Rule Machine Version 1.7 Released

Awesome! Hey, I finally figured out my lights! I posted in the other thread.

SOā€¦MANYā€¦NEWā€¦FEATURESā€¦CANā€¦NOTā€¦COMPUTE

Trying to keep up with all the new features and I think my brain just exploded.

Best thing is to just play with the app. Create some rules, some triggers, some conditional triggers ---- just check out what it does and can do. It can do just about anything you put your mind toā€¦

1 Like

@bravenel

I think I found a bug.

Iā€™ve noticed some of my rules not behaving correctly over the past few days and this is what Iā€™ve foundā€¦

This is the rule. Pay attention to actions for true. It is to evaluate the front porch rule.

This is the select actions for true screen. The evaluate rule is empty, the line is green, but it is empty.

This is inside of the evaluate rules. The box is no longer checked for this rule.

I know this was checked properly. The rule was working fine. I have no idea why this is occurring, but Iā€™ve seen it several times over the past few days, possibly longer. It just clicked for me.

Iā€™ve seen this in multiple rules, not just for the evaluate rules. Itā€™s occurred with the Boolean change. True will not change when false selected in the options or the option just goes blank.

Iā€™ve seen it in the Boolean options, rule evaluate, rule truth, and the send or speak message.

Did you happen to change the rule name? Iā€™ve seen that when name changes happenā€¦

No, I made no changes at all. I only went back into the rule because ur was not working right.

Iā€™ve seen that to on device name changes and stuff as well as the other rules.

Brand new to Rule Machine being a new user to SmartThings and all I can say @bravenel is WOW! I am learning how to implement it now on controlling my ceiling fan speed through stages based on room temperature and if the room is occupied via ecobee3 motion input.

I didnā€™t see a place I could donate in supporting your extraordinary efforts? :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m supposed to be seeing. What is ā€œitā€?

Standard answer: pay it forward, be kind, answer questions, report bugsā€¦

2 Likes

It is what I was talking about above. A rule that was built a while ago and had been writing just fine suddenly stops.
I go into the rule. On the first page under the actions section it is showing like everything is good. Once you dug into the rule you see that the selective listed on the first page are no longer there.

So the rule is showing your original selections, but they arenā€™t actually selected.

In the rules Iā€™ve seen affected by this it has been in the areas of the rule truths, Boolean, rule evaluation, and the messages.

OK. Is it as if part of it has been erased? If so, thanks to ST.

2 Likes

ā€¦and I was blamimg it all on me because I thought I was changing names and forgetting to update affected rules!

1 Like

So Iā€™ve finally dived into Rule Machine, given that this was one of the features I was looking for and Bruce whipped up in a mere 4 days!

I setup my first Rule but sadly the capture and restore didnā€™t work as expected, I know that capture doesnā€™t do colour at the moment and maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m trying to capture on a colour bulb but it didnā€™t at least restore the dimmer values of these bulbs before they were changed.

I love the name ā€˜Rule Machineā€™ and I feel itā€™s very appropriate, ā€œRuleā€ because it rules them all, ā€œMachineā€ because of the incredibly powerful and level of features.

@benji
Iā€™m pretty sure run only captures the state if switches right now. I sent Bruce a request to capture bulbs and dimmer levelsā€¦

Thatā€™s pretty much the only thing Iā€™d use it for.

Iā€™m going to look at capturing color [sic], just havenā€™t got around to it. I believe that in order to capture and restore the dimmer level of a color bulb, you would need to select it as a dimmer for that action, not as a color bulb. Try that, and let us knowā€¦

Iā€™m under the impression that there are problems with some color devices updating their state in the platform. That would throw capture off, if itā€™s capturing an out-of-date value.

1 Like

Will do! I was going to try again tonight anyway just in case I messed something up or it was just a hiccup, I could do it now but at night I can just be lazy and look through the glass to see if itā€™s happening :smile:

Oh and we Brits appreciate the spelling hat tip :wink:

1 Like

I just took a look at the color information, and Iā€™m not seeing anything. Furthermore, the documentation does not show any method of accessing the current state.

If someone knows better, please come forward.

Rule Machine 1.7.12 Released

This version adds some bug fixes, and now allows an option (under More Options) to use a ruleā€™s Private Boolean to enable/disable the rule. If the option is selected, the rule is disabled when its Private Boolean is false. The Private Boolean value can be set by other rules.

This allows use of Private Boolean in lieu of a virtual switch to provide a mechanism to disable a rule.

Also added ability to capture and restore color values for hue and saturation.

Rule github: https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy. Save and Publish for me.

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œbravenel, post:178, topic:37355ā€]
color [sic][/quote]Hilarious dry humour[sic]

2 Likes

@bravenel

Am I correct about this? The last time I tried it, it would only capture the state of a switch. I couldnā€™t get it to work in capturing and resetting the state and level of a bulb.