Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Backup is possible. Restore is not, at least not automatically. The SmartApp “settings” variables are read-only except from the specific input fields in the UI. Rules need both settings and state to run, and there’s no way to convert the json back into the settings.

I think the point is, from a technical standpoint, there are lots of ways to implement a backup and restore process. Unfortunately, no such system has been implemented.

1 Like

back up and restore are completely possible FYI, @pstuart and I worked on a POC for this.
The restore involves leveraging the defaultValue property for input elements, state vars aren’t an issue, nor are most app properties.
It’s a hack, but it works. It’s also a ton of work to retro fit an app to advantage this, and due to the number of input elements in RM, not really practical.

5 Likes

Interesting. That’s good to know.

Truly hate to see this. While I completely understand and respect your decision, I’d like to echo the chorus of people saying this app has enabled me to do things with SmartThings that take it from a fun toy to a useful part of my life. Quick example: My wife has some health issues and has fallen partway down our stairs a few times. I now have rules that provide me with a notification when someone enters the stairway but doesn’t exit (much more complex than this actually). At this point, RM contains 90% of my useful activities for this platform.

4 Likes

More succinct than my reply, but with the same feeling. Ha!

2 Likes

This is a massive blow, I couldn’t even using Smartthings without Rule Machine. My Routines never triggered, nothing worked until I used this to automate.

1 Like

Yeah, this definitely sucks. I’ve been a huge proponent of SmartThings recommending it to everyone I can that has an interest in automating their homes, but without RM I don’t know if I can make that recommendation any more.

1 Like

Most of Rule Machine data / configuration is stored in preference “settings.*”. This is the case with most SmartApps.

Settings can be exported in dozens of ways, correct.

But they are read-only and cannot be imported.

@obycode’s SmartRules stores the rules in state and he provides an export / import feature.

1 Like

Not to beat a dead horse but settings can be imported into an un installed/un instantiated SA using the defaultValue property of any input…
Not ideal, not fun, but it is doable.

3 Likes

glad I did updates to latest version at the weekend.

2 Likes

I wonder what it would take from ST to encourage the “come back” we all hope for.

While I understand that RM will continue to function and it currently provides more capability than I currently use (or foresee me using), its more than that. This is the pebble that let the boulder roll. When other top contributes see that the platform wont stabilize any time soon, they’ll follow suit. Then the user base will too.

If my feeble mine can see that, surely the staff can…

2 Likes

new people cant get it either as its been deleted from git hub. its a shame to see such a monumental effort fall to the way side.

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from, but there is no chance to just leave the current version out there and not support it. So some of us can just try and figure out the issues ourselves? At least we would still have a rule machine that we can use even if it isn’t stable because of the ST platform.

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure what is happening here but I have been following rule machine from the start and would hate to see it die. It is by far the best smartapp to date. @bravenel please leave the source code out on GitHub. You won’t need to support it or be associated but I’m sure that there are many people who are not quite of the latest version. Me included. Also please make a statement about what it would take for you to continue to support Rule Machine. Thanks.

For those interested. I have saved the icons from both Rule Machine and GCal-Search as I designed these for Bruce and Mike. While I have no interest in hosting their code if they have made the decision to no longer provide it, for those that do have the apps already installed, here are the icons locations you can point your code segments to “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThings/master/Other-SmartApps/icons/iconname already in code

Rule Machine:

GCal-Search:

9 Likes

If anyone has the RM code from prior to the license change, that would be helpful in creating a fork/continuing this project. If you have a copy of it where it’s still under apache 2.0 license, speak out…

I have started some new apps in a separate thread that perform a limited subset of functions that don’t rely on application state, thus aren’t impacted by these ST issues. It’s no rule machine replacement, but it covers all my needs (I eliminated RM from my setup)

4 Likes

@slagle Do you have any Intel on being able to fix the platform and get rule machine up and running again

Rule machine is up and running…the platform isnt to its (RM) standards

@Xero whats the app name or link to it??

Yeah, I am trying to gather all the details.

4 Likes