[DEPRECATED] Samsung TV support in SmartThings?

Yeah that’s more a restriction on the TV than anything else, you have to use HDMI-CEC or IR to turn it on :frowning:

I think I saw somewhere that the 2016’s can be turned on via LAN.

Thanks, I thought as much, no WOL for Samsung then! I will wait till 2017 when you can buy a good spec 2016 smartthings compatible machine for a reasonable price. Bought a 7 series last year and the features are worth the money. I’d like a 55" UHD next year so better get saving! Goodbye 3D you shall not be missed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t wait until we give up on this ‘curved screen’ fad as well… I think there will be a future for 3D but the resolution just isn’t there yet. I’m all for 8/16k screens (in terms of resolution) but only really for better 3D.

No Benji the curved screen fad is great, it’s bound to drive the price of standard sets down! :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Good point! No one wants those ‘basic - low end’ flat screens any more! :smiley:

Just make sure that they keep providing equivalent ‘flat’ models to their curved counterparts with the same level of functionality…

1 Like

Anyone able to get this to work. It seems to discover the TV and create a device but when I click on a button nothing happens. Doesn’t it need to authenticate with the TV?

Same here. I have had this installed for a few months with a to-do reminder to eventually get around to debugging my installation. It sees the TV, but never asks for authorization. Without that, I don’t see how it will work. (Mine is a 2014 non-Tizen model.)

1 Like

2015 model 60" here, and same problem as everyone else, detects the tv, but no commands are reaching the tv.
Installed both handler and app off course, lot off buttons(tiles) that do… nothing…

Didnt get the verification request at the tv set either.

I got mine to work by going into the TV settings and manually authorising.

Can you give an idea of where/how you manually authorized and your TV model number.

I found it under system and then remote management somewhere. (Without upsetting my wife who is watching the box at the moment I cannot confirm). :wink:
To be honest, and I am not knocking the app, the app doesn’t really give me anything. I have an app on my mobile that gives me more control and if I do forget to turn the TV off it will automatically turn off after a period of time anyway.

1 Like

Okay what’s your TV model number?

EDIT: I’m thinking of more automation use cases, my kid has TV time from 7pm to 8pm, so automatically switch to cartoon network and thereafter switch off.

So I’m making headway here, it looks like the Samsung app is sending NOTIFY command in SSDP where as the Samsung app only seems to be sending M-SEARCH (discovery) commands.

@twack - how does one send a NOTIFY SSDP message using sendHubCommand?

@twack any word on this?

You can build the SSDP desired string inside the hubaction command. Make sure to add the line feeds and spaces correctly.

Could you share an example please :slight_smile: , just to make it a little easier.

@twack Todd do you have a sample for NOTIFY SSDP?

Firstly thanks for sharing this. I can get it to work great with my 2012 Samsung ua46f6800 TV.

Would it be possible to get it to work with Amazon Echo? So far the only thing that works is by saying “Alexa, turn off TV” (I named the group as TV) nothing else work. If it would be possible to change channel or change volume that would be great. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve posted a couple of times in this thread, but I keep getting distracted by other projects and never seem to get back to diagnosing the issues I run into. If @RBoy is on the case, we must be close. :slight_smile:

TV is a 2014 H series that is not Tizen.
I have SmartApp and DTH installed.
TV has never asked for remote control authorization.

Before I ask for help getting it to work, I’d like to know if the best-case scenario gives me what I want, i.e. (pretty simple) just to trigger a ST event when the TV turns on. Turning off would be a bonus and, at the extreme of my dreams, to control the TV on/off/plex from ST. But, to reiterate, I’d be overjoyed just for ST to know when the TV is on.

I’m not aware of having ST “listen” for events, so without the ability to listen actively for events push notification may not be possible. However if I can get the code to work (my lab H series just doesn’t seem to want to cooperate) it would lead to “polling” to check if the TV has been turned on.

1 Like