Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

That’s something for us to think about. In the meantime you can create “trailing” triggers, tied to a rule, that run whenever the rule proves true / false. Each with a custom command, all from the one rule. Just make rule truth the trigger event.

2 Likes

How about this:

conditions: space heater on, no motion in kitchen; rule: a AND b; actions true: turn off space heater after 60 minute delay pending cancellation.

What happens is that when motion stops with the space heater on, the timer starts. If there is no motion for 60 minutes, the heater is turned off. If there is motion, the timer is cancelled; until motion stops again and it starts over.

Thanks that makes sense… should’ve figured it out myself.

Can’t get the message me part working
.as there is no delay on that. Maybe need option to run a routine after delay cancelable… so I can have the routine turn off the switch and send a message. I know u could create a virtual switch that does this but that seems cumbersome. Thanks.

For now using notify me when smartapp to notify me when the space heater gets turned off.

I’ve run into a problem.
Everything was working just fine, and then I got the “You are not authorized red box of crap” thing.
Here’s the error in the live logging:

@bamarayne
Did this error pop up in a rule? or when working in expert…

@Mike_Maxwell
When working in expert

OK, if we can keep the expert issues over in the expert post, that would help Bruce and I with the “you take it, I got it” issues.
@bamarayne, It appears that you are working on a new command with a parameter, but the parameter value field is empty?
If the command doesn’t have any parameters, then parameter type needs to be unchecked. If it requires a parameter, type and value must be entered.
can you post the issue and a screen shot of your select parameters page over in the expert topic?
I might be able to trap these errors, or maybe the instructions need updating.

I have 2 questions to try and better understand Rule Machine and make sure I’m creating rules that run efficiently with my hub and the cloud:

1. Currently I have two rules:
    “Someone Arrives During the Day” Triggers - A Arrives or B Arrives, Rule - Time between Sunrise & Sunset, Actions for True - Unlock Door

“Someone Arrives at Night” Triggers - A Arrives or B Arrives, Rule - Time between Sunset & Sunrise, Actions for True - Unlock Door and Turn on Lights

Couldn’t I create 1 rule “Someone Arrives” Triggers - A Arrives or B Arrives; Rule - Time between Sunrise & Sunset, Actions for True - Unlock Door, Actions for False - Unlock Door and Turn on Lights?

1. Won’t be needing this one for much longer but for future reference with rules using the same conditions I want to create a rule to turn on my Christmas tree lights if A or B are present between the hours of Sunset and 9:30 and then turn them off at 9:30. Which of the following is the best/correct way to create this rule?

a) Triggers – None, Rule – (A present AND Time between Sunset and 9:30 PM) OR (B present AND Time between Sunset and 9:30 PM), Actions for True – On: Christmas Tree Lights, Actions for False – Off: Christmas Tree Lights

b) Triggers – None, Rule – (A present or B present) and Time between Sunset and 9:30 PM, Actions for True – On: Christmas Tree Lights, Actions for False – Off: Christmas Tree Lights

c) Rule 1 Triggers – None, Rule – A present or B present, Actions for True – On: Christmas Tree Lights, Only during a certain time Sunset and 9:30 PM
Rule 2 Triggers - Certain Time 9:30 PM, Actions - Off: Christmas Tree Lights

d) Some other combination of using Triggers, Rule, and/or Only During a Certain time.

Am I just overthinking everything and should be using the KISS method? Thanks for the input.

I’m trying to install Rule Machine, I set up the two SmartApps, Published the RM App, and just created and saved the Rule App.

I scanned through the thread to try to find something related, but didn’t see it. When I go to My Apps, RM shows up, but when I hit Create New Rule, it gives me an Unexpected Error, and nothing happens.

I am running V1 Hub, and a Galaxy S5 Phone. Updated ST App to the latest. Tried looking in Live Logging, but nothing shows up there (presumably because the app isnt even installed yet, only published?)

Anyone have any ideas?

Hit Done in Rule Machine before creating rules. Then you will find Rule Machine under My Home SmartApps. At that point you should be able to create Rules.

Stupid me. I didn’t read your great instructions close enough. I just noticed that step right as you replied. Thanks much!

I know this has been discussed but the damn thread is now 1300+ entries long :wink:
Was there, or is there, a solution to rules failing if modes are crossed?
e.g. I have an Xmas lights rule that turns on at 16:00 and off at 23:30. It seems to fail the off if we go to bed before 23:30 and I change mode from evening to night.

A mode change shouldn’t affect anything unless you included mode as a condition or have a mode restriction. I suggest you check the rule in question in the IDE. My Locations / List SmartApps. Click on the rule and you can see its scheduled jobs and past executions. See if that looks right. Check the run time of the app, see if it ran last night, and how long it took to execute. That info would be useful to diagnose what’s happening.

Just post over there and delete you posts from here.

1 Like

expert shenanigans (er features) and conversation go here:

The logs look OK for execution. Last night:
stopHandler 2015-12-23 11:30:02 PM PST 2015-12-23 11:30:02.732 PM PST 616 3164
but this morning, as many times in the past, I woke up to the Xmas lights on.
“And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore”

I just pushed an update to Rule, Version 1.6.1, that includes this capability. You can now select that the name of the device that triggers a rule evaluation event or trigger event can be displayed in a push or SMS message. So, with one trigger you could monitor every battery in your system for reporting below some threshold, and have the action be a push which includes the name of the reporting device.

4 Likes

Love this idea!

However, I set it up as a Rule vs. Trigger, but does it really matter? Also, since I now have the most current version of Rule/Rule Machine running is it necessary to have installed Trigger Happy anymore? Thanks.

The new version has triggers integrated into rules. You can still create a trigger simply by omitting any conditions, and only selecting the action. Trigger Happy is obsolete, but if you have old Triggers running under it, those are still good. If not, then you can remove it.

Minor update pushed to Github. Version 1.6.1a. Now displays rule truth when you are finished creating the rule.

Github: https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy