Routines not working or only partly working

@whoismoses gave a good succinct summary of the current state of inexpensive home automation: If the system has more features or is more flexible, it is probably less reliable. (If you are willing to spend much more money, around 10% of the cost of the house, you can get both full features and reliability in the professionally-installed high end systems, but that’s not what most people are looking for in this forum.)

There are many different systems on the low cost market in both the US and the UK, and they all have their own pluses and minuses.

I myself am quadriparetic (Use a wheelchair and have limited hand function) so reliability is right at the top of my list. I now use SmartThings only for convenience notifications, like knowing that the guestroom window is open when rain is expected. But I have moved anything that I really need to work to other more reliable systems, including Apple HomeKit. I get many fewer features, but I do get the reliability.

When SmartThings works as intended, it is absolutely my favorite home automation system. I just don’t have the same “Plan B” options as able-bodied people so I had to make system decisions on a case-by-case basis.

The following thread might be of interest: