Samsung TV - Can't Turn On

I have UA55MU7000 model and couldn’t see the enable ip remote item, please advise. Thanks in advance.

Alexa can’t turn on the tv since it’s disconnected as appears with smartthings app, broken cloud instead of power button icon.

Having the same problem with Alexa and Samsung TV. Can turn my tv off with voice control but can’t turn it on. It was working then all of sudden stopped. I did a lot of trouble shooting, resetting everything. It seems as if it’s the smart things app. Deleted the smart things app off my phone and Alexa voice control works again. Such a bummer though. Loved being able to control the tv from my phone. But, I love voice control more.

1 Like

My Samsung TV was on WiFi and have no issue with Turn ON or OFF with Alexa. I begin to have problem with Alexa cannot turn ON when The TV is connected using Ethernet cable. I reverted back to WiFi and enabled Power on with Mobile & enable IP Remote in the network setup. Alexa now can turn TV ON. Also make sure you disconnect the Ethernet cable from the TV.

Hello Everyone,
My problem is because my TV don’t turn on with Smart Things, she just turn off…
I solved my problem making a factory reset on the service menu…
How open the service menu:
With TV on standby click: Mute>1>8>2>Power
You need a old Samsung controller with numbers or you can use a cellphone with infra-red like I do…
If on the first attempted the menu don’t show don’t worry,just try again…
On may third attempted the menu show up and I make the factory reset…
IMPORTANT: don’t make any other change in this service menu.
Hope I helped someone.

I have actually solved this problem but it is because I have also Switchbot hub. This hub can clone your remote control and can turn on your tv. Turning on on skills. I assigned it to switchbot and turning off was assigned to smarthings hub

*SOLUTION FOR ALEXA

I had the same issue where I could turn my TV off, but not ON. The solution is kind of a pain in the butt, but it works.

I am connected w/ LAN… so I’m not sure if it will work with wifi.

1. On your TV: Click on Settings- General- Network- Expert Settings
    Make sure “Power On With Mobile” is selected.

2. Smartthings App on your phone: Create a new scene & name it “MY TV”. Once you create the scene, you will get a notification on your phone from Alexa that says the scene is set up to use. I just have to say “Alexa, Turn on my TV” and it works.

Like I said, it’s a pain in the butt … but it is a workaround that works.

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth!! But this is the problem IMHO I believe that there have been countless issues with hackers gaining access and control over residential networks because the exploitation of said networks. I also am having difficulty determining if this true for IR transmit diode type or bluetooth or its coding that gets it to the MAC sub layer to send a packet to induce the bootstrap sequence. But my point is really the reason for the update to remove. Simply the cheapest and fastest way to control the exploit is to have a physical being there to power it on with either touching the power button or the oem or universal remote acting like a pin code for a debit card. I am really guessing to a point.

Ok, this is the first thing that actually WORKED! I created two Scenes - one that turns the TV On and another that turns the TV Off. I tested TV On and it actually worked, whereas trying the power button from the device rarely works. I am not using Alexa for this, just created Scenes.

Smartthings reports “Checking Network” then “Off”, so if it knows the TV is off, why can’t it turn it on?

So far using the Scene worked. I will try it again multiple times to see if it’s reliable.

Who knows. The issue with turning the tv on definitely has to do with smartthings, not alexa.

Im glad it worked for you though!

Well, after the TV being asleep all night once again I was able to turn it on using Scenes in Smartthings, where the power on button on the TV device icon didn’t work. So for my TV (2020 Q70T) the WiFi is clearly connected (my router does always show it connected) and it is obviously able to be powered on thru Smartthings.

I don’t know why a Scene would work but the device “power on” icon doesn’t. I’m just glad it does.

What I did was - create a new Scene called ‘TV On’ > Add action > Control devices > Select my TV > Next > Check the ‘On’ selection > Done

I created TV On, TV Off scenes and separate scenes that turn the TV on and select a particular input.

Very nice!

does the scene work after a while if you turn the TV off via the remote?

You mean the regular supplied remote control? I believe so. My wife turned it off last night using the regular remote, then this morning I was able to turn it on using the scene in Smartthings.

It’s weird how the scene’s power on would work any better than the power on in the device icon.

1 Like

Well, this Scene solution doesn’t always work. Sometimes it turns the TV on, sometimes it doesn’t. I haven’t found a pattern. My router always shows the TV as connected, and I can ping it from a terminal after being off overnight.

I was finally able to turn on my TV via Alexa.
Added the TV to Smarthings and to Alexa app. Make sure remote setting on TV is enabled.
I created scene in Smarthings added TV to turn on the TV, and immediately I could see the scene name on the Alexa app.
Now I tell Alexa to turn on the scene name :slight_smile:

Mildly related…my wife’s friend has a Samsung Smart Fridge and a Samsung Q70 Smart TV. She installed the ST app (not knowing she needed a hub), and the TV connected with the fridge. If she leaves the door open, a notification shows on the TV. Weird.

You don’t need a hub to use SmartThings

I was just surprised that these two devices could talk to each other. My immediate thought was that there was some sort of hub in the TV.

What kind of situations could you use ST without a hub? Doesn’t something need to send and receive Z-wave/Zigbee commands? Is it working through Wifi? Would she be able to create automations beyond the simple notifications?

She could integrate any other cloud service (Hue, Kasa, LIFX, etc). create automations, etc. The hub is only needed for zigbee, zwave and local automations.