[DEPRECATED] Samsung TV support in SmartThings?

Hi there,

I can’t see support for Samsung TV’s in SmartThings at all ? I have 4 Samsung smart TV’s all connected on IP in my house and I’d like to know when I can control them from SmartThings ?

Thanks,
Roy.

2 Likes

Not yet. They’ve announced that full integration with the Samsung line is planned, but probably will not be implemented for a couple of years.

Actually JD, in that time frame we’re only going to support the Samsung Immersive Hologram Generator with Frontal Cortex ZigBee Interface. And I think rev 1 will only play Holographic cat streams.

4 Likes

Promises, promises. :wink:

At the 2015 CES keynote, Samsung’s BK Yoon said that all Samsung TVs will be IOT enabled by 2017.

Of course “enabled” doesn’t necessarily mean “directly integrated with SmartThings.”

Did you miss the sarcasm JD :smiley:

Adding to my original question (which still hasn’t been answered), do you intend to provide support for Sky+HD boxes also ?

And I guess my final question (comparing to my friends Control4 system), when do you intend to start adding HDMI Matrix/Switches from the larger manuafacturers (which are all IP controlled too).

Thanks,
Roy.

I just got a notification across the top of my Samsung smart TV connected to my Apple TV something about the ST hub update. I didn’t catch it all before it disappeared. Spooky and exciting all at the same time.

Nevermind… It said Samsung Smart Hub, not SmartThings. All excited for nothing. :frowning:

3 Likes

As far as I can tell you can add non Tizen Samsung smart TV’s to the hub, many people on here have already done this. I am struggling with my UE65JS9000 I can get the smart app to see my TV, the passcode never comes up an I can’t authenticate. I have a UE65JS9500 coming and will test then but I suspect it will be the same result as essentially its the same TV

Which SmartApp? As far as I can tell, anything prior to 2015 probably isn’t running Tizen OS.

Installing smartapp from the IDE from the Smartthings labs category under templates, its called “Samsung TV (Connect)”. I had to find the device handler separately but it was in github if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Yes I actually did a little more research on this tonight and got the SmartApp and the SmartDevice Type installed, it found my TV successfully (UN50F6400) although it took a minute or two of searching so you do have to be a little patient, then everything worked as expected.

Aren’t J series Tizen OS based?

Would it be possible to post some links to the code you were using? I am not seeing this in the US IDE.

Has anyone had any luck connecting 2014 Samsung H product series? :confused:

You need two parts, the first part being the Samsung TV (Connect) Smart App:

https://github.com/SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/smartapps/smartthings/samsung-tv-connect.src/samsung-tv-connect.groovy

The second being the Samsung TV Device Type :

https://github.com/SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/smartthings/samsung-smart-tv.src/samsung-smart-tv.groovy

Once you install those, go into the Samsung TV (Connect) app and let it search, it took longer to find my TV than you might at first thing it would so have some patience (mine took a minute or so), once it finds the TV you’ll find it in the ‘Market Place’ as an unconfigured device.

Note that the ST hub and the TV will probably need to be in the same subnet on your network for it to work and also make sure your TV is on at the time it is searching otherwise it can’t find it, personally with my TV, I tend to turn it on and make sure it can actually play something (YouTube, NetFlix, whatever), I feel sometimes the ‘networking’ on my TV can take a while to ‘wake up’.

3 Likes

What TVs will this work with?
I’ve got an ancient ES8000 )(ES is, what, 4 years ago?) and when I was installing my Samsung Multiroom Audio devices, it popped up and found two devices - my new HW-H750 soundbar and some other unidentified device. Kinda assumed it just appeared as two devices for whatever reason since they were consecutive IP addresses.

I’ve just thought to check the IP address on my TV and it’s one of the devices found! I tried to play the weather forecast through the TV though and got nothing, played it through the soundbar and it worked.

Honestly I’m not sure, mine is a 2013 TV and I think there was a big change in 2012 (to my ‘generation’ of SmartTV) and then another change late 2014 / early 2015 when they switched to Tizen OS which I don’t think is supported.

Best you can do is install it and give it a try, like I said, make sure your TV is on the same subnet as the ST hub, ‘pass some traffic’ through the TV first just to make sure and then let the SmartApp search but let it run a while!

Yes this is my issue. However I have parked this as my JS9000 is going back and I have had a change of heart and going with a LG OLED (65EG960V) instead. I suspect this will mean no native integration whatsoever ever and resigned myself to a zwave IR device.

Hi All

I’ve added the smartapp and device types and the ST hubs has found both my TVs! Unforuntatley, none of the controls actually do anything. Anyone else having this problem or know why it might be happening? Everything looks fine but none of the panels trigger any action with the TV.

Thanks
James

When you connect make sure the TV is on as it will ask you to confirm external control.
I’ve got it working with my D8000. Everything works except power on which I’m guessing is because the LAN port on the TV gets turned off when you turn the TV off. I must check that’s the case with the Samsung smart remote app

1 Like