Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Makes sense, so I now have this:

Does that look correct?

That looks like what I had described. I am hoping that it works out for you. Still very green myself.

What differentiates the following action types:

Set these dimmers
Set these other dimmers
Toggle these dimmers
Adjust these dimmers

I can see that Adjust these dimmers is by an amount - up or down?

What is toggle these dimmers? Does this just mean switch their state from the current to the opposite? If so why not a switch option?

Set these dimmers does just that to one or more, to a selected level; note all to that level.

Set these other dimmers does the same thing; this allows two different dimmer levels in one rule. This is needed if you have mixed LED and incandescent light sources in one area, to balance the brightness.

Toggle these dimmers also sets dimmers to a selected level, if they were off; otherwise, it turns them off. This feature is needed because on/off toggle has the possibly unfortunate outcome of turning a dimmer on to its previous level. Suppose every evening you like the dimmer at 30%, but during the day at some point it is turned on to 90%. Then that evening, a switch toggle would turn it on to 90%. So this action overcomes that problem when a toggle is the desired type of control. An example is using a button on a bedside Minimote to toggle bedroom lights.

Adjust dimmers simply adds or subtracts from the current dimmer level.

Track event dimmer (available on Set these dimmers) causes the level to be set to the current level of the dimmer that last sent a level event to the rule. This is tricky. The dimmer to be tracked must be either a trigger or a condition of a rule, but not a condition of a triggered rule (so that there is a subscription to the dimmerā€™s events). There can be multiple of these. The common use would be in a trigger, where a level change of the tracked dimmer causes others to be set to the same level. In a room with 3 dimmers, you can set it up so that changing the level on any of them, changes it on all of them.

Iā€™ve been thinking I should reorganize all of this onto a dimmer setting pageā€¦

3 Likes

Okay, I get the set dimmers / set these dimmers - this is essentially group a and group b of dimmers.

I get Adjust dimmers.

I do not get the difference between Set these Dimmers / Toggle these Dimmers.

If I use set these dimmers - I assume it turns on that light and sets the dimmers to the specified level.

Does Toggle these dimmers turn on the light, adjust the level to the specified level then turn it off immediately?

Toggle is simply

if itā€™s on, turn it off
if itā€™s off, turn it on to this level

Thanks Bruce.

And Set these Dimmers is:
Turn on these dimmers to this level. /EOL

I am assuming??

1 Like

Correct.

Although in theory you could use the Set These Dimmers for adjusting from current values, too.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a handful of rules, and one of them isnā€™t doing what I want. I checked live logging to see if I could tell what is going on, and keep seeing a lot of error messages saying to ā€œPlease update to V1.6 or laterā€, though I have the latest version. Did I possibly mess something up when updating?

Please open any rule you have, and then hit Done.

Then look at the very bottom of the main page of Rule Machine, and tell me what the version numbers are.

Hmm. I donā€™t see a version number at the bottom of the main page (or anywhere for that matter). Last things on the page are expert features and remove rule machine.

Then you donā€™t have the latest versions.

Would you please get the latest source from Github for both Rule Machine and Rule.

Rule Machine github:
https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule-machine.src/rule-machine.groovy. Save and Publish for me.

Rule github: https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy, just save, donā€™t publish.

Please let me know if that solves the problem.

Yep, that fixed the errors and gave me the version number, so I must have screwed up something during the last update. I ended up deleting it, but most of my rules are fairly straightforward so not too much work. Iā€™ll re-enter the rules and see if it changes anything. Biggest two issues I was having were getting motion+lights to work which I think is my own stupidity. Second one is getting lifx bulbs to change color, which seems to be more of a challenge.

Well that didnā€™t go as planned. Light wonā€™t turn on from initial motion, get all kinds of errors:

d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:46 PM: info Bedroom Light Automaton is False
d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:46 PM: info Bedroom Light Automaton is False, but delayed by 1 minute
d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:46 PM: info Cannot get operand for i: ) isR: true
d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:46 PM: info Cannot get operand for i: AND isR: true
d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:46 PM: info Bedroom Light Automaton: Bedroom Motion Sensor motion active
d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:41 PM: info Bedroom Light Automaton is False
d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:41 PM: info Bedroom Light Automaton is False, but delayed by 1 minute
d456074f-c527-4de3-9ec7-5f7c43d59b34  8:52:41 PM: info Bedroom Light Automaton: Bedroom Motion Sensor motion inactive

I recreated it a few times, made sure to go back to each page before moving to the next (android) and same result. Any other thoughts? And thank you for the help!

Iā€™m a little confused as you have the Bedroom Light and Bedroom Light #2 in there for being off or being on. It seems as though you donā€™t actually care about the state for those lamps as far as this rule is concerned for the conditions.
You could just leave them out all together I think, since you are really just looking if Bedroom Motion Sensor is Active and if Erinā€™s Lamp and Mikeā€™s Lamp are both off.

No, hereā€™s the logic Iā€™m using:

Sometimes we want the Bedroom 1&2 lights on with one or both of the lamps for more light, when thatā€™s the case we donā€™t want the Bedroom 1&2 turning off after the motion timeout.

When no lights are on, we want just the Bedroom 1&2 lights to come on via motion for the timed duration.

If either Lamp is already on, we donā€™t want the Bedroom 1&2 to come on unless weā€™ve manually turned them on.

So when watching TV for example we donā€™t want 1&2 to turn on from motion, I put my lamp at 1% thus preventing anything from changing state. A motion disable of sorts.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m making this overly difficult, but the WAF is at stake with this one.

Those arenā€™t errors, those are the results of your rules. Looks like you have some kind of loop or rule interaction going on.

Not sure if itā€™s just a UI issue, but one of the parentheses is missingā€¦ Could that be causing the loop issue?
There should be a closed parenthesis after the first AND statement. It almost seems like it never closed the sub-rule. Again, could just be an Android UI issue

Hereā€™s the dump from the IDE, looks like a closed parentheses is missing at the end, but the commas seem all messed up. This is beginning to hurt my head. :smile:

Name	Value
actsFalse	Delay by 1 minute [Cancel] Off: Bedroom Light, Bedroom Light #2
actsTrue	On: Bedroom Light, Bedroom Light #2
cstCmds	[]
delayStrFalse	Delay by 1 minute [Cancel]
disabled	false
eval	[1, AND, (, 2, OR, (, 3, AND, 4, )]
howMany	5
howManyT	1
isExpert	false
lastEvtName	Bedroom Motion Sensor
n	8
str	Bedroom Motion Sensor active AND ( [Bedroom Light, Bedroom Light #2, Erin's Lamp, Mike's Lamp] all off OR ( [Bedroom Light, Bedroom Light #2] all on AND [Erin's Lamp, Mike's Lamp] all off )
success	false
token	2

Enhancement Request:

Dim these Dimmers to this level after a delay.

Use case - I have about 10 lights I like to have on level 2 for 95% of things.

However there are times I want them to hit 10 as part of a rule, but then reset to 2 before turning off so that next time they turn on - manually or other apps - they go to 2. I can do this with RM as is, but it will take two rules for every time I want I want a light to go to 10 temporarily - say for motion detected outside - front lights on at level 10 for 10 minutes then shut off. I think I need a second rule today to go clean that up, and dim to level 2 then shutoff.