Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Yeah, I agree. It seems like as soon as I start adding devices based on external APIs things start breaking down. Had no problems and virtually no lag with only local apps and devices, but as soon as I started adding cloud based apps and devices I ran into problems. Oh well…I like my Hues, my Echo, my Harmony, my Sonos to work with ST, but maybe I can do without, if that is what it takes to have a reliable system…

I’ve noticed more frequently the “delays” taking place. It appears to me to be a problem more in the past 2 months than anything else. Every so often a light won’t turn on with motion or when I arrive home.

Cloud = very likely.

I haven’t changed “too much” so its a little hard for me to believe the hub/events are causing the problems but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Does anyone have a good solution for the presence sensor detecting in less than 30 seconds? When I drive home, i want the garage door to open without waiting the maximum time period. I’ve tried an extender but I can’t tell if it works… doesn’t seem to pick me up any faster but I have no way to tell what is connecting to it.

Is there a way to trigger a rule manually? Perhaps from a Routine or a simulated contact closure?

That would be great, but might not solve the problem. As it is, I just go into the rule definition and click Done to cause the re-evaluation.

Sure. You could use a virtual momentary button tile, add it as a condition (switch-on), but not part of the rule.

Trigger Happy has a trigger of a Routine runs, but that wouldn’t work for Rule Machine.

This is one of my biggest annoyance with v2. With v1, I was able to achieve about 60% success rate of opening the door door on time. That rate went down to “teens” after migrating to v2. :frowning: Was actually thinking the other day to just run v1 to open the garage door. It collects dust anyway, so why not using it…

Trust me. v1 has been just as unreliable since v2 was released. There’s been times I’ve been ready to rip the whole system out.

2 Likes

I just pushed a small update to Rule. Could you see if you still have this problem. I may have found a fix for it.

@guywmartin, @Mike_Maxwell, @2l82try1: Would you guys check to see if this is still a problem?

Version 1.2.14

@Bobby With over 50 devices in my house, I’m not going to migrate to v2 until they have a good migration tool. They must be crazy to think anyone would.

We have a few people on the v2 hub but they don’t use it as extensively as I do… so I don’t know how well v2 is working.

Still seeing the issue on False (when selecting Pending OFF with Delay). Also, when creating a new (test) rule, I got an error, which left a blank rule that I had to remove manually.

I migrated 100 plus devices as soon as v2 was first shipped and the migration process was the least painful experience I had since. But with all the problems, I don’t regret doing it. At least I will be ready when the platform will…

i am seeing issues on FALSE with pending OFF as well. Either not turning off at all or turning off when additional motions actually occurred.

Migrating isn’t that big of a deal, I had 150 devices at the time.

Guys, I think we’re talking about different problems. The issue you both responded to concerned a UI glitch on Android, where sometimes when setting the actions and hitting Done the main page does not display the selected actions.

Were either of you responding to that, or were you talking about something else?

I migrated and I have about 50 devices. Took two hours.

1 Like

Just updated and made a test rule. This is happing for actions, either true or false. “Turn on these switches” and “turn off these switches” works with the first done. “Turn on/off these switches after a delay (default is OFF)”, “Turn on/off these switches after a delay, pending cancellation (default is OFF)”, “set these dimmers” and “set these other dimmers” all take two tries. Hope this helps and let me know if you need me to try anything else.

2 Likes

I was responding to the UI glitch. I’ve not seen the other issue reported.

That’s consistent with my re-testing as well.

Thank you!! That’s the key. I found the problem. Now I just have to figure out how to fix it. Each of these contexts involve adding an extra input, for delay time or level.

2 Likes

The smartthings arrival sensor pings the hub every 30 seconds. That’s not adjustable as far as I know. So you can never predict exactly how long it will take to register you as having arrived, but if you were right on the edge of the time interval, it would take about 35 seconds. If you were right before the very next ping it might only take six or seven. But you can’t forcibly adjust it to be less than 30 because it’s a fixed rate interval. That’s in large part to save battery life.

Also, like all zigbee devices, you cannot predict the path it will take through the mesh to get to the hub unless it just happens to be within one hop. Many people add a repeater in the garage or near window in order to extend the distance covered by the geolocation zone, but that can also lengthen the delay before the sensor is recognized as having arrived because it takes the first hop to the repeater, and it may then not go directly to the hub from there. It might go down to the basement first, or up to the second floor first. And it might take a different path each time.

So nothing to do with rule machine, it’s just the way this particular device works.