Samsung SmartThings Outlet - Power Rating?

I know this was probably discussed a lot. But I just got my Smartthings from US to India and other than asking it to turn off my Lifx bulbs, I have no use for t. I was thinking of getting the outlet from US (since they both talk US Z-wave frequency) and wanted to check what is the outlet rated for?

I know in the site its rated 120, but most of these products have a wide range of power rating but mention only 120 or 220 based on where they sell it. Has someone used the outlet in 220/240V regions?

This is really sad. They are not even considering India to be a worthy market to see these things. on top they dont make the products with universal power rating.

Smartthing Hub is rated for universal power - 110-220 so that was not a problem getting it from US and I have friends coming from US often. And i dont think its illegal to use that frequency . I just wish all these devices have universal power rating which makes it easy to use any where.

One thing to correct, the smart outlet is Zigbee so you can get the U.K. Version and pair it with yr US ST :wink:

1 Like

The ST hub has a power cord with ac/dc adapter, and can take universal ac voltage. That seems to be pretty common these days with electronics like laptops.

The smart outlet plugs directly into the wall and provides ac power to what’s plugged into it.

Doesn’t seem like a valid comparison does it?

Edit: also, presumably multinational corporations like Samsung (which owns ST) don’t want to make it easy to use their devices anywhere. There are any number of reasons why they would want to restrict use of certain electronic devices to certain countries/regions. Making it harder for customers to possibly violate telecommunications laws in various countries is probably just one of them.

DAM! If only i could somehow find a way to ship these from UK to India. Ebay/ Amazon UK dont do it

Thanks you so much for that offer. I am looking at those zwave relays i can put inside the wall socket instead of this smart socket, coz we have different plug and i would have to put a converter on top of this socket to plug something.