Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Has anyone else had issues with Rule Machine in the last day or so? I added about 6 new bulbs last night and can’t get into all areas of my existing rules to add them, nor can I add new rules. Going into the actions section shows an error. Are my Rule Machine days over?

You’re absolutely right, just tried again and the setting shows up. I also remember seeing it… however, when I was implementing rule machine and trying to go back and forth, that little aspect seemed to have been broken as I remember it there as well but it would never show up when I tried migrating the rule back to Smart Lighting.

Having said that, missing features are still: no parenthetical AND/OR conditions and only 10% increments for dimmers instead of any % I desire.

Thanks for straightening me out… checked it again and shows up today… never know what will happen tomorrow. Also appreciate the clarification that Smart Lighting is local execution, which I didn’t know.

Am I correct in the notion that this is another 3rd party app, meaning not SmartThings owned… What happens when that author pulls his code or decides to charge? ST needs to own a decent rule engine… Lastly, this looks to be IOS only.

Yes, it is third party. If he pulls it, then we move on or roll over and play dead.

Also, it’s Android. I’m not sure if he’s working on an ios version.

Its disappointing to see that Rule Engine is no longer available. I’m new to ST and was banking on using it for some complex rule needs. What alternatives are out there that you can suggest? Thanks.

I just checked a couple of my rules and things seem ok. Don’t uninstall RM, you can delete any bad or headless rules in the API/ Home/ List SmartApps/ Edit (top right).

A common way to corrupt a rule when editing is backing out of a section. It is better to use Done and come back to correct.

Also a good place to ask questions is Rule Machine - Get peer assistance here with setting up rules.

I just went on again to make sure I’m not crazy, I only see links to iTunes every time I click download along with the lovely iTunes logo and no Play store logo… I click “try now” or “download” and it always takes me to iTunes. Please share the Android link if there is one…

However, we’re still at the mercy of a 3rd party along with a price :slight_smile: and I’ve seen this engine but since I only saw iTunes (but have both types of devices) it’s not really an all-encompassing solution lacking the Android piece.

Thanks!

The new rule engine is still in production. It’s not released yet.

It’s a smartapp, not an android or ios. It shouldn’t matter what your phone is, if it can run a smartapp it should work(like RM did for both)

Also the license is GNU

*  This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
 *  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 *  the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
 *  (at your option) any later version.

Why should I use the GNU GPL rather than other free software licenses? (#WhyUseGPL)
Using the GNU GPL will require that all the released improved versions be free software. This means you can avoid the risk of having to compete with a proprietary modified version of your own work. However, in some special situations it can be better to use a more permissive license.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WhyUseGPL

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

3 Likes

Hey all. I don’t want to read through 4k posts. Why is rule machine gone?

1 Like

The author found that supporting rule machine was too difficult given the number of instabilities in the base SmartThings platform. SmartThings has since publicly committed to making the stability of their platform top priority, and has reached out to the author of rule machine and acknowledged publicly here in the forums that the issues users were running into were primarily SmartThings issues. We all hope that SmartThings succeeds in stabilizing the platform and that at that time Bruce will consider returning.

5 Likes

I think he’s gone for good and I predict another Rule engine will take it’s place with a GNU license.

3 Likes

@JZst and @bamarayne

The license is GPLv3, not Apache 2.0 - meaning that it cannot be changed to something else or turned private. Not sure if even I can do it. It’s open source software that has to stay open source. If I am not mistaken, some older versions of RM can be shared, if the license allows it. But then again I may be wrong. But I think the license changed Mar 21st 2016. Anything before that may be available for sharing - any licensing guru around?

I build/test on iOS. I haven’t fired it up on Android yet.

1 Like

Not a guru, but I am fascinated (?) with licenses (and hate legal red tape too, ironically).

The Apache 2.0 labeled versions (unless they have clear conflicting instructions labeled somewhere) are certainly “shareable”. I think the grey area is stuff that could be considered copyright outside the files, like the name “Rule Machine” and instructions and similar things on the Forum; … though I think there’s a terms of use somewhere that says everything that is written directly on the Forum is automatically CCANCSA … Apache 2.0! …

(NB: This is probably old and superseded by SmartThings overall Terms of Use).

https://community.smartthings.com/tos

.3. User Content License
User contributions are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Physical Graph has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Physical Graph’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Physical Graph’s reasonable opinion, violates any Physical Graph policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Physical Graph’s sole discretion. Physical Graph will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.

@tgauchat I took your advice on choosing the license. I want it to stay free and open source. By the way, GPLv3 does not prohibit asking money for the code, but it will prohibit not providing the source code and there is no restriction on what the buyer can do with said code, effectively rendering any payment ridiculous.

Not “ridiculous” at all!

GPL Licensed code is used in for-profit products all the time (legally!) usually by charging for compilation & installation tools, bug and security patching tools, and customer support. Check out RedHat and hundreds of other companies…

Heck, SmartThings is using various OSS in the Hub, etc.

Yeah, I guess the code is not what you’d be paying for. Installation and support is…

2 Likes

lol, and how are you predicting this?! ;))

I’m edumacated. And I really appreciate people who give without expecting to receive. I will donate (as I also told Bruce) to anything that saves me time. You are on the right track, keep it going and please lean on this community for support and encouragement. Any time you need it. If I had the time I’d be making a rule engine myself.

PS: that’s what you should call it IMHO. Rule Engine

4 Likes

I use the old ST scheduler… It sets your schedule perfectly to fire yesterday! It’s a great prediction to when you want to know what is going to happen in the past.

1 Like