SmartThings Community

Samsung SmartThings Hub (2018) discussion (Model GP-U999SJVLGDA aka V3)

Remember when the V2 was announced and people were saying “what’s the point?” And I kept saying “zwave plus, zwave plus, zwave plus”?

We’ve got the same situation here, in that the V3 will be capable of supporting significantly better technical security features than the V2. It should be S2 certified for Z wave, although admittedly we still have to wait and see on that. And it will be zigbee 3.0 certified, although it won’t enforce all of the advanced security features on the zigbee side in order to allow for compatibility with legacy devices.

All of that gets into super technical details that you won’t notice necessarily on an every day basis, but it does mean that those who are concerned about security issues should find that the V3 scores notably higher on those factors than the V2.

For this reason alone, I think it’s justified in calling it a new generation.

A lot of people won’t care about the differences, particularly if they have already been operating a home automation network based on the previous generation, but I do think there are people who will care. :sunglasses:

FWIW

My v3 Migration Experience - Improved Z-Wave Performance over v2
Who in Canada is using Smarthings?
(Drew Something) #63

Bestbuy had these in stock yesterday. I tried to buy one but they told me it didnt come out until today. Today there is no sign of them on BestBuy’s website. Anyone know what the deal is?

(Jimmy) #64

I think they plan on updating the V2 hub for zigbee 3.0, too. Not sure about S2. @posborne might know more about that. Still, definitely should be considered a new generation.

(Greg) #65

I’m a ST v1 user and currently in the market for a mesh wi-fi system. Was favoring the new Plume Superpod bundle (also considering the Orbi). This new Smartthings Multi-pack seems to kill two birds with one stone.

Is the Plume Cloud the magic, or is it the hardware

(Paul Osborne) #66

Z-Wave S2 support is in development and definitely considered a priority. For V3 at launch, we received an exemption on the S2 features based on the migration path forward and status of current development efforts (which have involved both parties).

@Kianoosh_Karami may be able to answer any more detailed questions you may have.

(Paul Osborne) #67

For Zigbee 3.0 and Z-Wave S2, I believe both the V2 and V3 support the required hardware to support the required upgrades. Although these updates may not launch for all hub targets at the same time, it is certainly our desire to support new version of these core protocols on all platforms that Work as a SmartThings Hub. To the extent that the V2/V3 are both platforms fully managed by the core SmartThings team I would expect to eventually see these platforms come close to converging on the software they run over time.

With that being said, with the chance to manufacture a new version of the hub we had the chance to improve security of the core software platform in several ways that would be impossible (or inadvisable) to do for units in field. Most of these are not noticeable to a user but the high-level bullet points are:

• Traffic between host process and Zigbee chip are now encrypted using a key that is unique per device.
  • ARM TrustZone features (via OPTEE) are utilized to provide a strong, isolated environment for storing/accessing auth keys and other sensitive data. This gets technical quick, but basically this means that even a root compromise of the main OS (Linux) would not compromise items owned by the “Secure operating sytem.” This is another security layer we are using (and can expand) to protect users from attacks (or limit the damage caused by a successful attack).

The lack of these features on other platforms do not make them “insecure” but we certainly took the opportunity to make core improvements to add additional layers of security.

(Jimmy) #68

Thanks for the information Paul. Not gonna lie, if there was a migration utility, I would invest the $70 for a more secure hub.

(MacTechGenius) #69

Can the V3 HUB be on both wired network and wifi? It would be awesome if I can have it wired into my network (and if it goes down) it can connect to a mobile hotspot over wifi…so basically cellular backup.

See discussion of new Wifi feature used to connect hub to internet. Can it also we used to integrate wifi-based switches and outlets?

(Bill Ho) #71

Isn’t WEMO wifi based and is supported already? They are connected through your home network anyway, wired or wireless.

(Erik) #72

I think it’s the difference between local and cloud execution. With Wifi built in the execution can be local, otherwise it has to be cloud to cloud

(Dan) #73

No, not exactly. I have plenty of WiFi connected devices that could have local execution if ST allowed me to run my custom device handlers and apps on my v2 hub. They work great connected via WiFi to my Cat5 connected Hubitat hub, with everything running locally! :wink:

The WiFi in this new hub is most likely only there to allow users to place the hub conveniently in their home, without needing a Cat5 connection. I strongly doubt the hub will support WiFi Direct connections from client devices or even your phone’s ST App. WiFi devices and this new hub will connect to your home’s WiFi Router.

