Rule Machine Feature Requests

Hi @bravenel, there are two things with delays I would like to request:

1. I’d find it useful to have a delay pending cancellation on more individual actions. Currently I think it’s just on switch on/off or all actions?

2. When a delay is set on all the actions, then seconds and even milliseconds can be used. However when a delay is set on turning a switch on/off, the delay can only be minutes. It would be really useful to have seconds available here too.

When you create a rule, there is a section at the bottom for Restrictions. One of the options here is that you can set a rule to only run when in a certain mode. If you added your Store Run and Away modes here for that rule, it should only run when the mode changes to Home from those. This restriction will prevent the rule from even being evaluated in other modes.

yes but then when the time care to run the rule it would be in Home mode since the rule only runs once it has changed to home mode and the alarm is disarmed. I only want the rule to run when in home mode and it is is home mode whenever I am here and awake.

If you need multiple delays, you should consider breaking them out into multiple rules. SmartThings places restrictions on the number of scheduled (delayed) actions that a single SmartApp (rule) can schedule.

When I pick “Delay These Actions” I get options for minutes, seconds and milliseconds. The latter applies only to switch, open/close, and lock actions, because delay with milliseconds uses a special command that only applies to those types of actions.

When I pick “Turn on or off these switches after a delay (default is OFF)” I get options for minutes, seconds and milliseconds. This is what you’re requesting.

When I pick “Turn on or off these switches after a delay, pending cancellation (default is OFF)” I only get minutes as an option. This is because there is no way to cancel an action that uses the special seconds and milliseconds scheduling options. This is a limitation of ST, and there’s nothing Bruce can do about it.

In short, if you want cancelation, you must use a delay of at least one minute.

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks for the advice. Wasn’t aware of those limitations. Looks like multiple rules is the way I’ll need to go.

Would it be possible to include the option of running custom commands by mode? Specifically, like the dimming by mode feature.

I’ve actually thought of this for a need I have. I will look at it. I guess it would throw up the mode choices, and then instead of level per mode, it would be command(s) per mode.

Bruce -

That’s exactly what I was hoping for. I wrote a custom service manager for my Hue lights that allows me to use groups and scenes ([UPDATED as of March 24, 2016] Hue Lights & Groups & Scenes (OH MY!)). My scene device types have a function that allows me to apply the scene to a group (instead of the whole house). I use RM’s custom command feature to do so. I have a scene for each mode (I have 11), so having custom commands per mode would greatly reduce the number of rules I use / overall complexity.

Thanks,
Tony

Bruce-:

I notice in your app, you have “set these dimmers” and “set these other dimmers”.

You also have “set color for these bulbs.”

How about adding “set color for these other bulbs?” That way we can set more than one bulb and different colors for different bulbs in one rule? Colors need some “other” love too, not just dimmers! Thanks for making smartthings what it is today…!

2 Likes

I put this in another thread, but I guess I should put it here. Can we get support for plantlink when using the default ST/Plantlink provided device handler please?

What does this mean? What is it that you want to do??

the plantlink sensors report water moisture in soil. Then it will state if the plant needs water. Ideally, I would like to use rule machine to look at one ore more plants and then turn a valve on for 10 min.

This is what it looks like in ST when it is all good. In a few days I can show you what needs water looks like

There is the official device handler in Smartthings and then there is a custom one someone wrote. I am currently wanting to use the official device handler

The official device handler supports Relative Humidity Measurement, which is probably the attribute you want to use. Rule Machine already supports that as a Condition / Trigger event, as Humidity.

See if that works for you.

Unless I am looking in the wrong place they do not show up in RM

That’s interesting. Are you using the standard device handler?

Evidently, there is more than one device handler. I found the one you are probably using, and it doesn’t support Relative Humidity. It seems to be completely custom, with only “Sensor” as a capability. Given that, there is no way for it to be supported in Rule Machine. Rule Machine supports some, but not all, documented capabilities. Plant Link doesn’t use documented capabilities at all. Sorry.

Ok thank you for looking at it. I am not sure i get the nuts and bolts. Or more to say why the “official” way of setting these up are so far out of the norm for smart things. Maybe I will look at on of the other device handlers now.

Look at what @sidjohn1 has done. That might be made to work. I don’t know.

Generally speaking, RM can’t work with these complex 3rd party integrations, unless someone has made them look like conventional ST devices.

Hi Bruce!

First of all, I’m really loving Rule Machine. Thank you for all the work you’ve put into it!

A request—and perhaps it’s already been discussed, but I wasn’t able to find it. Certain z-wave switches are able to utilize a double tap, or a push and hold. The double-tap SmartApp already exists, but its consistency isn’t great.

Is this something you’d ever consider adding?

No, and for the reason you cited: it doesn’t really work. It may work sometimes for some specific switches, but the very nature of z-wave mesh network and ST cloud makes it very dubious. I’m surprised it works at all to be frank.

Won’t touch it… :grinning: