Rule machine rule, doesn't seem to be running

I have never gotten the rule truth to run reliably. I have up on it after about two days.

I have found the method above to be the most reliable.

Over the weekend I changed my office lights from the above method to one rule using pending off : cancellable. It wouldn’t even be 100%.

I did it as am experiment. My office lights setup with boolean have never given me a problem that I can remember.

Can i use similar for my switch @bamarayne

I want it to switch on between 8pm and 11pm only so …

Rule one - electric blanket on
Condition - private boolean: true
Rule - private boolean: true
Actions for true - turn on electric blanket
Actions for false - turn off electric blanket

Rule two - Electric Blanket
Conditions - between two times: 8pm - 11pm
Rule - between two times: 8pm - 11pm
Actions for true - set private boolean: rule one: true
Actions for false - set private boolean: rule one:false

If you only have one time range for the electric blanket, why not just do it all in a single rule? Unless that’s what you already had and it wasn’t working.

I’m only using that method because I have multiple time of day conditions I want to use, and Rule Machine doesn’t support multiple time of day conditions within a single rule. So I broke it out into sub rules.

Also, one rule I would recommend for an electric blanket which I used for my small room heater, I had a rule that would turn it off after 2 hours. I would usually turn the heater on before I went to bed and no other times, and it was just to get the room warmer and that’s it. So after I turn it on, it would shut off automatically after 2 hours. I also had a secondary rule that would shut the Heater off at midnight every night. They were mostly just for safety, I didn’t want the heater running all night by mistake.

I did have a single rule controlling it in RM but it has for some reason not worked tonight. It was ‘reasonably’ reliable over last few weeks. Just wanted to see if this was more stable. Not sure though, because if its a time thing, RM or ST still has to use the time to set PB to true/false.

I’ve restricted rule to certain modes and blanket switches off when in ‘Night’ Mode. So this prevents it staying on too long. This part of rule has not proved troublesome…so far!

Yes, you can. What you just wrote will work great.

My office rule is motion active, lights on. Motion inactive, lights of after one minute. Failed like crazy until I went back to the two rule method. It’s worked like that for months with no problems.

1 Like

Using the private boolean method you can also add other rule conditions, and you can intertwine rules from different automatons really easily as well.

I find it really versatile and it works well for me.

I say y’all should try everything and pick the one that’s best for you!

1 Like

Thanks @bamarayne, i’ve followed many of your posts and downloaded your dropbox spreadsheet to see how you have everything working together. Looks like PB is the way to go!

1 Like

This worked last night but then didn’t fire tonight until i refreshed rule???

ST sucks? ? ? ?

My best guess.

Yes…looking that way

Support again said don’t use RM and see if it works

Yeah, I’m still having problems too. I’ve deleted all of my rules that use time of day and I’m going to create them from scratch and include SMS notifications to my phone to text me when any of the rules become true or false.

I’ll update with the results in a few days.

Mine are amazingly all working. I have had only one problem since yesterday afternoon.

I had one rule that wss sending notification that it ran every hour on the hour. But none of it was actually running. Not showing up in the ide either, just the mobile app notifications

I deleted it and rebuilt it. It’s has stopped so far, we will see.

Other than that, everything is actually good to go for me.

Now I’m worried… Hmmmmm

I’ve got 30 some odd rules, they’re all fine…
And no, I don’t have the latest code… I have 1.9.1e or something

Same here, everything deleted. Going to start the whole ST from scratch.

Wife losing(lost) patience and myself following suit

Well, even after deleting it all and starting fresh, it’s not off to a good start.

I added actions in both of the sub-rules and the main rule to send me a text when it was true or false. It worked initially, they turned on at sunset like they were supposed to last night, then turned off at 10 like they were supposed to, and then turned on again this morning at 5AM like they were supposed to…but, they never turned off at Sunrise like they were supposed to. I ended up having to turn them off from work just now.

I think I’m going to change the rules to not use Sunrise / Sunset, I feel that is just adding to the mess by having a dynamic time like that. I’m going to try hard coded times to see if that helps.

I also didn’t get all the texts I was supposed to get. I’m missing a couple texts, even though the rules obviously ran when I saw the lights turn on and off.

I’m running version 1.9.0a / 1.9.1f (github integration), but I’ve had this problem for quite a few versions back.

Also, my GF didn’t like that I included the balcony lights as part of the morning lights turning on at 5AM cause it’s pretty bright at that time in the morning and kinda blinding from the bed lol, so I may end up making separate rules for morning and night anyways. But I’ll still probably rely on this private boolean method.

So I didn’t really like the private boolean method. I was still having problems anyways and I didn’t like it because if one of the false subrules was evaluated for whatever reason, it would kick the lights off until one of the true subrules was reevaluated and they would turn back on. I changed it back to the rule truth method because there’s no reason it shouldn’t work, so I looked for the bug. I added SMS notifications to all subrules and main rule for true and false so see what’s happening.

These are the texts I got this morning for the morning rules. When the sub rule is true, the main rule appears to run the false action, and vice versa. Bug? @bravenel?

Here are the screenshots of the current setup… Take note that I took these screenshots all at the same time when both subrules should have been false, yet, the main rule shows its condition as true…

And there goes the stupid rule truth again. What you posted in your pics is the exact reason I stay away from it. It just didn’t work.

With the rule Boolean, in some instances it can be set up with a self healing reset along with a manual reset for those times when things get wonky.

Staying away from it because it is buggy or doesn’t work or is “stupid” is not how you help to improve apps or identify bugs. I switched back to help identify the problem so that the app can be fixed. Hence the reason I tagged Bruce.

I’m a software developer and one of THE most annoying things is when there is a bug that I am not aware of, and the users of the software try to find ways around the bug, rather than just reporting it allowing me to fix it.

So, using that logic should I go and buy a Yugo to make it a better car?

The whole system has bugs that I can’t do anything about. I find the ways make it work as reliable as possible, and then I pass that info on.

And I can assure you, as well as a lot of others… It has been reported.

I’ll gladly report the bug, which I’ve done. Then I’ll make my system work.

In case you haven’t noticed, ST isn’t real quick on fixing bugs. And I’m pretty sure Bruce isn’t supporting this particular piece of software any more.

Do, I sure hope you can find the bug and that you can fix it. Good luck. Please pass it on when you get it fixed.