Samsung Connect App

Hey, think of the bright side. You have options with SmartThings, if you are using Samsung Artik, you have no options, yet. I don’t believe the officil launch happened yet, so we may get more details, then…

1 Like

It should be expected.

Hey, I thought this “new” firmware was going to clean up the technical debt.

3 Likes

It’s not officially launched yet. See the many posts outlining this above.

1 Like

Launched or not, the option to add the Hub and devices is there in the Connect App now so there will be people resetting their hubs to add them to Connect (already happened above), many will not realize that they will lose all their config and ST setup etc. There is little info out there which does not help the situation. Apologies if I have missed any announcements and further info, perhaps you can drop me a link to them please.

The thing here is that Samsung have pushed the Connect app with the S8 and people, especially those who are into this sort of thing, people on here who already have it all configured are the ones who are most likely to adopt it fully but in reality cannot. Let’s face it the first thing that should have been released is a tool to migrate over and keep both apps/configs running but apparently this is not the case.

As Aaron states above there is no timeline for any sort of migration tool for existing ST users. As you say it is not released yet but the reality is that the option is now live in the Connect app, I would be prepared for quite a few support calls and some disgruntled people who without thinking have reset their hubs to add them to Connect leaving themselves starting from scratch :frowning:

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy to carry on with ST as was, I was simply looking forward to Connect. So let’s see, after the official release (when is it supposed to be seeming as the functionality is now live?) if we are still all in the same boat or if there is some good news for us all (not going to bet on this one though lol)

5 Likes

Wow good thing I read through the thread. I was 1 minute away from adding my hub to the new app!

1 Like

This is my biggest concern:

I purchased the hub less than a year ago and also purchased an expensive router that I now understand will be “obsolete” as SmartThings now is going to require me to purchase THEIR ROUTER to make this new CONNECT APP work on my galaxy s8. What about all of my integrations, apps, rules, etc I’ve made in the IDE? Sure, I think it would be nice to use this new app on my shiny new phone, but at what cost?

My s7 edge got the Samsung Connect app this morning.

The super annoying thing about this new all in one, box does it all nonsense, none of them support moca, and if you’re a fios user you know what a pita it is to replace the crap router they give you…

1 Like

@Mike_Maxwell - I just bypassed the verizon router today at my friends house. Internet still works, TV still works, guide still works, VOD still works.

In this case the ONT had both ethernet and coaxial ran to the router.

1. Login to your fios router, release the ip address provided by verizon. <-- Most important part.
2. Turn off the fios router, turn off your regular router.
3. Unplug ethernet from fios wan and plug into your router wan port.
4. Turn on your regular router, let it get an IP address from verzion.
5. Connect the fios wan port to your routers WAN port.
6. turn on the fios router, wait for it to get an internet connection.
7. See if your guide, vod works, it should

The router I have has a coax connection running from the ont as well as wan ethernet… are you saying the coax to the router does nothing?

Sorry, I actually think the coaxial connection on the fios router is just connected to the house coaxial in general, not right to the ONT.

Speeds under 100 use coax from ONT. @Mike_Maxwell pull the trigger and upgrade to 150. They will swap the connection to ethernet and upgrade your equipment

Ok, only coax comming in for me, which splits to the house distro, the router and what appears to be a moca adapter in its own right. This box then feeds ethernet to the router want port. So I can’t figure just wth this setup is doing…
And you say moca to even the tech savy and their eyes glaze over…

Yes I should have said this only works if you have ethernet from your ONT to the router. Verizon has to do that for you if you haven’t already.

also @Mike_Maxwell and @SBDOBRESCU - sign up for 1000Mbps now… Their new offering…

1 Like

I’m a frontier customer, the backward pnw fios provider…, Verizon chucked this region over to them. No gig for me.

I have moca adaptors in every room. I made the mistake of declining CAT5 when we built the house. And after fiasco experience with powerline adaptors, moca was the savior.

Where there is a drill there is a way…

2 Likes

Yea, I have several as well they rock, the catv end of it, not so much…

Ha, ha, ha… I thought the ‘few weeks’ has been replaced by ‘note I am not disclosing any timelines’. There’s been a week or two since April, any more news, yet? lol…

2 Likes