exactly the reason the insiders evaluation is needed? We can provide great feedback and suggestions to improve and debug the product without having to part with our hard earned cash upfront. Then at the end of the trial we can decide to keep, or not keep, the product based on our own experiences.

I accept that any product I test whether it hardware or software may have bugs, teething troubles or even major issues. But thatā€™s the fun of testing!

1 Like

Generally with Insider programs its about getting the heads up on whatā€™s going on and knowing what is on the roadmap ahead, and providing general feedback, not necessarily beta tester feedback.

This is NOT an official announcementā€¦ but use this as your frame of reference

(note the gigantic red arrows!)

Faith the Cynical Spitz totally believes that theInsiders will get their emails out today or tomorrowā€¦ :smile:

P.S. thanks Aaron

1 Like

There is also all of this:

On the right hand side of the page:

Start

23 Sep		

End

04 Nov

This is in the campaign T+Cā€™s:

ā€¦ The end survey needs to be completed by 28/10/15 (for a 6 week trial?)

ā€¦Participants will be able to use Samsung SmartThings for evaluation purposes for 6 weeks,between 16/09/15 and 28/10/15

This blog post:

17/09/2015 - 11:45

ā€¦ Next week we will announce the official selection of our lucky Insiders. Whether youā€™re selected or not, everyone who signed up for the campaign will receive an e-mail to inform themā€¦

This is in a blog post:

The deadline for sign-ups is now September 14

(was originally the 10th, ended up being on 23rd)

and this as a comment in the blog written by a staff member?

The predicted timeline is as follows : you will receive notification
whether or not you have been selected by Tue 29th Sep. Those lucky
enough to be selected will start receiving their kits on 8th Oct.

The lack of communication is the issue, and all off the changing deadlines which people are only informed about several days after they have passed. I would hate it to reflect badly for samsung since the expectaition is for people to spread the word about the experience

1 Like

No, sorry - not a member of staff just little old me ! (Bingstroller)

Not wanting to put a direct quote from someone I had not asked permission to requote. ( yes I know it is a public forum, but call me old fashioned ) I was simply trying to be helpful to other ā€œinsidersā€ who possibly had not had the benefit of information posted here.

Wonders never ceaseā€¦ I have an emailā€¦ from TheInsidersā€¦and I have been selected grins

Just got to wait to see what happens next week now and if anything actually turns up from UPSā€¦

Shame really that its been so delayed had hoped to have a play during my holiday next week.

Thanks to Alice, Aaron and any backroom movers that have pushed this along.

2 Likes