Rule Machine - Get peer assistance here with setting up rules

OK.

Conditions: presence present, time between sunset and sunrise, private Boolean true
Rule: presence present AND time between sunset and sunrise AND private Boolean true
Actions for true: capture light, light to 100%, set private Boolean to false delay 10 minutes
Actions for false: restore, set private Boolean true

You could change the circumstances from this regarding when or why you reset the private Boolean to true, which might make the rule true again.

What I don’t understand about your use case it this: Since you are present when home, what really is it that you want to cause the light to come on? Is this only supposed to happen once after you arrive? I’m missing something from your description for this to make much sense.

Thank you again. I’ll have to also look at the private Booleans as a way to change truth states.

My use case: This kitchen light (and some outside one’s too) come on due to my iPhone’s arrival (i.e., I’m home!) I turn on/brighten them for getting mail and checking for UPS deliveries at the front door (outside) and once I get inside, so I can see what I’m doing in the kitchen. I will possibly have my hands full of mail, packages, coats and boots. Also, the kitchen door from the garage is armed. and I need to disarm my now triggered (separate) FrontPoint Security System. Without RM/ST triggering my lights as described above, they wouldn’t always be bright enough - or even on. So, this rule turning on/brightening the lights speeds up the arrival and disarming process and makes it safer for my wife and I. Is that clearer?

Yep, so what you really want is an arrival process that happens once when you arrive home, but not again after that, correct?

This conditional trigger should work:

Trigger Event: presence arrives
Condition: private Boolean true
Actions for true: set private Boolean false, capture lights, lights to 100%, evaluate this rule delay 10 minutes
Actions for false: restore

You’d also need a separate trigger to reset this when you leave:

Trigger Event: presence leaves
Action: set first trigger’s private Boolean to true

Having worked that out, this would be a heck of a lot easier if RM could delay restore. Then it would be a simple trigger like this:

Trigger event: presence arrives
Actions: capture lights, lights to 100%, delay restore

I’m going to look at adding that delay option for restore!

2 Likes

Exactly! It’s a run once and done.

Having the ability to delay a restore would be excellent! Thank you for considering it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am just getting started on Rules Machine and the PB feature I am still trying to wrap my arms around.

1 Like

I like a Virtual Switch here as well. @btcompute I like what you did with the garage door autoclose! I am going to be duplicating that function but with a physical hardware override button in the garage instead of the virtual switch. The cheapest button interface I could find to do this was this key fob and programming one of the buttons to be the garage door autoclose override using the @kevintierney device handler and Rule Machine.

1 Like

dalec

Thanks.

I have been considering just mounting a simple switch in the garage, probably a small toggle switch that will be wired in line with one of the output wires from the relay.
If my wife or I am in the garage and want to keep the door open for a while, flipping this switch will deactivate the relay until the switch is flipped again.
This might be more convenient for my wife, making the automation more acceptable to her.

Anyone out there to help?

I know these seem basic but they are important to me :slightly_smiling: if I am going to figure this out

Rick

If you’re not seeing Intrusion Detection alerts on the Dashboard when the Alarm Status is in either Arm mode, that may be a question for ST support.
I use RM to set my mode and Alarm Status based on presence (and Arm(Stay) based on presence and bedroom door closing) and still get the Intrusion Detected messages.

Mode and Alarm Status are 2 separate items. Not everyone uses SHM (Smart Home Monitor) so they might not use the Alarm Status. The Alarm Status is just for notifications when something irregular occurs so that you can be aware of what’s going on when you’re away. It’s configurable, but has some flaws. Some people use Rule Machine instead by setting up rules for different modes that will alert them when things occur. Other people use Smart Alarm since it offers the ability to use a keypad with a delay

The Mode is generally used for Routines and, for apps like Rule Machine, a restriction to limit when certain rules will occur. The Mode can be used in SmartApps to alert you of something only if in a certain mode (some people only want to be notified that a window is left open for more than 5 minutes if they go into Away mode and leave the house, for example).

Thanks Brian for the reply

I do get the intrusion detection when I configure SHM but not when I set RM to monitor the same door. The trigger is setup to monitor in all modes and the SHM is set to Arm. Here are the screen shots

Are you saying you don’t get it if both are monitoring the door, or if you only have RM monitoring it?

You should get it if both monitor it.
If you only have RM monitoring it, it will not show up in the Dashboard. The Dashboard is specifically for SHM.

Perfect, your last sentence is what I was looking for

If only SHM is monitoring, I get Intrusion Detected and push, text notification
If only RM is monitoring, I only get push and/or text, no Dashboard alert.

So based on your example above re: “I use RM to set my mode and Alarm Status based on presence (and Arm(Stay) based on presence and bedroom door closing) and still get the Intrusion Detected messages.” I assume you are setting both RM and SHM

Thanks, Rick

Correct. I use both.
I have a keypad so I can disarm in the morning before I leave and it will auto-arm when my presence fob is gone.

Thanks Brian for the help

Rick

I wish! I’m still waiting for my hub to come back online since the outage. Smarthings reports all things are green but thats BD. Multiple people are still down, myself included.

Anyway thank you for the procedure. It will really help me out but time is of the essence in my case and this outage sucks.

I was wondering why you decided to do two rules if you mention you can do it in one. I don’t understand what you mean by smarthings issue.

It can be done with by feeding back on itself, essentially creating an infinite loop. But that is unstable by itself, and if you throw in the ST scheduler issues… Not a chance.

I’ve read @Rigging65’s post on creating a gradual dimmer using RM (here), and I get the gist. I have a couple of questions for the illuminati here about that:

1. I assume that, rather than using a delayed on/off with a virtual switch, you could instead use the “Evaluate Rules after Delay” action and use a recursive reference to do the looping, yes?
  2. Has anybody figured out how to do this in the other direction (a la "“Gentle Wake Up”) with just one rule? I realize that it’s straightforward to do with two, but if it can be done with one, I would consider that a more elegant solution.

I was wondering if someone could help me. I successfully got my lamp to turn green when my garage door opens, however, I can’t get my actions for false to happen. Here is a screenshot:

When the garage door closes, the lamp stays on green. It’s supposed to reset to white and turn off.

the rule is ignoring my actions for false

I think you need a separate rule for “closing” to trigger the reciprocal action.