Samsung’s SmartThings Home Automation Platform Is So Unreliable, They Should Stop Selling It

If reliability really were the top priority at SmartThings, given the problem has continued for a year or more with only short periods of stability they would already have pinpointed an accurate diagnosis for non-firing of scheduled events and the scaleable fix would already have succeeded in their lab and just need a scaled-up implementation & deployment of it. Geez, it can’t be that hard – its just a system clock and a system able to invoke thousands of routines on any given scheduled minute and send out control data packets reliably. There are thousands of top-quality development engineers who are masters of such scalable systems (think telecom systems or investment transaction systems with 99.998% overall reliability and Six Sigma contituent reliability, not ordinary IT programming) in this country and in Samsung’s country, or ST could hire a top consulting firm to diagnose 95% of the root problem and set up the fix development plan for them, maybe in mere weeks, if Samsung really cared about their bad reliability reputation. It is hard work and a proper lab for scaled testing is expensive but is entirely do-able except to programmmers with little experience in such scaled systems and to companies who prefer to spend more on customer support and missed revenues. (Even marketers know it is far cheaper to keep customers satisfied than to have to find new suckers every year.). My apologies for venting here but after a year or more of this my patience is running out.

1 Like

My hope that as more people start using it, Samsung will get it into a more “ready for prime time” state.

Now that they have committed to add it to TVs and Refrigerators, they are going to have to make it more stable, as it will reflect on the quality of the Refrigerator they just got 5,000.00 for. Imaging selling someone a refrigerator that cannot even turn on the lights in the kitchen… CRAZY :wink:

Great product so far Samsung, keep up the good works. You have a long way to go, but thank you for taking the initiative in the Home Automation industry and getting us started on a more simple home automation system. I have done a lot of them using x10 when I was in High School, then Insteon and HomeSeer and Main Lobby. I just got tired or writing code to control my house, and I am looking to you all and the consumer industry to just make this all work for us that want our lights to come on and our music to play when we walk in the door.

Later,

Scott from Vancouver WA

1 Like