Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

@ady624

I want my alarm to doing at 8am every single day, and only at 8am.

A trigger makes this happen.

A rule would have the alarm sound between 7:59 and 8:01.

Trigger means once.
Rule means over a period of time.

But internally, the rule runs based on events as well - it doesnā€™t just run continuously or every 1 minute, unless you ask it to - which is time triggered then.

Actually, we could do away with rules and triggers.

Conditional triggers can do everything.

2 Likes

If you are right, then my logic is not ā€œflawedā€ and I was right, there is no point in having to get the user to decide which path to take. Instead, the app should ā€œguideā€ him through towards the goal. Easy and simplistic, but versatile - I know these are two opposing things, balance must be found :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s only sort of true. If you omit Conditions and save it, when you go back it will be a Trigger. If you omit Trigger Events, and save it, when you go back it will be a Rule. Once itā€™s a Trigger or a Rule, thatā€™s it. But thatā€™s just the UI interpreting your selections.

Trigger and Rule are completely different anyway.

Yes - just as I outlined above. Even though events do get created when the temperature changes, the rule only gets evaluted on truth change (i.e., going from below 100 to above 100).

Actually, I prefer it like it is.

I use triggers: mode changes, speech initiation.

I use rules for things like in my back bathroom

• door closes and motion active and the fan is off, 2 minutes later fan turns on.

• If the fan is on, it stays on.

• if you go in, and the fan is off and the door is left open, fan stays off.

• if you go in, close the door, stay and the fan comes on, it stays on until you leave.

Basically, with the rule I created my bathroom knows if you are in the room, if you are just there to wash your hands or pee, or if you are in there dropping ST hubs in the pool. And it knows when you leave.

If I used triggers, that would take multiple trigger rules.

I do all of that above with one single rule and 3 smart devices.

Now, you should see what I can do with a combo scenario consisting of triggers, rules, and conditions triggers.

Trust me, if you want simple and easy to use, use smart lighting.

If you want true freedom and power to do what ever you can affordably imagine, use rule machine.

1 Like

I felt the same way when I first started with RM.

But itā€™s really about how you think about it. On the surface it seems as if they are the sane, but they really arenā€™t.

A trigger is a one time event caused by an action.
A rule is an action caused by the evaluation of events.

1 Like

Donā€™t you mean, a one time action caused by an event?

Now, what I posted above sounds like it takes an incredible about of programming.

If I could only use triggers (like in smart lighting) then I would have to use a lot of triggers, and I donā€™t think I could accomplish what Iā€™ve done.

This is what it takes to do what I posted.

1 - GE smart switch
1 - door contact sensor
1 - Motion sensor

And this one rule

It could also be called a one time happening caused by another happening.

It really is in the way you think of it. The basics of it are in the pure logic of the machine.

And my method of a similar thing that just uses a motion sensor and also controls the light:

You cannot legally distribute it according to the license in the header. As I pointed out in the other thread, the Apache 2.0 License was removed on March 21 in version 1.8.2c, making that the last version that can be given out.

Mine is for the back hall bath, itā€™s of the utility part of the house (garage, kitchen, laundry). People are in and out constantly and I didnā€™t want the fan on all of the time.

So if I would want to share I would have to take ownership with an agreement with Bruce?

And the ST Cloud just took a dumpā€¦ must be all that work going on at the Samsung Dev Conf this weekā€¦ grrrr.

What do you mean? Mineā€™s working???

Complete loss of ST Cloud connectivity here - SmartTiles, Android app, as well as IDEā€¦

It looks like itā€™s struggling to come backā€¦ Thought it was overall internet connection, but everything else is fine.

1 Like

same for me - just down.

iOS app is down for me