Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

UPDATE:

There are a few feature requests that I’d like to deal with, and here’s an update on one of those:

Linked Rules:

Linked Rules are already possible with Rule Machine. All you have to do is to create a virtual switch in the IDE (or use a real one). For the rule that you would like other rules to refer to, make that switch both an Action for True (turn it on), and an Action for False (turn it off). Then any other rule that wants to link to the first rule simply includes that switch as a Condition.

There have been requests for 3 different “trigger” mechanisms for Rule Machine, beyond what is presently available: using a Momentary Button, using a Minimote button, and using a Routine.

You can use a Momentary Button as a trigger to cause an evaluation of the Rule. Someone had a problem with this not working. The trick is to only use the Momentary Button as a Condition, but not as part of the Rule. That way, when the Momentary Button is pressed, the Rule is evaluated. It won’t matter to the Rule what the state of the Momentary Button is after it is pressed.

Were I to implement a Minimote button press, or a Routine, as triggers, they would work the same way. All they could or would do is cause the Rule to be evaluated. I’d like to hear some feedback about whether this is really needed or not.

As for additional feature requests, I am starting a new topic specifically for Rule Machine Feature Requests. Please post feature requests and ideas there.

4 Likes