Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

I hear you. I’m going to fix that tomorrow, to give you several choices instead of two.

@bravenel great Job on this one! Inam gonna try this out…

1 Like

I guess I am missing something. I installed it, and can set it’s timer… but how is it going to turn off any other device? seems this timer feature would need to be built into a virtual switch device or something?

edit the device, the settings are there. This is a virtual switch.
You can also set the timer by including it in another smart app as a dimmer, setting the dimmer level will start the timer with the level being used for the delay minutes.
Being a device, it isn’t capable of directly controlling another device, you always need a smart app for that.
It was designed to be used thus:
Smart app A activates button timer using on or setLevel, button timer runs, smart app B triggers from button off or button 1 pressed event of the button timer.
Admittedly the concept is foreign, but this device allows timed events to be simply introduced into @bravenels rule machine.

I think I get it… but it’s not going to work like I expected. If I set up a rule to turn on the light in my garage when the garage door opens, I also set this timer device switch ON. Then, set up another rule to turn off the light in garage when the timer device is OFF… then whenever I manually turn on the light, it turns itself off, so I end up with this: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3910779/useless-box-o.gif

1 Like

I’ve created a new topic for this device:

Lets move the conversation about it over here…

3 Likes

I have made an update to Rule Machine, and you should reload it from Github, and install two apps in the IDE. The main change is to make it a parent-child app. There are updated instructions in the original post above for how to install the two apps needed, the parent, Rule Machine, and the child app, Rule.

I also updated the choice of Actions available to include the following, each for true or false evaluations:

Switches to turn on
Switches to turn off
Dimmers to level A
Dimmers to level B
Locks to lock
Locks to unlock
Change mode
Run Routine

3 Likes

Is the parent app same as what @Mike_Maxwell posted or did you make changes?

There are minor changes, things like the app name. So you should get both files from Github. And there are significant changes to the main app, now called Rule.

4 Likes

This is so great. Thanks @bravenel.

I had a question about the best way to do one thing I’m trying to. Maybe this isn’t possible with Rule Machine.

I want to set a particular mode (Mode A or Mode B) depending on two conditions, Presence and the current mode.

For example:

If Presence arrives and mode is “Home”, set Mode to Mode A.
If Presence arrives and mode is “Away”, set Mode to Mode B.

Unfortunately I have to define the Home and Away modes as part of the condition of the rule, so the rule is triggered upon a mode change to Home or Away in addition to the presence arriving.

For example, is I am already at home (therefore my presence is active) and I set the mode to “Away”, then the mode is immediately changed to “Mode B”. My desire would be that only a presence change would trigger the rule, but that the condition would still be available to be checked.

i.e. If presence arrives while mode is “Away”, set Mode to Mode B.

Does that make sense? Should I be looking elsewhere?

you should be able to use Rule Machine for this. (if Presence, AND mode is away, set Mode to B) …but you’d have to do something slightly different to catch ‘arriving’ not just ‘present’

Great. That makes perfect sense. I already had the virtual switch created and was heading down that road I just wanted to be sure it was the most logical option.

I think that if I had mode restrictions in Rule Machine, so that the rule is only evaluated if not restricted, that would allow you to do this with two rules, as you suggest.

Mode restrictions are now implemented. With a mode restriction you can limit rule evaluation to only occur during certain modes. This is completely independent of the rule logic, and is applied first, before the rule is evaluated.

2 Likes

Is it tomorrow already?

3 Likes

When I define turning a switch (Aeon Labs Smart Switch) off when a temperature sensor (SmartThings Latest Multi Sensor) reads <= 32 degrees and then indicate that as the TRUE state and then go to click on the Select the Actions for False state to define .I am presented with “You are not required to perform the requested operation”

I want the False Action to be to turn a switch ON. I have it setup for one Condition.

Android version of Latest SmartThings App being used. If I use the back button to try and get around the issue and then click done I am presented with the swirling circle icon that indicates its “working” , but never comes back to the screen. Just trys to save indefinitely.

Yep, you stepped on a bug. It works for true, but not false. I will fix shortly. It’s not an Android issue.

2 Likes

Fixed… Got to redo Rule from Github

1 Like

I got everything installed just fine, and while creating my first rule I got distracted. I came back to the Smartthings apps a while later and now when I try to view my rule I get the “You are not authorized to perform the requested operation” error message.

Thoughts?