Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Thanks Mike and Bruce.

To explain more, I was using two rules - DaytimeMotion and NighttimeMotion. Both just turn lights on when motion happens, and off 3 minutes later, the only difference being the colour of the bulbs.
I found that if I wanted red lighting at night (based on Mode), and it was the first time I’d triggered the lights that night (so the stored colour was white), the lights would go white for a fraction of a second, then red. It also felt like they were going bright then dim, but since Hue ramps up rather than comes on instantly it was hard to tell.
So, I changed to just one rule for “turn lights on when motion”, and then a rule that changes the bulb colour to red when the mode is “night”. Because the bulbs are already red when they come on, it doesn’t flash white.
I was just hoping to move the light brightness logic (30 at night, 85 in the day) to that same rule, to make the motion rule simpler. Not an issue though, I was just surprised that there was something it couldn’t do!

Thanks again for the quick reply.

@bravenel what are the odds of us ever being able to run this locally as opposed to through the cloud?

Send in a support ticket…
Developers aren’t able to make the choice of where these apps run.

Unknown. Ask SmartThings for it, maybe they will listen if enough people ask. It should be able to, because except for the Expert Features, it’s all pretty much stock ST stuff. Plus, the way it works, if there was a rule which couldn’t run local, that wouldn’t mean that others couldn’t. So, it’s up to ST.

Thanks – that’s fairly close, but it makes the assumption that one of the group 2 lights will always be on when I want this to occur. That’s probably true 90%+ of the time in practice, but it might not be true. I think what would fix this for me is if the “disable switch” option allowed me to select multiple switches, and ORed their on states. So if ANY of them was on, this rule was disabled.

Or just use a trigger tied to group 2 switches, and have that turn on a virtual switch. Virtual switch is the disable switch. I do this as my standard disable method, a virtual switch turned on by various means, including Echo.

Ah. Very good. Thanks!

the old rule I have to turn on light and set to 15% with motion is working fine…
the new one under the new code (there is no longer a turn off on false with delay canceleable option) is not working
if I use the new delay 2 minutes canceleable. it never turns off.

if I instead use the option turn off on false with delay ( there is no canceleable anymore) it flashes on and off as shown in the logs.

my rule is 2 things simple if light is already off and there is motion

positive is turn on light and set level to 15%
false on the one that works is turn off with delay 2 minutes canceleable

falso on the one that does not work as above I’ve tried 2 different ways neither of which work.

thanks

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎41‎:‎00‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

I believe it never the flashing is normal as the option without the delay turns off immediately but there is still motion as my sensor takes 3 minutes before clearing…

the other option I think is not working because if it ever cancels it never reschedules so then never turns off…
for now I guess until I can get the old logic back I will need to switch back to the stock lighting automations without dimming levels.

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎58‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎57‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎54‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎52‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎51‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎49‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎48‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎47‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

17067f06-1347-46ff-941c-d21caa005870 ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎44‎ ‎PM: debug setLevel >> value: 15

I implemented the gradual dim setup you have listed and it works great! But I noticed that while the light does go off at 0%, the switch stays on. I imagine this is because I’m using the dim function on a hue bulb, but the % actually keeps going, into the negative. I stopped the cycle by building another rule that triggers an Off command when the dimmer goes less than 2%, but this seems like it might be a bug…that is, shouldn’t the switch default to off when it gets to 0%? Is this a bug or a hue issue?

With a dimmer, when you dim to 0% that does turn it off. So this is a difference in the Hue device type.

I’ve seen device types that specifically issue hardware off commands when the dim level is at 0%, so it may or may not be specifically implemented in the hardware device.

All you have to do is take my example and change the condition of dimmer-on to dimmer level >0.

Can’t help you without seeing the rules you have setup. Post screenshots.

Final addition for 2015: Speech

Just pushed version 1.6.7. This allows you to select a speech device to speak a message, in addition to push and SMS.

Enjoy! Have a safe holiday!!

Github: https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy

3 Likes

Have a great Holiday

Great addition!

However, with the TTS currently broken, this is throwing errors when trying to save a rule. https://github.com/SmartThingsUle/Sonos-Notify-with-Sound-External-TTS has a work-around for the broken textToSpeech() function that seems to work well (using an external service if textToSpeech() throws an error).

@bravenel

Or using an external TTS device such as Landroid, it evens connects to Amazon Alexa via Bluetooth while still maintaining all of Alexa’s capabilities. (It can pause music playing between announcements).

Bruce, I have a request! Can you keep your hands off the keyboard and onto the Champagne glass…3, 2, 1…Happy New Year!

3 Likes

Submitted a ticket myself as well, Given the information you provided above.

This isn’t using TTS, but capability.speechSynthesis. I have only tested it with LANdroid Alerter. What is the error it is throwing?