Routines not triggering and/or are partially executing

This was my next question.

Does this seem to be the case for everyone else as well? Automatic (time or presence based) routine executions are shaky, but manual routine executions work fine?

For both my presence based routines (when the sensors used to work!) and the timed routines, they always always work just fine if you hit them manually.

When they do work on a timer I get “Performing for you at 7:00 AM as requested”. When the routines don’t fire, I don’t even get that part.

Routine isn’t complicated, it just turns on an outlet (that’s always off at 7:00AM) at the set time. No other conditions at all :slight_smile:

Manual execution of the routines does not always work for me
 about 50% of the time it will. It seems like particular combinations can cause it to “gum up” again. Wish I could provide more details, but it seems to really be random.

So I have been having the opposite problem - my ‘Good Morning!’ routine seems to run every hour or so all night! I noticed this looking at my thermostats - when I manually run ‘Good Night!’ at bed time they successfully drop back to the night time setting of 58. However within an hour or so, they jump back up to 64 (morning setting). The ‘Good Morning’ routine is set to run based on sunrise, so it is not an issue with presence sensors or false motion sensor activity. Anyway, I changed it to execute at a specific time, we will see if this helps.

yes, hitting the routine manually works fine for me as well. my I’m Back! routine just worked when i got home now, after not working yesterday. so frustrating.

Good information.

Can everyone send me their usernames for the IDE to me in a Private Message? I want to take a look at execution times for the automations attached to the routines.

I normally trigger mine manually via a Minimote but, I have a “When things quiet down” setting to run as a backup in case I go to bed early, I’m out of town, etc. Last night, it was the “When things quiet down” instance that only partially completed. I later triggered it manually and it worked fine.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from New Trouble With Modes & Routines (related to setlevel for dimmers/thermostats?):

@slagle - there appears to be some strangeness still with turning on (and potentially off) simulated switches. I have a ‘TV Lights’ and ‘Movie Lights’ routines which set some virtual switches on (which override some rules from Rule Machine). In both cases, one particular simulated switch is correctly turned on, but another is not (even though the feedback reports that both were turned on).

Thanks.

Thanks for letting me know, I’m gathering information to give to engineering.

1 Like

Thanks @slagle - trying a reboot to see if that helps at all
 I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Just found this thread while eating breakfast. My I’m Back routines were working as expected about a week ago.

But, since about a week ago, I’m having misses with my I’m Back routines (i have 3 separate routines): I get notifications and correct lights turn on when anyone comes home, but garage door is not opening via Liftmaster MyQ (cloud service).

Manually running I’m Back does work on all 3 routines.

I will email support tonight with today’s logs.

I have two routines that run at 11:00 pm and bext one at 11:01 pm. Both are essentially the same for redundancy. Last night the first one shows that it was executed, but none of the actions occured. The 11:01 routine did not even fire. So even with redundancy it failed. This morning however, Good Morning routine executed fine.

This morning my Turn off security routine fired at 6AM, on schedule, but the house wasn’t disarmed. House Member then triggered two sirens and a house full of lights at 6:26am when motion sensor in garage detected his presence getting into car and going to work.

Whether relevant or not, I noticed from event log that House Member also sent Echo command to turn on a light almost at exact same time Turn off security routine runs. I’m assuming this wouldn’t muck up event queue, but thought I would note it since you’re in exploration.

BTW, security system worked fine.

I’ll suggest the same thing here - People who manually run their routines seem to have a full working routine without fail, its just the ones that rely on an automatic trigger of some sorts. However this automatic trigger only fails when you’re using the one inside the routine.

Can people trying using Rule Machine to manually trigger the routine based on Rule conditions? That’s how I have my routines fire at the moment and have not yet had one failure, other than the SHM not disarming (which is currently being investigated by support).

I’m just trying to throw fix’s out there for people, however “thats not how its meant to work” they are.

Reboot had no effect @slagle. Thanks.

I imagine something else is going on today as well
 I can no longer add new devices to room (either through the app or through the IDE). The app throws an error, the IDE claims it succeeded, but it doesn’t actually add the device to the room.

Hey guys,

There has been movement in the right direction here. I am watching a few things that could help resolve a lot of these problems. I will let you know when those changes are live so I can gather feedback from you :smile:

5 Likes

ok great
 my i’m back! routine seems to be working for me all of a sudden (didnt change anything), but not for the other people who is on it (basically it is set to open a garage door when either of us arrive via presence). oddly enough it says ‘x has arrived’ when either of us arrive in activity feed.

it didn’t trigger today when my girlfriend arrived, but said ‘x has arrived’ 
 yet she didnt have the app open on her phone (it was closed manually last night). think that has anything to do with it?

Same thing I am experiencing: garage door does not open upon return, even though presence notifications are received.

As far as having the smart things app open I never have mine open while driving so it’s always closed when I return.

New for me last night: now my good night routine did not fire. I was able to manually run the good night routine successfully.