Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

I have a simple Rule that was working earlier and just randomly stopped, not sure if related to me updating to current code.

Rule: Time between 9PM to 11PM
True: Turn On AQ2, Push AQ2 On
False: Turn Off AQ2, Push AQ2 Off

Usually, when I hit Done in the app, I get my push message but this time I’m getting nothing at all. I’ve recreated the Rule and even reinstalled the smartapp code but no go.

Edit: One of my night mode virtual switch worked as expected at 10PM, the strange thing is it’s set up almost the exact same way as the one I’m having trouble with.

Edit2: Went back to Dec 8 code and events executed as expected.

Thanks for searching for a solution @bravenel - this one usually bites me in the following scenario:

My wife goes into the garage, forgetting that there is motion automation for the inside garage light (“I’ve turned on light switches all my life”) and manually turns the switch on (which turns my virtual switch tied to disable rule on). I will sometimes see that, and turn the virtual switch off. If that happens, I get the same behavior for that light as @2l82try1 sees - after the light is off, if I turned off the virtual switch through the app (not with the physical off switch triggering the virtual switch off state), then the first time I go back into the garage, the motion sensor fires, but does not turn on the light. It’s behaving like the rule is still disabled that first time after the virtual switch used as the disable control is turned off.

Thanks.

@bravenel
Once we perform the update do we need to go through each rule and again and click done? I’ve had to do this with each update AND each time my hub goes off line. I have to do this or my rules aren’t working. Well, some of the rules. The simple ones work fine, but things with timers and schedules stop working. It’s not that big of a deal except for two things…

1. I was reconfiguring a rather extensive network in the house today (moved around hardware and added a wireless bridge/AP for better coverage). I took my hub offline about 5 times.

2. Each time I go through the rule to refresh it the rule is evaluated and fires. Is there a way to stop them from firing just because we click done?

Not sure if this a a bug or I am doing something wrong. Setting up new rule with condition #1 Time of day. I get a required input that I can not fill out. shows no devices to connect. The next input I can set the time conditions just fine

I am running the latest version as of last night. Let me know if I missing something. thanks for all the work on this.

@bravenel
Found something when using time of day as a condition. When i click “press to set” I get “no devices to connect”. Under “tap to set” it gives me an option of “during a certain time”, Im able to fill that in but “tap to set” is still in red and clicking done gives me “please fill out all required fields” error. I can back out of the conditions page and I now have the time as an condition and “during a certain time” under more options filled in. Im on android 5.0

I guess we typed this at almost the same time :smile:

Yep, there’s a bug there, that you and @mnflanagan97 have stepped on with Time of Day. I will track that down shortly…

Sounds like a logic problem / race condition. A couple of points: The timing from her manually turning on the switch to the virtual switch turning on is indeterminate, could be many seconds or right away. Remember, once disabled, the Rule isn’t going to evaluate the conditions, so rule truth is not going to change during that period. You then turn off the virtual switch, re-enabling the rule. But, what’s its rule truth at that moment? Whatever it was when that first disable hit, which was probably true due to motion. The first time you go back into the garage and trip motion, it’s still true, so takes no action.

You should rethink what you’re doing and how you’re doing it.

As a general remark, using a physical switch to disable motion of the light that switch turns on is dicey. These are subtle and difficult automations. Better to use some other mechanism to disable / enable motion.

Sent you a PM about your issue. Please respond…

Generally, you should not have to go through each rule and click done, ever. Perhaps there is some issue with Hub V2 that I am not aware of, but generally, all device subscriptions for Rule Machine are in the cloud, and have nothing to do with the hub. It’s a bit of an urban myth at this point that redoing subscriptions by going into an app and hitting done fixes things that are broken. That might be true, but isn’t necessarily the case.

You can always go to the IDE and see the subscriptions. If you can see a subscription, and you can determine for certain that it isn’t working, then going in and hitting done makes sense. Otherwise, you’re just giving yourself more work. Likewise for scheduled things, you can see the scheduled job and past executions of scheduled jobs in the IDE. Only if a schedule is known to be failing should you bother to go in and hit Done.

Yes, each time you hit Done for a Rule it evaluates the Rule. It always has done that. Usually, this shouldn’t be an issue, since you’re just doing that when you first set up the Rule and you know what to expect. In the case of going back through all of them, well, don’t.

Just updated and tried it out. The time that I input for a condition is also populated for during a certain time under more options when hitting done. I had a rule from a few days ago that I deleted and want to recreate. It had a condition of garage door closed or time day. Now the entire rule is being restricted to the time.

Yes, a related bug. Give me a little bit, tracking it down…

Sounds good. Thx for all the hard work.

OK, now I think I’ve got it. Can you test that for me? I just pushed the fix.

Looks good. Thanks. Like the new features.

Works perfectly now, thx.

1 Like

Spoke too soon. It does not appear to be evaluating time between Sunset and Sunrise correctly

I have a rule setup with a trigger on a door contact. Condition #1 is other lights are off and Condition #2 is between sunset and sunrise. Action: turn on entry light.

When testing it now I would not expect the light to turn, because the sun has risen. Am I misundering how that time eval works? The light is turning on.

[Can Lights, Island Light, Lamps, Lower Cabinet Lights, Table Light, Upper Cabinet Lights, Laundry Light] all off AND Time between Sunset and Sunrise

OK, That’s fixed. Turned out I wrote a bunch of code to make it work, and failed by 1 character to hook it in the right place.

You can tell right away when it shows you the conditions on the main page. That bug made sunset to sunrise show as TRUE.

All good now. Thanks

1 Like

You might have fixed it already, my issue was similar to @mnflanagan97. What I was doing wrong was click the “< Rule” because hitting “Done” was not letting me go back and save.

I will install updated code and report back later.