A WiFi connected device is not different than a hardwired connected device from the perspective of the hub. They are both LAN connected devices. For example, the Philips Hue bridge is actually discovered by the hub as a LAN device, and does not need cloud to cloud communications to work.

(Bill Ho) #74

Honestly, I don’t see any advantage of 2018 hub over Connect Home, particularly when it is running in mesh network.

(Bob) #75

If nothing else Samsung have got everybody speculating about what the new hub will or will not do.
TBH I’m sick of it already. :wink:

(Tony) #76

I have a Synology router (RT1900/2600) at home and it can failover automatically to a USB dongle (Cellular dongle).
If the main WAN is cut, the dongle kicks in automatically !.

(Tony) #77

Indeed, Samsung US managed to get US based people to talk about the new US released hub V3…:wink:
This may arrive and be supported in non-US country (ie UK, etc) in about 10 yrs time ???
(still waiting for Ring camera integration etc, the list is long indeed!)

The Wifi Mesh version is interesting…
it would be ideal is the Mesh Wifi also did Zwave / Zigbee directly.
My house is an old brick building on 3 floors and I struggle to get a good Zwave/Zigbee signal across the 3 floors and have to rely on Powerline Wifi and Zwave repeater (a bit like flying blind really!).
Lots of missed event (ie doors marked as open when they are closed etc)…

(Allan) #78

Why was the new app even released? It seems horribly incomplete…its missing most of what is in the classic app, dimmers just started working a couple months ago, most 3rd party DTHs such as ST_Anything and Konnected simple don’t work (says “Can’t connect to device”), integration with the Gear 3 is spotty and commands take 10 - 20 seconds to take effect, etc. It’s awful.

Also the new sensors, with their much lower price point, look really nice but the info on those is pretty incomplete. From the multi purpose webpage (https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-home/smartthings/sensors/samsung-smartthings-multipurpose-sensor-2018-gp-u999sjvlaaa/#specs) I don’t see anything about acceleration about it, only contact and a blurb about temperature… Is the “multi-purpose” sensor now just a contact sensor (and maybe temperature) and that’s why its cheaper? Did they remove the other features like acceleration and 3 axis?

(Mark) #79

Lots of speculation around here, no answers from ST staff (not surprisingly).

The theory that strikes me as most plausible is that they were basically forced to do it by higher-ups at Samsung as part of the strategy to bring the non-ST Samsung IoT devices all under the same app as Smartthings. The fact that the ST part of it wasn’t finished was apparently deemed to be not as important, since it mostly only affects power users and groovy developers.

(Alex) #80

It is incomplete and they said so too, but it was not meant to be an immediate replacement either. An upside of how they are doing it is that we can provide feedback along the way. As long as we can keep the griping down and provide constructive feedback, they might listen. It must be really frustrating for developers to just hear complaints all day long or to get attacked when they come to the forum to share what they are doing.

However, to be accurate, it is not a “new app” as they took an existing Samsung app (was it called “Connect”?) and decided to morph it into something that covers not only what the classic ST app is, but also something that can handle the rest of Samsung’s smart offering (appliances, etc). I am guessing this also allowed them to make the new SmartThings app magically appear on all Samsung phones given many, if not all, came with it pre-installed at the factory. The good thing is that we can continue to use the classic app while they bring the new one up to par with the old one. I actually hope that the new one will eventually have a much better GUI than the old one… With a couple hundred of controls in the ST app, I am having to get creative to organize things and it is a royal pain to find stuff especially when it could fit two categories (my misuse of “Rooms”) but you can only put it in one… but this is off-topic.

Ignore the new app, just as ST recommended, until it is ready. You might have to use it for minor things from time to time, but that is inevitable during a transition. When I get my v3 hub I will claim it using the new app, and then do the rest in the classic app. Not a big deal.

(Allan) #81

Kind of a big deal as they are advertising that it works with the Gear S3 (which I have) and the upcoming Gear 4 but its barely functional. It’s one of the reasons I bought a S3 over other smart watches. However I can turn lights and outlets on and off…that’s it. No dimmer control, no devices from Konnected/ST_Anything which is almost half of my stuff, and I’m not exaggerating when I say it takes 10 - 20 seconds for commands to go through. For me, out of what the classic app does, the new app does about 30% and the Gear app does about 10%. Its extremely disappointing.