Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

We will figure out how to get you unstuck without having to trash your rules. Working on it…

1 Like

Have you tried putting the Sonos in as the device to be tested? Would you try that… report back.

Could you go into your IDE / My Locations / List SmartApps / Rule Machine. Take a screenshot and post it here.

OK, we pushed another tweak to RM, 1.8.2b. Please update to this version, and try again. Hoping to get past that error.

Tried selecting sonos… no change. Will do screenshot next. oh… installing “b” first.

1.8.2b did the trick… was able to add a new command. As as you thought that text was stuck in the parameters field. I was able to clear that. Thanks!!!

4 Likes

There is no mechanism in ST to remove something that the user has entered, only the user can do that directly, as you just did. What we don’t know yet is how to do a better job at documenting and guiding so that users don’t get trapped like you did. But, at least we now have one hole in the code fixed… .

Thanks for helping find it…

thanks again… i made sure I cleared all of the fields as I backed out of custom rules this time. What was interesting was that the field was marked as an integer and clearly what was entered was a string so it looks like, based on the error in the log, RM was getting upset at trying to handle an integer when it was seeing a string. (that is my less educated guess though)

That was exactly what was happening. We put in a test to make sure it’s actually a number before attempting to convert it, and that’s what got you past the issue.

Now you know, as general practice, always clean up behind yourself in Custom Commands, removing everything that you’ve entered in reverse order of having entered it.

1 Like

Bit of a bug found possibly?
I have a rule that just lets me know when the fron door has been left open for too long.
I think somewhere in the 1.8.x updates the delay - Cancel may have stopped working. I always get a push now after the door has been opened whether it has reached the 10 minutes or not.
I have removed and re-entered as per usual testing.

I just created a rule exactly like this one, only with 1 minute instead of 10. It did not fail.

?? Something else going on maybe?

@daven: I can confirm I have this problem too. I have a rule that notifies me that my front door has been open for longer than five minutes. It’s worked fine for six weeks or so now. Until this morning when I open my front door to go outside closed it behind me. It wasn’t even open for 30 seconds and about five minutes later I got a notification it was still open. Here’s a screenshot of the rule.

Problem didn’t start until this morning.

This is called missing an event. It happens all of the time in ST. That is to say, there is a non-trivial event error rate where 1 out of X events are lost. I usually see this with lights left on that should have been turned off with no motion. But I can also see it elsewhere.

I don’t know the magnitude of X. You want it to be high. Sometimes, with ST, it’s clearly been lower than ideal.

Did you look in the logs to see if the events were all accounted for? This is a PITA for sure!!

Positive ST just messes with people. I mentioned this because it happens about once a day on 3-5 door openings in the last month, around 1.8.x.
I just did it 3 times and 2 times the Push expired and no notification and the 3rd time I got the Push.

Scheduled Jobs
Handler Next Run Time Prev Run Time Status Schedule
delayRuleTrue 2016-03-12 1:37:49 PM PST

delayRuleTrue 2016-03-12 1:56:49 PM PST WAITING Once
delayRuleTrue 2016-03-12 2:10:42 PM PST WAITING Once

Job History
Handler Scheduled Time Actual Time Delay (msec) Execution (msec)
delayRuleTrue 2016-03-12 1:56:49 PM PST 2016-03-12 1:56:49.405 PM PST 4 1228
delayRuleTrue 2016-03-12 1:37:50 PM PST 2016-03-12 1:37:50.559 PM PST 8 1198
delayRuleTrue 2016-03-12 11:58:48 AM PST 2016-03-12 11:58:48.488 AM PST 6 1075

I just thought it was ironic that Daven mentioned it today. And today’s the first time that I’ve ever experienced it. The next 10 or so times that I open my front door today, it did not happen. It’s all good :smile:

I’m confused, so help me out.

When you open the door a timer starts for 10 minutes. When you close the door, that timer is not cancelled, it is not unscheduled. Instead, a flag is set so that when the timer fires after 10 minutes, nothing happens, it is ignored. If during the 10 minute period, the door is opened again, a new timer is started replacing the old one, and the flag is reset waiting to be cancelled again.

So, just seeing the job history doesn’t reveal really what happened. If some of the scheduled jobs were now in the past, that’s a whole other can of worms, called “platform scheduling failures”.

I guess all I can really add is that the scheduled delayRuleTrue did indeed sit there for 10 minutes ( I watched it while refreshing) until the time elapsed and them was either cancelled (2 times) or went on to send a Push.

Hey I am not sure if this is the proper place to ask this since there is multiple threads but I was wondering about setting a private Boolean to false. I know you can change one, and change multiples but I seem to be having trouble doing both at the same time. For example if trigger one rule fires and that fires rule two. Is there a way for rule two to change both rule one and itself to false. It seems I can only either set its private Boolean to false or multiple others besides itself. The reason I ask is for a multiple check of if statements one time so they all disable with private Boolean.

i am sure it is in here but I cant find it. Is there a way to delete rules that you no longer need that when you go to remove it you get the your are not authorized… I have tried everything but I have had two rules that have been there for about 5 version changes that I can’t get rid of

Log into your IDE, My locations, List SmartApps. Click on Edit then Uninstall the rules you want.