Samsung Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System

Can someone who knows comment on the advantages of this vs a Version 2 hub and Google Wi-Fi. Dismissing the Wi-Fi specs are the SmartThings specs/capabilities the same as a version 2 hub or are there any advantages or improvements beyond the Version 2 hub?

I personally would like to keep separate my home automation hub and wifi router.

Therefore i hope that the v2 hub and new wifi/hub have same capabilities as I am not interested in a Samsungs wifi router.

I do always want to be on the latest and greatest version of SmartThings hub.

Thanks

I agree with @professordave I prefer my amp seperate from my receiver, my modem and my hub seperate from my router.

1 Like

LOL yes I do. Never owned one but I remember them.

1 Like

If you have a Betamax to go with that, I’m on board.

Still have my Video disc player as well - lol - comes with Rocky II - Trade?

Lol I wouldn’t sell either - 20 years from now, auction for a mil.

1 Like

My Ex Father-in-law had a Betamax and it worked very well till the day he died. Even after VHS had clearly won the day he was never interested in changing. My first VHS could record one event in 24 hours and cost $750. Damn that early adoption!

2 Likes

They say that the Betamax was the way better product, but the way VHS was marketed they won outright.

I remember not so long ago when DVD started. I was a home theater enthusiast at the time, and you had DVD vs DIVX which was totally screwing up the entire market because people were so confused with wtf to buy.

1 Like

I see a huge museum of devices (looking in the direction of Robins house) and the spouse putting things in boxes marked for garage sale, when Robin isn’t looking :slight_smile:

1 Like

LMAO! I am sure that I can impersonate her eye rolls and I haven’t even met her

1 Like

Just came across this article.
Does this mean with this system the world of Bluetooth and the devices therein will be opened up to home automation through ST.

IoT hub
Samsung Connect Home removes the need for Samsung’s separate SmartThings Hub. Because Samsung Connect Home has a SmartThings Hub built in, it can directly communicate with connected gadgets over Bluetooth 4.1, Wi-Fi, Zigbee, or Z-wave. These gadgets include things like Philips Hue lights, Netgear Arlo security cameras, and Samsung appliances. Once set up, you can control all these with a mobile app.

No, Samsung Connect Home uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone, not to control end-devices. There are no Bluetooth devices scoped to be compatible at this time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Tyler.

Will it extend z-wave and zigbee in some way? If they repeat through cabel between them it could be a use case.

Are there plans to enable Bluetooth LE on the hub? I understand if giving a time frame is not possible but would be nice to hear from someone at smartthings on the general plans. Perhaps there is a technical reason its not enabled which is fine but would be nice to understand if that is the case, so were not left wondering in frustration.

It’s a prioritization issue at this point. There aren’t enough compelling Bluetooth Smart devices for us to devote significant engineering resources to add support for Bluetooth end devices at this time.

1 Like

Quite a few Bluetooth iot Devices are successful right now, and selling well:

Bluetooth locks, including August, Kevo, and Schlage

Flic buttons in the US and Nodon buttons in the EU

Switchmate switches ( these now work with Wink, by the way)

Revogi pocket sockets

FEIT Iightbulbs

Elgato Eve sensors

Yeelight light bulbs

Fibaro sensors

Bluetooth has made a lot of strides forward just since 2016, including better range. :wink:

4 Likes

Fair enough thanks for your response and the honest answer, makes sense to me. And couldn’t agree more with you and @anon36505037 that there are more pressing issues to devote resources to. I’ve been pretty lucky and love my SmartThings hub but I have some definite items on my wish list and not just support for more devices. @Tyler :v:

1 Like

I just got an e-mail from Samsung about this thing.
So, is this thing SmartThings Hub v3, or is it simply another in the line of other kinds of devices that they’re putting a SmartThings hub in?

I was one of the original Kickstarter supporters for the SmartThings hub v1.0. I had v.1.0 running pretty well at my previous home, then I moved because of work into a rental for a year. I just recently bought a new home, and looking forward to automating it. I see that SmartThings/Samsung now has a couple of devices competing, which is the theme of this thread, however, I have a few questions:

Samsung Connect vs. SmartThings hub v.2.0:

1. Is Samsung phasing out the SmartThings hub V2.0 in favor of the Samsung Connect ?
  2. The Samsung Connect is already being sold in Amazon (not sure if pre-sales), is it supported yet?
  3. Will the software for the ST hub v2.0 work for this Samsung Connect?
  4. If you buy the bundle with 3x devices, does this mean you have 3x z-wave (and etc,) antenae ?
  5. I have a “meshed” set of repeaters at home (Airi smart mesh), is it worth it buying the Samsung Connect if I already have a good coverage of my entire home through that set of devices?
  6. The last question above was about a v3.0… is this the Connect w/o the repeater capability ?
  7. Any other difference between the Samsung Connect 1300 and the 2600 besides the wifi speed?

Thanks in advance

1 Like