Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Done…

2 Likes

I changed it to “or support”

1 Like

So apparently you are Rule Machine for the forum?

1 Like

Yes, And he can’t be bargained with. He can’t be reasoned with. He doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever!

But he will be back.

4 Likes

Hah… I was simply making a suggestion… do with it what you will… it’s worth less than the $.02 I gave it as a value. :slight_smile:

I say we change it along with all off the other threads randomly to random things.

1 Like

If you listen carefully, you can actually hear the sound a thread makes when it devolves into pure meta.

2 Likes

This thread is 4500+ posts of mostly noise and yet people are still mad when someone stumbles in wondering that the heck is going on…

3 Likes

Do those who have read them all (I have) understand what the heck is going on? I don’t.

Understand in what sense? How Rule Machine Works (yes), how the platform instabilities have affected things (sort of), why @bravenel left (mostly).

Updated: I also don’t understand some of the platform vagueries. Taking @bamarayne’s good advice, I moved everything I could to ‘Smart’ Lighting, to get things running locally on hub V2. This is a limited set, because it’s only things that operate based on one trigger (most of my automation relies on at least two - motion and lux).

After moving those things to local, I still get horrid performance in terms of time for a light to go on after motion is triggered (>7 seconds in some cases), for a Z-wave device sitting literally less than 2 feet from my hub. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again to @slagle, @alex, @Ben et. al. The first company that builds a hub that runs things primarily locally in a reliable way and supports Z-wave/Zigbee (heck, I’d take all Z-wave at this point) gets my money.

I don’t expect them to actually listen though, as they are at Samsung Dev Con this week promising more things they can’t deliver. :frowning:

I’m only still here because the other options are even worse.

1 Like

I understand that I’m now crash coursing on learning groovy.

The best app on the system, and the only thing available that does what I need is no longer supported.

The developer is gone. The software is dying. And the company will let it go.

The only way to preserve my setup is to learn it and keep it working myself.

I’m not upset, not in the slightest. I’m just going to do what I have to do.

5 Likes

In the event that you should become upset please allow me to direct you to the appropriate thread in which to voice your frustrations: Complaint Department

1 Like

Same here. I am also giving myself a crash course in groovy and plan to write what I need if if isn’t available from Smartthings or I don’t think I could support the app if the developer were to leave the community.

It’s been 30 years since I’ve done any coding but am finding it kind of enjoyable, relaxing and a bit rewarding when I figure something out.

Serious bummer! I am an ultra-new ST owner (it actually arrives tomorrow). In starting this morning to work on the ‘event logic’ I would like, I realized that that standard ST rules would be inadequate. I was at first delighted to come across your Rule Machine, then hugely disappointed to to hear that it had been pulled. I hope at some point you and ST will reconcile. It’s been decades since I did any significant programming, and I was hoping to implement ST at home without much effort. While I am unhappy about this, I can certainly empathize with your situation.

I still have the code for the smartapp (rule and ruleMachine).
The header is

• Copyright 2015, 2016 Bruce Ravenel
  • Version 1.9.0a 25 Mar 2016

Would it be useful to someone?

Not if it doesn’t include the Apache 2.0 licence…

4 Likes

Who’s up to creating a new app to rule them all (pun intended)?

I can pull the hard work, who’s up to getting ideas together and planning properly so that we get a product that is easier to use than RM (could never understand the logic behind having rules and triggers when everything is event-based, hence triggered).

What do you guys say?

Rules and Triggers work differently. They are not the same. Your logic is flawed.

3 Likes

@jnschemm Can you please elaborate? Thank you. As in, when do you use a trigger and when do you use a rule? And why would you not be able to use a trigger instead? Explain to me the major concept difference between the rule and the trigger. Can you use a trigger to do what you’d “normally” do with a rule?

a “Rule” consists of events AND evaluation of attribute states at the same time.
a “trigger” consists of events only
a “conditional trigger” consists of attribute state evaluations contained in the conditions, but are only evaluated when the specified trigger events happen

1 Like