Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

They could certainly replace Routines with RM. Routines are pointless.

3 Likes

They do provide you with a button that you can press to make things happen (which of course you could do with RM and a virtual button/switch) but other than that, yeah.

Actually, that could be carried over quite easily.

Routines are just a handful of actions, with a very limited ā€œAutomatically performā€ function. Pressing the button runs the actions.

I agree. I was looking at the routines tab a couple of days ago and thought, this is stupid. I can do all of this with RM and it works!

So are you hinting at buttons being implemented??? :smiley:

No, because there really isnā€™t any way to do that.

I have a virtual momentary button that I build into my rules as a ā€œfire when I want it toā€ trigger. I use it on things like my wake up ruleā€¦ If I get up early or ST fails to turn off the trigger then I can fire it.

I have a bit of a snag Iā€™m hoping RM can solve. Iā€™m running a routine that will run when motion is inactive at point A (condition) and starts at point B (trigger).

However the distance between the two isnā€™t far and the sensor at point A is still reporting motion in its blind state by the time anyone passes by point B, so it fails to run.

Any ideas how I can delay the evaluation of the condition rather than the action (which I think itā€™s all I can do currently)?

BTW Iā€™ve tweaked the sensor to reduce the blind state but as itā€™s in a busy area Iā€™m worried about battery drain and itā€™s still not quite enough anyway.

TIA

@bravenel Did you see SmartThingā€™s shoutout to you and Rule Machine on twitter?

6 Likes

Newest way? Really? Itā€™s not like he just developed it yesterdayā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t know how you can algorithmically overcome the lag problem. Even looking at it after the fact, is basically too late, isnā€™t it?

You can use one rule to launch the evaluation of another rule, and have the first one delay that action. The second one evaluates and takes action accordingly.

2 Likes

November 2015 can still be considered new.

1 Like

Bruce,

Is there any way to set a rule/trigger such that it only can run once in any X minute period? Basically, I am trying to set something up for an elderly person with a motion sensor in bedroom and bathroom. So the rule is motion in bathroom within 2 minutes of motion in bedroom and if not it would set a trigger. The problem I have is that when the person comes back to the bedroom (after going to the bathroom), the trigger goes off because there is motion (again in the bedroom but no motion in the bathroom).

So what I need is an ā€œadditional optionā€ for the rule/trigger not to be tested more than once in any given [X] minutes or the rule test to stay fixed for a period of [x] minutes or have the ability to have a trigger be any motion in the LAST [x] minutes.

Is any of this possible?

It would be possible with a Virtual Switch.

Use motion detector being active in the bedroom and a Virtual Switch for the bathroom. Tie the motion detector being active in the bathroom to setting the Virtual Switch on. Being a switch, it will stay on.

Set a rule to turn the Virtual Switch off after 10-15 minutes, whatever time period will work best so it resets itself.

The only potential issue I can see here is not having any sort of notice that they made it back to the bedroom safely, although I guess that could be done by setting up a rule with a trigger of bedroom motion and a condition of the Virtual Switch being on.

If my internet connection drops will a rule still work?

Iā€™m pretty sure there was no motion in the house and my wife was out so it should have been set to away but I donā€™t see any activity in my notifications that the rule happened.

Cheers,

Matthew

No. Rule Machine only runs in the cloud, as do all SmartApps except Smart Lighting.

OK, that explains it. Is there a way to follow how a rule has fired.

Currently if I look at recent for a device it shows when it open/closed, fired, etc.

Cheers,

Matthew

You can see them in Live Logging in the IDE, they log the events they receive and the outcomes.

Thank you!!
Been looking for this and will try it out! THX!

Bruce

Thanks for all the help, Iā€™ll dig into that later with my next test.

Cheers,

Matthew