Rule Machine Feature Requests

But aren’t you setting those yourself? Or are you trying to catch settings someone makes to the thermostat?

In this scenario I have a set of vents that have a peescribed open close pattern. In the summer the pattern is different than winter. I Would like to set the vent pattern and logics based on the thermostat setting.

I understand, but how is the thermostat being set?

The thermostat is set by the user at the thermostat.

I’ll think about it, but it’s a lot of work for something pretty esoteric, especially if it’s seasonal in nature.

Thank you, your correct a seasonal problem, and I can utilize a virtual switch. Most of the adjustments to my home temperature are made by individuals not using Smarthings interface and interface directly with the thermostat. I have installed smart tiles and if a user sets the heat from the smart tile ecobee interface I still am not clear on how my schedule is updated.

You’re going to be better off writing a custom app for vent management. I have 10 keen vents, and a pretty good understanding of rule machine, and I’m off in my head right now writing an app for them…

3 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it sure would be be nice to have a toggle to turn a rule On/Off, so one could test a new rule without having to trash the old one. I realize this could be done by setting up a switch, but I just want an Active/Inactive toggle on the main rule page.

Not possible. There is a disable switch. There is no way to turn an app on/off.

Create a “RM Temp Disable” simulated switch and leave it on. Add it to rules you want to disable at the bottom. As many or as few as you like.

As Bruce mentioned, no way to build this into the app without a switch to tie it to.

The above is what I have done for testing purposes, etc.

As others have mentioned previously you can also create a new mode that the rule will only run in. Create a new mode that you will never use and set the rule to only run in that mode.

Oh please o please share when you get that done :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, however I understand just enough c and java to modify software but not enough background to start from scratch. I have rule machine running perfectly.

I dont know if you take feature requests but…

I have a bunch of the Keen smart vents and a nest thermostat. I have them set to adjust how open they are based on room temp. what I would like to be able to do is close when the blower fan for the HVAC is off. There is no option for the thermostat features directly in the rule machine . think it can be done? so if the state is anything but idle it could be used as a trigger or condition

if (data.shared.hvac_ac_state) {
sendEvent(name: ‘thermostatOperatingState’, value: “cooling”)
} else if (data.shared.hvac_heater_state) {
sendEvent(name: ‘thermostatOperatingState’, value: “heating”)
} else if (data.shared.hvac_fan_state) {
sendEvent(name: ‘thermostatOperatingState’, value: “fan only”)
} else {
sendEvent(name: ‘thermostatOperatingState’, value: “idle”)
}

Adding to this I think it would be helpful if the mode of a thermostat and set point temperature for a thermostat (not the current temperature) could be used as a capability for a rule condition as well. For example in the winter I would have a rule to check if the thermostat is in heat mode and the room temperature is above the thermostat set point, if so close vent. For the summer i would have a different rule to check if the thermostat is in cool mode and the room temperature is below thermostat set point.

I could see that the only thing I would add these is it would only work if all rooms were set to the same temp. My bedroom I keep a couple degrees cooler than the kids rooms and the living room is different from them too.

I would like to second this feature request. Rule Machine and the keen vents are working great.

@sgoncalves, @Brian_Murphy,

Guys, this isn’t going to happen for a number of reasons, not least of which is this:

3 Likes

If any of you are interested in what I’m writing for the Keens:
See this post…

1 Like

I second adding thermostat support - what I am looking for is checking against a certain thermostatOperatingState.

I have two rules to achieve the following:

When I return home and my wife’s car is charging, start monitoring the power consumption and send a message once the charging has completed (so that I can switch the charger over to my car). The determination about whether or not the car is charging is based on the energy consumption of the whole house. This works well now in winter (comparing to an over/under value). However, in summer the AC might be running, which would change the threshold value up by several kW. If I could check the thermostatOperatingState (and see whether it is cooling), I could take that into account for the threshold value.