Samsung = INFURIATING

Wow! Ever tried swiping left on the lock screen. How much quicker could it be? :grin:

1 Like

I just flip my wrist & camera opens ready to take picture.

I love that placeā€¦

1 Like

So looks like T-mo is playing dirty :smile: My S8 is on the truck, already ā€¦ @Glen_King I might need your help to remap the non-functional Bixby button (Bixby voice is not even enabled at launch is coming later this year, by the way).

I was totally honest with myself when I bought the S8. I have an iPhone 7 and itā€™s generally fine. I want to try and play with Android and the S8 seems as good a device as any to play with. I might even get a Note 8 when it comes out later this year. Iā€™m going to keep Apple and Samsung phones for a while. I like gadgets and itā€™s just a gadget to me. Imthink most of us nere like gadgetry or else, we probably wouldnā€™t be here. Bixby is not planned to be like Siri or Cortana or the like. Itā€™s supposed to eventually be contextually aware of requests and capable of multiple requests in a single spoken command. Itā€™s ambitious. So many languages to accomodate. I have no idea if they can pull it off unless IBM Watson or the equivalent is behind it. I hear Apple is coming out with a new Newton later this year to combat it. No reallyā€¦I wouldnā€™t make that upā€¦would I?

1 Like

So if you indeed placed the pre-order for a particular feature that has been removed before the official launch date, one would wonder how many days you have to walk out of the deal and return the gadget that no longer meets your requirements, without any penalties or questions askedā€¦ hmmmā€¦ The choice is yours.

I think it would depend on whether thereā€™s any fine print that said during preorder that features are subject to change?

At least that would give Samsung some legal cover I guess. It would still be a shitty thing to do to a customer.

But hey, they havenā€™t sent any Chicago airport police officers to beat anyone and take the phone away for complaining about this. It could always be worse!

1 Like

Ultimately is between the seller and Samsung. If I donā€™t like the phone for whatever reason, I could return it within X number of days with no questions asked, regardless of what I dislike about the phone, noā€¦?

I guess? Iā€™ve never returned a smart phone before but I suppose thereā€™s some kind of return period.

Actually, Samsung IS easier. From a dead locked black screen on a Galaxy, I can doubletap the camera (which may happen as I am pulling it out of my pocket to get the shot I want). With the iPhone I have press ā€œsomethingā€ to wake the phone and THEN swipe right to left.

This is a holy war here my friend. Keep using and love your iPhone. I hate this thing and it drives me crazy. I canā€™t wait to send it back. Carry on. :sunglasses:

Itā€™s ok to be passionate about products and companies but letā€™s dial back the personal attacks and keep everything civil.

4 Likes

I am sorry that you feel Iā€™m attacking you, really, thatā€™s not what Iā€™m trying to do.

I never suggested it was deliberate, but the whole premise of this topic you created seems to be: Samsung released a phone, people paid a lot of money for it, Samsung removed an innovative feature. Apparently thatā€™s simply not true. Your hypothesis was not supported by the facts.

BTW I have no idea when the S8 is supposed to be released, I mentioned that in my first post too. But other users quickly pointed it out. Iā€™ve had an iPhone since the 3G and never use android. so that should give you some idea of how much of a ā€œgeekā€ I am.

Since youā€™ve gone on to question my intelligence (or maybe just my reading comprehension), and youā€™re becoming increasingly sarcastic in your responses, you probably donā€™t really want to have a conversation at this point, so we can just drop it.

1 Like

Those are pretty legitimate reasons, though I think most of those things (except perhaps the headphone jack) are not a big deal for most people.

By the way, not sure if you mean you have to scroll up to get to the browser or app back button, but in either case, you can tap on the bottom 20 pixels or so of the screen while youā€™re in the browser and the address bar and bottom nav both appear.

Again, I use both Android & iOS and think both are fine (and both have flaws).

Fair enough but beauty is the eyes of the beholder, is it not? I happen to want to highly customize my interface. My father in law has no use for this. I want Swype capability and have found the iOS version is terrible. My daughter likes to use both thumbs so a poor Swype experience on iOS isnā€™t a big deal. So it would be hard to say what what is and isnā€™t a big deal for Most People. I donā€™t know Most People - just me. :wink: Anyway, back to trying to figure out how Core works. Still stuck.

You seem to be arguing with me, but we are in violent agreement. I said those were legitimate beefs against iOS. I also said that most people (besides you) wouldnā€™t care about most of those things. I wasnā€™t saying you donā€™t care about those things.

1 Like

I have an iPhone for work. I get so upset at its inflexibility/inability to do simple tasks efficiently that it doubles as an airborne object from time to time.

I have an S8+ on preorder to replace my aging Nexus 6P. I pre-ordered only after news came out that the dumb bixby button could be remapped to something useful, like Google Assistant or even the SmartThings app (perfect solution honestly) and now Iā€™m pretty upset. Samsung might think its Apple and take the approach that if they just force their users to adopt their prefered solution, theyā€™ll love it - but in reality, the average Samsung/Android user wants to be able to setup their device, how they want it ā€“ and I doubt that Bixby is high up on their list of must-use services.

In fact, every S8 review Iā€™ve seen so far has mentioned that its terrible. In one review they said ā€œUsing Bixby vision I took a picture of a yellow bicycle and it returned images of bananas. Why? Who knows.ā€

Sorry to buck the trend. :slight_smile: I just got my S8+ today (wasnā€™t expecting until Sat). And 3 hours in, I am very impressed with everything. The UI and start up experience was very well thought out.

2 Likes

Naw, Iā€™m really not. I think things get lost in the web forum translation. I was just offering a perspective thatā€™s all. A few hours in with my S8 and so far so good. Weā€™ll see what the evening brings thoughā€¦

I should have been more specific.

Every review Iā€™ve seen of the S8 so far has said that BIXBY was terrible. The reviews on the phone have been overwhelmingly positive.
Iā€™m about to call my Verizon hookup to see when mine will be ready for pickup.

Iā€™ve been playing with my new phone for about an hour now and Retina Scan has changed my life! Actually itā€™s fun to learn, speedy overall and takes pretty spectacular photos. Beautiful screen too.

2 Likes