Rule Machine - Get peer assistance here with setting up rules

Turb02,

Thanks for the reply, but I don’t think that is the problem.
I did not enter the punctuation for the phone #. The app did that.
Other rules that work properly show the # with the same punctuation.

Look in the IDE, My Locations , List SmartApps, click on that rule. See what it says for Scheduled Jobs and Job History. That may shed some light on what happened. If you see the job history for last night, see if the execution time was super high or not. Report back what you find.

Bruce,
Scheduled Jobs:
Handler Next Run Time Prev Run Time Status Schedule
timeHandler 2016-03-04 10:00:00 PM EST WAITING Daily

I don’t see anything referring to Job History, but I found this:
Date Created 2016-03-03 9:16:31 PM EST
Last Updated 2016-03-03 10:13:55 PM EST

Application State shows:
Name Value
actsFalse ‘Back Door Is Locked!’ to (603) 286-0585
actsTrue ‘Back Door Is Unlocked!’ to (603) 286-0585
cstCmds []
disabled false
eval [1]
howMany 2
howManyT 2
isExpert false
msgFalse ‘Back Door Is Locked!’ to (603) (Blocked by me)
msgTrue ‘Back Door Is Unlocked!’ to (603) (Blocked by me)
private true
str Back Door Sensor open
success
token 1

From what I can determine, everything else looks proper.
Any further assistance would be welcome.

It’s possible that 10:00 pm stepped into STs scheduling problems. Try moving it a few minutes off being on the hour. If you can, tonight, turn on Live Logging in the IDE a couple of minutes before it is set to go, and then see what shows up in the logs. It should make a log entry when it is fired.

Thanks I’ll try that.

Otherwise, you think that I set it up properly?

Looks fine to me, should work as you want. It’s probably the 10:00 on the dot thing, but hard to be sure.

@bravenel
I seem to have a problem. I have 70 rules installed. All have been running great for several weeks now.
I did the two most recent updates, and notnow I’m have a whole lot of trouble.

I have rules not firing, rules not completing, and just general mayhem.

This is what I’ve found:

I know this has been brought up in the past and you’ve said we shouldn’t have to do this, but this is affecting every single one of my rules. Please follow the pictures…

#1 - to level of Rule, everything looks fine.

#2 - but then we go here, as you can see, something is missing…

#3 - go to the next level and everything is back!

#4 - and now everything is fine.

Some rules work ok, some rules only work partially, and some don’t work at all.

I tried updating them, But no joy there. I have to physically go through every one.

@bravenel
Problem #2

I am able to select which devices to capture in the actions for true.
But…
In actions for false the option to restore does not appear, unless I select devices to capture again.

I have deleted this rule and rebuilt it to no avail.

The new UI with the intermediate page won’t propagate the descriptive text into it until each section is opened. As you can see, the description is correct on the main page, and the actions are intact in the innermost sections. But, there was no way to get the description text into the intermediate page without going into each one.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Everything still works correctly, it’s just the little snippets of description.

I will look into this. It could be that I messed something up. If you capture as an action for true, then restore should be available as an action for false. I’ll get back to you…

Ok, cool. Everything should be working ok, but it’s all very glitch this morning. Even things not related to the scheduler.

As I clean up the rules they start working again just gone.

No big deal, just getting through them.

Though I did notice if I forget to go all the way down in any section, that option is removed from the first page.

OK, found and fixed this bug – a typo. Just pushed 1.8.3a with the fix.

What do you mean by “that option is removed from the first page”? Oh, I see. I’ll look at that too. That’s not nice!

Yikes. I just got bit by the disappearing device! I saw what you meant, and went all the way in only to discover that the device had vanished; gone from the list too, can’t select it.

I had this happen a couple of days ago with a device, and reported it to Support. They thought it was very strange. Now, this is the second device to vanish. It’s still there in Things, Room, the IDE. But it doesn’t show up as something I can select.

I wonder if that’s what’s happening with you? Check when it “option is removed from the first page”. See if the device you had originally selected is still selectable.

1 Like

After it disappears from the top list and I click done, I then go all the way down to selection and it is still there.

Am I the only one who is OCD and is re-propagating all the actions in my rules?:sunglasses:Even though they will work fine.

2 Likes

No! You’re not! But I started doing it because I was having massive failure this morning unrelated to scheduling.

What was happening? Did you figure it out?

Yes, rule machine flaked on me. The rules got all screwed up somehow.

Example:
Morning routine runs a rule action that adjust my thermostat. On the top level it showed the heat set at 66°. But it was cold, so I started looking, also I remembered changing that to 68°. I dug down into the rule and at the bottom level it was set to 64°.
The recents tab showed it had been set at 64°.

Also, I have lights in the morning set to come on at a certain level. They were coming on at the wrong level. Again, I made a change to this right before the ui change.

Also, bedside lamps cane on at mode change. They were not supposed to. Again, another change I made right before ui update. They were changed from coming in to being removed from the rule. They didn’t show at the to level, but were selected at the bottom level.

And a few other things. These were all in different rules.

But, I’m not worried about it, as I like the new ui…

…and

You have mentioned multiple times that the Android app does not like changes occurring in the apps.

So, I’m going to update my spread sheet and rebuild rule machine from the ground up. Full delete and rebuild.

I’ve figured out how I want my rules built and I’ve figured out a way to modify, add, remove things without having an impact on everything.

Basically multiple small rules tied to one central rule. The central rule is triggered by the trigger and uses Boolean to fire of the actions rules.

With this I can add new rules without a complete rule rebuild.

If I want my lights to do something different, but still be triggered by the motion sensor, I just create a rule triggered by Boolean change that performs the actions.

So it sounds like the settings got messed up? Did you look at the IDE?

What would I be looking for in the ide? It wasn’t just scheduled things so I didn’t think to look there

If you haven’t nuked your rules, you can see their settings. Are the settings right, or corrupted. This has nothing to do with the description display issue.

My Locations / List SmartApps / click on the rule