Samsung goes after Apple at home with new Connect Home hub

Another $100, $200 or whatever for a fully functional hub isn’t the issue for me, if it actually works
Having to spend $750 on a Samsung phone to get fully functional app is an issue.

6 Likes

Dang phone is Android, right? Not some proprietary OS like Tizen?

There’s no reason not to release the Apps for use on “any” Android phone; except profit, of course. Samsung has “burned through” a lot of money over the past year, so …

1 Like

Just wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas, when many wireless companies will likely offer them for free or close to it, once the novelty wears off.

1 Like

I had a SG4 , SG5 . All the Samsung bloatware is rediculous.
I can get an unlocked LG or Motorola for 1/2 the price ( or less) and it runs better.
I don’t have to waste the time disabling all the Samsung bloatware that nobody wants to begin with.

1 Like

This is all rumours. A friend who works there says it’s not the case. Engineers were moved to a different project which is VERY similar. But can’t say more. My guess is mesh system with more HomeKit stuff.

Also there is the whole Time capsule / time machine issue… what happens there? You just can’t cloud 2TB easily…

Fair enough. Like I said, I was having connectivity issues as well, and I was sick of dealing with it :slight_smile:

What do you mean by this?

They were referring to the Apple dropping routers from their product line rumor.

Will they be late to the game? Leviton already has a solution on the market that eliminates the need for a hub. This may be obsolete equipment before it even hits the market. Much of the market does not need or desire anything beyond what you can do with outlets, dimmers, and switches such as the new Decora Smart Wifi. I have a strong suspicion that hubs such as ST, Wink, etc, are going to be a flash in the pan in the IOT long game.

I think it’s pretty clear that Samsung wants a solution that will feature their appliance lines, which makes perfect sense. So my guess (again, only a guess) is that this is aimed at a particular market segment, the people buying Samsung Digital Appliances and high end televisions.

That’s not the same group of people picking up $12 Wi-Fi outlets to go with their Amazon echo, but it’s still an important market segment for Samsung. :sunglasses:

I have a galaxy 5. The amount of bloatware Samsung loads in it is ridiculous. It’s a 16 gig phone but most is taken up by apps I don’t want and can’t remove. Disabling just stops them from running but they still take up space on the phone. Now if they add the smart apps into the phone that’s even more stuff that people who don’t use those features will have taking up space for no reason.

1 Like

That is why I use and recommand this pnone insted of Samsung phones. “Never Settle”.
https://oneplus.net/3t

1 Like

Except the new Samsung Connect app will only run on the galaxy 8 at launch. They said they want to eventually make it available for other android phones, but no timeline. And there hasn’t even been a mention of an eventual iOS version.

So either Samsung doesn’t think very many people actually care about the IOT piece, or this really is intended as a head-to-head with HomeKit and Samsung is taking the walled garden approach.

One thing to be said for walled gardens – – stability is much easier to achieve. Just sayin’… :wink:

1 Like

I like the OnePlus specs on their phones. I don’t like how they tried to create a false sense of exclusivity but only selling to people that had invites.

1 Like

Samsung will embed it into the newest phone. By doing so people will buy the phone to get new features. Not all the buyers will use smart home features but it will be on the phone. Some will buy the phone & not want the apps built in taking up space. Being built into the phone also doesn’t mean that it will run ST better either.

They don’t do that anymore. Now you can buy it straight.

Given Samsung’s documented history of surreptitiously collecting any customer data they can get their paws on, why would anyone in their right mind trust their Internet gateway to Samsung? I’m pretty sure Samsung is going to stash all your browsing history somewhere on their servers “for your own convenience”. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Google is the largest data miner. They even admit it and yet people happily surrender all of their private info to them.

2 Likes

I used to have an s7 edge international version until a month ago… a regular update completely bricked the phone. Switched to the Oneplus 3t, still have a oneplus 2.

1 Like

Me too. I still have my OnePlus 2 and it is still working great. Will give it to someone who needs a good phone.